- advertisement -

New to G4...question

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Beach bum, Mar 2, 2013.

1. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

So we started in a G4 study on Thursday. So far, it's been an interesting few days. It's fascinating to see what my daughters BG's have been doing throughout the day.

Question though, we are finding that there is a variance of about 20 points between finger pokes and the G4. Is this normal? For example today it showed she was 86 with a down arrow. Did a finger stick and she was actually 66. Went to calibrate and finger stick 1,2 were 130, 131 yet the G4 said she was in the 150's. Just wondering if this is normal???

As a result we've changed her low alert from 80 up to 90...

2. swellman

swellman Approved members

In our experience the first 2 finger sticks are always iffy but close. Your's doesn't surprise me.

Secondly, I would stop thinking in terms of "points" and start thinking in percentages because that's how the accuracy is measured. At 100, 20 points is 20% and that, in my opinion is a tad outside it's capability. However, at 300, 20 points is nothing - zero difference.

Thirdly, you need to know there is a lag in when the CGM detects BG and what the real BG actually is. When flat, this isn't a big deal but then you are quickly falling or rising then, yes, you can easily see a difference. A 86 and a pretty good down slope and a finger stick of 66 seems entirely normal. You need to anticipate the lag time with steep slopes.

3. Beach bum

Yes, makes sense.

Having a hard time taking the lag time into consideration. Both times, she had been swimming and the drop was moderate(according to the arrows), so was a bit surprised at the difference between the two numbers. I was anticipating that the two numbers would be relatively close.

Still, so far it's been a great tool to have. We caught two lows that if we had let ride, could have gone down very quickly.

4. swellman

swellman Approved members

I have no experience with swimming so I just want to make clear that I don't yet know how that will affect things. I suspect that swimming might be different than not so ... take that for what it's worth - complete speculation.

5. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

Once you use a CGM for a while you may come to appreciate that 20 points off really does not matter. 70 and 90 are basically the same thing, 180 and 200 are the same thing. Just steer for the lowest target you can achieve without hypo's and don't worry about the 20 points. No matter what you'll be worlds better off than when BG used to go to 40 or 300 and you weren't even aware of it!

6. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

We have had really close #s most of the time, like 5 to 10 points within. We have not been so good about sticking with one meter however, ... I wonder if anyone does that?

We restarted the sensor today after a week - first #s were off by 40 points but they seem to be narrowing.

Hope you love it as much as we are :cwds:

7. Lee

Lee Approved members

Raising my hand here - we are one meter users.

8. Sarah Maddie's Mom

LOL, you goody-goody :p

9. Beach bum

That's what I figure. It's amazing what we have been seeing and we've headed a few things off at the pass! Watching what food alone or food then exercise is fascinating!

10. Beach bum

Liking it very much so far. Lol. We used 2 meters today because we forgot the other one...oops!

11. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

I personally find days 1-3 less reliable than days 3-10. It's sort of like it learns.

12. Beach bum

Interesting.
    Actually the biggest problem is that the nurse did not use Skin-tac at insertion, so trying to keep it down is a problem. We were away from home and had to use surgical tape. Worked well, but irritated the heck out of her skin. Will reinforce tonight with IV-300, but that stuff peels for us, so I don't even know if it's worth it.

13. Mish

Mish Approved members

we end up reinforcing with hypafix and that's even if we do use skin-tac. But then we get a good week or more from the hypafix and all is well. (cut a hole for the transmitter.)

also, I find that I calibrate more on the first few days and then we have great numbers the rest of the time.

14. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

Have you tried opsite flexifix? If you rub the edges down with your finger nails you should be able to get it to stay on indefinitely. I use it for Medtronic sensors and can literally get weeks out of it. It also doesn't get gross looking on the edges like the IV 3000.

Here's a link:

http://www.amazon.com/Nephew-OPSITE...id=1362286373&sr=8-3&keywords=opsite+flexifix

15. Sarah Maddie's Mom

That's what I'm using on the edges of Maddie's sensor adhesive now. It took me a bit to get comfortable with it, but it's neater than others and lasts and lasts.;);)

16. Lee

Lee Approved members

pft...you know better...

Here is a :rolleyes: just for you;)

17. Beach bum

Thanks for the heads up. Will order some today, I've heard others talk about this.

18. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

Looks great. Would I need the 2" or 4" wide for a G4 sensor?

19. selketine

selketine Approved members

Opsite flexifix is great! You may have to cut off any peeling parts and put down some more as time goes on - depends on how long you wear your sensor. I get the 4" roll.

I always think of that line from the gospel song "was blind but now I see" - yeah a Dex is like that - LOL!

I agree with this. And seeing an 86 mod down - he is almost always going to be lower than that - 66 wouldn't surprise me. Now if it said 86 straight and she was 66 then not so good.

Glad you are loving it!

20. Mish

Mish Approved members

Opsite was always rashy for us. Sadly. :(

Darryl, I'd go with the 4" of either the opsite or the hypafix. Then just cut the hole for the transmitter and slap the whole thing over, allowing the transmitter to be free.