- advertisement -

New to the Forum

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Stacjean1, Jan 27, 2007.

1. Stacjean1

Stacjean1 Approved members

Hi. I just wanted to introduce myself. I am Stacey. My partner and I have 2 boys, aged 5 and 4. Our 4 year old was dxd on Sept. 1, 2006. It was sort of a "fluke" that it was found so early, so he is still honeymooning but recently we have had to give him more insulin than usual, so we are wondering if he is starting to come out of that?!

He is a real trooper, but is having some struggles recently trying to understand why he has diabetes, why his brother doesn't (although his brother has a dairy allergy, so cannot eat certain things and we carry an Epipen and all that). He says he wishes it would go away, everything that anyone would feel if dxd with something.

His school has really been good and we adore his endocrinologist and feel a lot of support from them, but know no other kids around his age with T1 and would like to meet some other parents of and kids.

This site looks very interesting. I just found it a couple of days ago. I am excited to delve into it!

2. JenFur

JenFur Approved members

Hi, and welcome to the forum. Sorry, you had to join.:(

I just found this forum a few months ago, only took me 6 years! I don't know how I missed it.;) It is really hard for kids when they think they are the only ones around with D. Does your Endo have any support groups? Check in your area for JDRF or even a diabetes camp. We have been going to family camp and it is a good way to meet others. I know it helps my kids when they see others doing the same things they do.

I'm sure some others will check in with some good advice. Lots of big hugs in the mean time. :cwds:

Jennifer

3. Emmasmommy

Emmasmommy Approved members

Hi and welcome! Sorry you had to join the group. Im new Here as well I just found this site a few days ago and we have been dealing with D for about 16 months!
    When my daughter was first D we were blessed to have another D mom in the hospital at the same time wich has been a great blessing having someone to bounce your ideas off of and someone to vent with who knows what you are going trough. I know that with our hospital they have parents that have volenteered to be contacted by other familys when they are first dx or just if they need someone to talk to. There are really great D camps where we are from however they are for children much older then mine (she is 2) the age to go to camp here is 7. But its still a great place to start looking.
    I wish you all the best. I guess I have a blessing in the sence that my daughter will never know any diffrent then D becuas she was dx at 14 months. It will get better and he will learn to accept it and I will be praying for him im sure its hard being dx when your a bit older and you know what life is like with out D.
    Hugs and prayers

4. beckybuckley

beckybuckley Approved members

welcome -- and sorry at the same time! I just found the site about a month ago but I have learned soooo much. And it's definitely helped ease my heart -- I'm sure you've been questioning everything you do nowadays! good luck and check back often. Even if you don't have a particular question -- there's always a new post that most of us can relate to.

5. Mama Belle

Mama Belle Approved members

Welcome! To echo what others have said, sorry you had to join the club. I just found this place about a week ago, but my daughter has had D for almost 5 years. This is a great place and I wish I had found it sooner.

It is hard to be the only kid around with Diabetes. I was talking to my daughter about this last night (we were chatting about the Diabetes/Disability issue in the other thread) and she mentioned that the hardest part about D was that it made her feel left out from her friends. This isn't just because she has it and the other kids don't, but because of the way D can interfere with her routine, actually causing her to miss out on stuff with her friends. This is an ongoing battle, to try and figure out how to help our kids not feel so left out and alone. Good luck with everything and ask plenty of questions if you have them. I've been dealing with my daughter's D for a while now and I have still learned valuable information from this place!

6. sherlynn01

sherlynn01 Approved members

Hi Stacey welcome to the board, Sorry you had to join the board but i am sure you will find alll kinds of info to help you out alone the way! I know I have, And by the way my daughters name is stacey!

7. zimbie45

zimbie45 Approved members

Hi stacy
    And welcome.. SOrry to you had to join us.. BUt glad you did.. we are a great bunch.. lots of great support and advice.. please ask anything..

8. Colinsmom

Colinsmom Approved members

Good morning and Welcome- wish we could have met under other circumstances!

I will ditto what others have said- see if there is some sort of support group in your area. You endo may even know of another girl her ago that they could introduce her to. Maybe that girl wishes she knew someone with D too, but doesnt know where to begin.

You could also start a support group in your area using the help of your endos office. We have a moms group that meets once a month and it keeps me sane! And I found it through my endo giving me a flyer about a get together at a local resturant. Through that you may meet someone with kids your daughters age. Good luck to you!

Gayle

9. Threebeans

Threebeans Approved members

Hi Stacey,

Welcome to the club. We are new members to the club also. Our son was dx'd 12/19/06 and it was a big shock.

there are a lot of great people here that have gone through all the trials and errors that you are going to face. I spent days reading past messages and learned so much from them all. I think you will find that it is a great help reading the posts here and finding out that you are not alone.

One area that has helped us out is the chat rooms.

David