- advertisement -

New to forum

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by chantal, May 11, 2010.

1. chantal

chantal New Member

My 4 1/2 year old daughter was just diagnosed with type 1 diabetes last Wednesday. She is still in the hospital and hopefully get to come home on Friday. Right now I am still in shock as to how this all happened. I'm not sure how to feel right now, everything is so new, and I am trying to take a positive outlook on it for the sake of my little girl.
    If anyone can give me any advice on how to deal with this I would really appreciate it.

2. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Hello,
    (You may want to post this over in the Introduction section)

I just wanted to say welcome, but sorry you have to be here. You have found a great site for support and information. The early days are very tough, you are overwhelmed emotionally, sleep deprived, and scared. But over time you will become more comfortable dealing with all the things you need to do to live with this illness. You will find a "new normal" believe it or not and things will get into more of a routine. All the parents here are proof of that. Try and focus on the day to day tasks, so as not to become overwhelmed.

Here are some books you may find useful dealing with diabetes:

The "bible" of childhood diabetes, Understanding Diabetes (aka The Pink Panther book) by Dr. Peter Chase of the Barbara Davis Center at the University of Colorado.
    http://www.uchsc.edu/misc/diabetes/books/ud11/ud11.html

Think Like a Pancreas: A Practical Guide to Managing Diabetes with Insulin [ILLUSTRATED] by Gary Scheiner, Barry Goldstein

Sweet Kids: How to Balance Diabetes Control & Good Nutrition with Family Peace, Second Edition by Betty Page Brackenridge, MS, RD, CDE & Richard R. Rubin, PhD, CDE. Published by the American Diabetes Association, 2002. 250 pages. Softcover. US$16.95.

Type 1 Diabetes: A Guide for Children, Adolescents and Young Adults -- and Their Caregivers by Ragnar Hanas, M.D. Published by Marlowe & Company, New York, 2005. ISBN 1-56924-396-4. US$34.95

Finally, in addition to the forums there is a chat room here where you can talk to other parents in "real time".

http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/chat/

Hang in there :cwds:

3. Our3girls

Our3girls Approved members

Welcome and sorry. I found this site a few weeks after dx and it has been a huge wealth of knowledge and support from others that do understand what you are feeling. The way you are feeling is normal, so I hope you do not feel like you are alone. Unfortunetely/fortunetely ;) you will look back before you know it and think this has become your new "normal", amazing how you can take something on and embrace it even when it is not something you want to. One thing I wish I would have heard up front is you can not control diabetes, you can only do the best you can to manage it. Sometimes you will have great numbers and other times you will be on a rollercoaster and you just have to ride it out the best you can. So I guess I am trying to say- you can do it! and I hope you get the same support here as I have to keep me going!! (((HUGS)))

4. Seansmommy

Seansmommy Approved members

Hi and big hugs. I'll tell you what I wish I had been told at dx. It WILL be okay. You and your child WILL be okay. It really does get easier. You won't always feel so scared and fragile. There is nothing you did to cause this to happen. Don't ever hesitate to ask for help and advice. Cwd is a great resource for advice, information and support. Great place to vent as well. You are not alone. And again big hugs.

5. ronellebilly

ronellebilly New Member

wow....its very scary isn't it...My 4 and 1/2 year old son Billy was diagnosed on the 22nd August so about 5 weeks ago....He was in a diabetic coma for 28 hours.....was a terrible first presentation...I hope you get lots of good support.....and always ask for help.

6. Hayden'sMom

Hayden'sMom Approved members

Hi and welcome..

Sorry you had to meet us all here, but so glad you found us!

My son was 4.5 when diagnosed and we are almost a year into it. It is so hard to make a new "normal" around diabetes which is nothing near normal... and some days are worse than others. But if I can offer you any advice, it is that you will get "used" to it.. and it gets easier... and your child will be okay. Be kind to yourself and trust your gut... I have found that mine (though, extremely medically and mathmatically challenged pre-diabetes) is usually correct :) This site is my go-to and my support, and I really credit the wealth of information I have gathered here in helping us "make" it this far!

Good luck...

7. Annapolis Mom

Annapolis Mom Approved members

Chantal, I know just how you feel. My little girl was diagnosed right before her 4th birthday. It's been almost 3 years now and I remember how difficult those early days/weeks/months were. I am glad you are trying to have a positive attitude--I believe that is essential for your health and your daughter's health.

Of course, a positive attitude doesn't mean that you're not upset by what's happening. You should give yourself plenty of slack when you're not feeling positive.

One of the most helpful slogans I made up for myself and my daughter is "small diabetes, big Hannah." We try and keep the diabetes to as small a part of her life as possible. And we enjoy the very big life that she lives.

I remember the early days, wondering if I could ever be happy, wondering if I was even allowed to be happy. I am pleased to tell you that these days I am bursting with happiness, as is my daughter, my husband, and my non-d son. As I think about our 3-year diabetes anniversary coming up at the end of this month, I can truly say that these have been the best 3 years of our lives. Not because of the diabetes, not in spite of the diabetes, but along with the diabetes.

You will face some difficult times, no doubt (I still do), but you have all the joys of motherhood coming to you, and you will appreciate them far more, because you won't take them for granted.

Best wishes and good luck.

8. ronellebilly

ronellebilly New Member

hey annapolis mom...I really dig that small diabetes...big hannah thing and if you don;t mind i might steal it...small diabetes big billy.......thats cute as.

9. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

I'm so sorry about your daughter's dx. How is she feeling and adjusting? My son was a few months past his 4th birthday at dx as well. We just passed the 3-year mark.

How to deal with it? One day at a time. Try not to get too overwhelmed by the big picture and the things you don't know right now. Concentrate on mastering the basic care of your daughter and helping her to adjust to this new thing in your lives. Keeping as much that was normal before in your lives will help reassure her. Maintain as many routines as you can. My sister's best advice when my son was dx was that I would be amazed how strong and resilient he would be. And she was right. My son adjusted faster than I did. My sister also recommended that I cry in the bathroom.:( And I did. Keeping as calm and collected in front of a child this age is important to how she will adjust. That said, when my son says, I hate diabetes...I don't hesitate to say I do, too! You don't have to act like it's something it's not. But she will take her cues from you. At dx, the nurses said to try to make D care like brushing your teeth...just something you have to do to stay healthy. That is overly simplistic....but it has to be just a part of her day where she does something to care for herself...keep the drama to a minimum. Do not overwhelm your child with "you have diabetes now and so everything will be different." Let her eat what she used to eat and do what she used to do. Fit D into your life...not your life into D. My son didn't even know the word "diabetes" or "insulin" for the longest time after dx. We just called it his medicine, and gradually eased him into learning terms and what was going on. Don't give her more than she asks for or needs.

Be kind to yourself, and be prepared to grieve. This is a process...not something that happens all at once. A marathon...not a sprint...so pace yourself. Let yourself feel whatever you are feeling and accept it. It will not always feel so scary, stressful, and overwhelming. Remember how you felt bringing your first newborn home from the hospital?? I couldn't believe they let me bring her home and expected ME to take over! It is a similar, if less positive, feeling with D. Kind of freaked out at the beginning, but you will find your confidence and realize that you can do this.

Tips I wish someone would have told me at dx? Do not go out and buy sugar-free everything. You are counting carbs, not sugar, and much sugar-free stuff is just as many if not more carbs. Get a good scale. Some will accept codes and give you the carb count of things you weigh. Get a Calorie King book that lists carb counts of most foods...even at restaurants. I wish someone had reassured me that my son would NOT pass out if his BG hit 70! In fact, my son had a 33 this summer and he was acting pretty normal. He was actually excited to reach a new "record" on his meter!:rolleyes: If your daughter does not feel lows at first, she can learn. Despite the 33, my son is now excellent at feeling his lows, usually catching them in the 60s. It took him about a year past dx to get good at it. At first he felt hungry...not he feels "shaky." Conversely, highs WILL come down eventually...try your best not to panic when you see a 300 or worse. Learn about sick day management now...before you need it...and have things on hand before you need them.

Search out success stories of adults living with D. Your daughter will be one of them one day! I have two adult nieces with D...one has two beautiful healthy kids, the other is a flight attendant who competes in triathalons and is 100 times healthier than I am!;)

Keep in touch. This is the best place for support and advice...and someone is always here for you. Take care!:cwds:

10. spamid

spamid Approved members

Chantal,
    So sorry you had to join us, but you have found the best place in the world for help and encouragement! I will echo what the others have said, it is hard in the beginning, ask lots of questions, nothing is too dumb or simple. Don't blame yourself for this, instead focus on taking care of you daughter. It's also okay to cry and rant and be angry if you need to.

And...coming from someone who has been doing this for 6 years now, this will not stop your child or you from doing anything. It will get better, and you will be amazed how strong you both will be.

(((HUGS)))

11. Christopher

NOTICE: This thread is from May of 2010. The OP has not had any activity since then and will probably not see any new responses.

12. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

Thanks for the heads up! Never check those darn dates! How did it pop up here again so much later??

13. caspi

caspi Approved members

Looks like another new poster (only has 2 posts) found it in the archives and responded. Which is impressive, considering when I first came on to CWD it was all I could do to figure out how to respond to a current post, lol! :rolleyes:

14. Christopher

That is correct.

15. momma_fish2007

momma_fish2007 Approved members

Well said!! I was so sure it was a death sentence but here we are 3 years later, still kickin! You will get through this, there are gonna be days you bawl but you are going to realize that the best way to help your baby is to compose yourself as best you can and find a safe place (such as here) to vent

Julian is about the same age so if you need.to message someone, I would love to hear from you :)

16. 2type1s

2type1s Approved members

Welcome...I also had a 4 year old diagnosed (she is almost 17 now) seems like forever ago, but can remember the feelings like yesterday. Felt them all over again when my youngest was dx'd as well. Now I can say that most days are good, and this website is GREAT!

17. ronellebilly

ronellebilly New Member

Sorry guys...guess I am the new poster...I didn;t look at dates.

18. cm4kelly

cm4kelly Approved members

My son is 4 1/2

My son is 4 1/2 now, but was diagnosed at 2 1/2. We have all been there. This is a long learning process, but your child will be fine.

I just found the community here to be great! We have a wonderful pediatric ENDO, but they don't live with small children 24 hours a day and deal with what we have