- advertisement -

New to Gluten Free

Discussion in 'Celiac' started by chkpea, Dec 22, 2010.

1. chkpea

chkpea Approved members

someone recently said to me that I might be gluten intollerant. So, I am going to try to go gluten free in the new year for a month and see if there are any positive changes...i.e. energy, weightloss, brain fog relief, bloated feeling gone....so I am looking for some good sites to go to to get easy to follow info on what to eat and not to eat.
    thanks

2. aklap

aklap Approved members

Hi ChkPea,

It's great that you are willing to try the gluten-free diet (GFD) to see if it improves your health. However, it's best to get any Celiac testing done before going gluten-free. After that 1 month trial, you will need to go back on gluten should you decide to get testing done. Some people have a hard time going back on gluten after they've seen what it's like being GF. This gets to be a slippery slope because without a definitive diagnosis, some people have trouble remaining 100% GF - it really depends on the type of person you are. Myself, I don't have an official diagnosis [not from the lack of trying - I was only tested for celiac, not Non-Celiac Gluten Sensitivity] and I've not had any desire to return to ill health.

All that being said - if you're only going to try it for 1 month, that's not long enough to really skew the test results according to Dr. Rodney Ford.

Also - be aware that 1 month may not be long enough to really tell. Since everyone reacts and recovers differently, you may need several months of being GF. Add to that fact, the GFD can have a steep learning curve, so it may take you awhile to find & remove all gluten. Gastro issues - you are more likely to notice changes quicker than neurological [brain fog] issues.

The easiest and best way to do a GFD is to strip your diet of all processed foods and replace them with "whole foods". Whole foods are those food that are not processed or minimally processed - fresh fruits and veggies, un-marinaded meats, poultry & seafood. Most processed foods either are gluten foods or have gluten added to them. Gluten is found in wheat, barley, rye and oats by contamination.

You might check out my Gluten-Free Diet Boot Camp, it's got lots info for those just starting out.

Good luck! Please stop back in let us know how you're doing.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2010
  3. chkpea

chkpea Approved members

thanks for your reply. I actually had the celiac test done last year and it came back fine. I just think that if I did eat a "cleaner" diet that I would feel, look and perhaps lose this weight that just won't come off. I can see myself doing this for a long as is needed.