- advertisement -

New to site

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Mommii Karen, May 24, 2010.

1. Mommii Karen

Mommii Karen Approved members

Hi! Just wanted to introduce myself. My daughter Tori is 11, and was dx'd T1D just about 1 year ago. She is currently on MDI - Novolog & Lantus, and doing amazingly well! I keep wondering when/if she is going to meltdown....and this last week it finally happened.

Not sure what triggered it, maybe a combination of things. She is just finishing 5th grade, and feels very comfortable at school with her teachers & nurses. Next year she will go to the middle school, and everything changes! Also, she has been expressing interest in getting a pump, but the more research and info we look at, the more upset she seems to be. Maybe the reality of this lifestyle is just setting in....maybe she's entering that wonderful adolescent stage (she is almost 12)...either way, she is feeling very different and very alone at this point!

Her Dr. told us about this forum, and she has posted a message in the kids area in hopes of meeting and talking to some other kids "just like her".
    -Thanks!

Last edited: Jun 9, 2010
  2. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Hi Karen, welcome to CWD:) I told Tori about the kids section down below. I was thinking she might get more replys from kids her age there. There are alot of kids in Tori's age group here, many of them are on pumps, some of them are still doing shots. Are there any kids at her school with diabetes? Maybe there is support meetings or get togethers at the endo clinic where you bring her. Im sure that puberty makes it very difficult for kids to feel that they are different. Im not quite there with Steven yet.

Does your family watch American Idol? If not watch the next episode. Crystal Bowersox is hopefully (crossing my fingers) going to win! Crystal has type 1 diabetes. Im sure Tori knows that Nick Jonas has type 1 diabetes also. There are many famous people with type 1 diabetes. I think our kids are real special and very, very brave people.

3. VinceysMom

VinceysMom Approved members

Hi Karen, I see you are from NE Ohio, as am I. I have met a wonderful group of Mom's and we started this month getting together for dinner and plan to do it once a month for support, share experiences, tips, knowledge. I will send you a PM and if you are near us in location, we'd love to have you join us.

Best wishes, Kathy

4. Kayla and Ethan's Mom

Kayla and Ethan's Mom Approved members

Welcome! I hope you daughter can find the support she needs from some peers here. This is a wonderful site full of great information and people!

5. Mommii Karen

Mommii Karen Approved members

Thanks for the replys! Tori was excited to have some messages to read last night--I think this is going to be a great place for her to put her mind at ease.
    To answer your question Becky, she does have 2 other kids at her elementary school, also T1, but not in her same grade. There are a total of 29 type 1 diabetics within our school district (which consists of 4 elementary schools, 1 middle-school, 1 high school). I believe there is another (girl) in her grade, from a different elem, that will be joining her at the middle school next year... but she doesn't know her at this point.

I feel rather lucky, as our school district has made it a priority to care for these children. The nurse will be setting up a meeting with her teachers, principal, office attendants, etc. to go over her schedule just before the beginning of the year in the fall. We will be able to set up anything at that time--breaks for testing, snacks, or any other special accomodations we may need. Basiscally, she has a free pass to the clinic at any time-no questions asked.

I'm sure the transition will go smooth. It's more the anxiety of the unknown that gets to Tori!