- advertisement -

New to site, Hello

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by MomtoPatience, Oct 1, 2010.

1. MomtoPatience

MomtoPatience Approved members

Hello,

My name is Tori I am a 38 year old mother of three children. My youngest dd Patience 6 years old was diagonsed with insulin resistance last year. We had discovered that because she was gaining weight very fast. Like 30 extra pounds a year. By age five she had reached almost 100 pounds. (please know we were taking her to different dr.s) She and our family were guests on the Dr. Phil show. Since the program she has lost 25 pounds. And is on a very low sugar meal plan. I myself have type 2. So I am here to learn for her. She is still under the guidance of a nutrionist that has helped her very much. I really need support in ideas in how to handle this new way of life for her. For a year she has started the journey.
    But I was hoping to join for ideas on how to handle holidays,and every day life for her so she does not feel so different than the other kids.
    I hope it is ok that I have joined. I know my daughter does not have diabetes. And I am fighting my best to insure she doesnt. I have type 2.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2010
  2. kiwiliz

kiwiliz Approved members

Helo Tori and welcome. It is great you have joined! I hope you can find lots of ideas to help your daughter - I think everyone benefits from a good diet and the more info you can get the better.

As an aside - if you know any children with type 1 - they will probably be having a balanced diet as well. Always makes you feel better, especially when you are a kid, to know you are not alone.:)

3. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Hi Tori and welcome:) Most of us have children with type 1 diabetes which is an autoimmune disease. They need insulin every day for the rest of their lives. There are some adults in here with type 2 diabetes. You may be able to get some info here about nutrition and exercise to keep your daughter in good health and hopefully free of type 2 diabetes. Good luck to your family

4. MomtoPatience

Thank you both for the welcome, It was very sweet. And also I really wanted to say I by no means want to offend anyone here. I watch my grandmother suffer from type 1. I hate diabetes, and could not imagine if my children had it. And I am very scared as a mother that it could go in that direction.

We were not parents that fed our daughter tons of junk food, or let her be a couch potato. We had taken her to 3 dr.s and no one could answer.Each time we would go to a nutrinoist it would be a different one, or they would give wrong advice. They never checked her insulin. It wasnt until we were at our last rope and went on the show did they reveal her problem.
    I also hate autoimmune diseases i have Lupus But did not realize it till i kept losing pregancys. Thank you for the welcomes and please know i came here to learn how to deal with this for my daughter. I am very sorry we are all here.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2010
  5. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Hi and welcome, Tori. I have type 1 diabetes, and that's what most people on here are familiar with, but feel free to hang around and glean any information you can. :cwds: The majority of us do not follow a "diabetic diet," because we are able to adjust our insulin dosages in order to eat a healthy diet just like anybody else, but there may be some people who eat low-carb. Good luck! It sounds like you are doing all you can for your daughter.

6. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

I wanted to offer my welcome as well. As most on this site, my child has Type 1, which, as you have learned is quite different in treatment from insulin resistance which can work up to Type 2. I don't think there is a special diet that any Type 1 follows as even when there is no eating, insulin must be given externally.

My understanding is that diet and exercise are the key parts to controlling insulin resistance. I wanted to attest to the fact that exercise makes a HUGE difference in how much insulin is needed. When my son is active, he needs less insulin and has fewer ups and downs in his blood sugar.

I hope you can get your daughter out and about to be active as a child can be. As far as the holidays, cutting out the sweets entirely won't work. I would ask the nutritionist about having some of the special foods every now and then. I know when I try to lose weight, I can counter the extra holiday food with more activity.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2010
  7. MomtoPatience

Thank you Amy I am going to change my wording, I meant very healthy- low carb way of life. Basically she has very little sugar.And we never call it a diet to her. I just want holidays and parties at school to be easy for her. She seldom asks for the sugar, but i hate it for her things are different than her classmates as everyone here wishes things were different.

8. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Luckily for your daughter, it doesn't work that way. Type 1 is not caused by insulin resistance or obesity.

9. MomtoPatience

Yes I am very sorry, I did not realize when I made my intro it would go to T1. Please know, my heart is in the right place. My daughter has challenges and i will be sure to post on the recipe board and T2. Bless you- very sorry. What I meant by my statement is i do not want her to get T2 like I have.

10. LenasDad

LenasDad Approved members

I don't think that's what she meant... My reading was that she is concerned that her daughter's insulin resistance may develop into Type 2 Diabetes.

11. MomtoPatience

Thank you Lena's Dad, That is exactly what I meant. Although my dd does not have diabetes i do not want her to develop it. - I am very sorry for the challenges that all children face. Was never comparing her insulin problem to
    T1. I realize that this is a very close group of parents, and I am hoping at least I could post on boards related T2 because i have T2.
    I posted on pregnancy and diabetes and got a pretty harsh reply. - Im just a down to earth person-

Once again did not realize this was for T1. thank you

12. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I'm a fairly suspicious / cynical person, and you're coming across to me as being a nice person with good intentions. :) This site is for children with diabetes, not just type 1, and I don't think you should worry about whether or not you 'qualify' to be here - the only issue might be that you could struggle to find the information you are looking for on a board filled with parents of children with type 1.

13. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Hi and welcome.

I'm just curious as to whether a complete blood work has been done for your daughter, including thyroid testing, specifically hypothyroidism?

Also, I would suggest a focus from the fear of food to welcoming a new relationship to food. Knowing where food comes from and what it does to the body is a great way to let go of the fear one may have that this food is "bad" and that is "good". A family approach is probably the best way to go, and I think a visit with a reputable nutritionist would be helpful.

Exercise, like someone mentioned is also great for increasing insulin sensitivity.

Best of luck.

14. MomtoPatience

Thank you, Paula, yes she actually has been to a peditric endo, and we checked thyroid, And they did a a lipids test that determines metabolic make up.

Her nurtitonist is a very good one.

Anyway I am here to learn to cope with this new lifestyle for her, such as Halloween, birthday parties. And learn new sugar free recipes. And get knowledge for myself. I am T2 and hope to have one more child. She recently had to get glasses for reading due to her insulin resistance. We are hoping things will change with that. Please know we were not one of these parents that said here eat what you want. We had struggled for 3 years going to dr.s And we have two other children "normal weight and size"

Your very correct it is for the Whole family.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2010
  15. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

The fact is, most children with Type 1 diabetes eat "normally" and most of us don't do a lot of sugar free cooking. Our issues, when it comes to food, concern dosing insulin correctly for sweets and judging the fat content of foods so as to time the insulin to peak performance.

It might be wise to turn to the cookbooks and food substitution techniques you've used to manage your type 2, if the goal is to reduce fast carbs and their impact on your daughters blood sugar.

16. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Oh, one more thing, check with your nutritionist about using foods low on the Glycemic Index.

17. MomtoPatience

Sarah Maddie's mom- Thank you, I never knew it was like that. Please know the thought of my daughter developing type 2 scares me. And I came here for my own education. Although we have one the best nutrionist in the world, that gives very good advice.

Sometimes it feels like she is in her own special group at school. The one glass of juice or piece of candy will hurt her.- Thank you for explaining. This is a lifetime change for her.