- advertisement -

New to Forum

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by SueP, Dec 5, 2008.

1. SueP

SueP Approved members

Hi. I'm new to the forum, so I thought I would post. It was important to my 15 year old daughter who has Type 1 diabetes that I join. She was dx'd 3/28/05. I've always been uncomfortable with forums and with talking to people so forgive me if I just start out reading. Iam well versed in diabetes, but still have quite a few questions, as my daughters BG seems to be unmanageable even on the pump. She has low blood sugars and she is unable to recognize the lows before they hit the 40's. I'm going to read the forums to see if anyone else has this problem. Hopefully I will find out a lot of information or at least talk to some parents with the same problems we are having. Sue P.:confused::)

2. misscaitp

misscaitp Approved members

Hey Mom!:D I am the daughter she is talking about...don't be afraid to post I'm sure someone will have the answer.:cwds:

3. Colleen

Colleen Approved members

My son has hypoglycemia unawareness. The md had talked about letting him run higher for a while so he would then be able to recognize when the sugars drop. This is something you could ask your endo about. How about the CGMS so you could see the numbers?
    Welcome to CWD and hope to see you both around.

4. SueP

SueP Approved members

Looking for Help for Hypoglycemia Unawareness

Caitlin's CDE has already put her on a lower dose of insulin in hopes that she recognizes her lows. She changed her rates over two months ago and it hasn't worked thus far. I am requesting the sensor for her although she prefer not have it. She is unable to get her driving permit because of her hypoglycemia unawareness. The majority of her lows happen at school. The health room nurses love her, but boy does she give them a hard way to go.;) She's my baby girl and I love her to death. I don't want her going unconscious in the classroom or anywhere else. She's picky about what she will and will not eat to get her BG up. Right now we are trying anything.

5. Colleen

Colleen Approved members

Are the lows at the same time each day? Is there any pattern to what she is eating prior to going low? I know how hard it is. One day we are 400+ at school and the next day with the same site and no insulin adjustments he is 60's. I hope the cgms works for her. Maybe after wearing it a while you will figure it out and then she can wear it intermittently.

6. Hollyb

Hollyb Approved members

Hi I just wanted to say welcome. Adolescence seems to throw a real screw in the works in terms of BGs -- sends them up, down and around the bend at times.

It's really nice to see you both here! My son does a really good job with his diabetes, but I don't think he would be caught dead hanging out on the same forum as me ...

7. tracy true

tracy true Approved members

H i welcome to CWD & the forums .

8. SueP

SueP Approved members

I had to laugh when I read your post. My daughter really wanted me on the forum. The only problem is NOTHING I say is private. She reads everything. She set me up.:) Gotta love her!:D

Last edited: Dec 7, 2008
  9. SueP

SueP Approved members

Colleen

Her lows at school happen between 8:00am - 10:00am, 3-4 times a week. She eats breakfast between 6:15am - 6:40am, usually 45-60 carbs (45 is her target). She hates eating breakfast...I have to force her to eat. Her BG when she wakes up is between 115 - 130. She never goes low when she is at home on the weekends or during the holidays...just at school. I am quite the pain in the rear when she is home, always making sure she is eating and checking on her BGs. I'm praying we now have enough documentation for the cgms. We are military and it is not covered by our insurance. Hopefully her CDE will put in for it now.

10. SueP

SueP Approved members

Tracy True

Thanks Tracy!

11. tiffanie1717

tiffanie1717 Approved members

Hey Sue! Welcome. First I want to say that I think it's great you are supporting your daughter by joining! Especially since you're not very comfortable with forums. Hopefully you will soon grow to love us and feel more at home.

Your daughter seems so great!! :) Sorry she set you up! :) haha

12. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

Be carefull Sue, this place is ADDICTIVE!!!:rolleyes::D

Welcome

If I were your daughter, I'd drop my doses drastically and run in the high 100's low 200's for a couple weeks, then slowly use lower targets again, starting higher of course, like 150. This usually helps to make most aware of lows again.
    Tight management makes unawareness so bad! I strive for tight but realistic management. I also don't drive anymore, just feel the world is safer without a low diabetic on the road, I do have my lisense, my first husband insisted I had it. I have driven over the years, but not without testing at least hourly if not more frequently. Very easy to pull over, even on a highway.

13. SueP

SueP Approved members

This is what I received today from Cait's CDE. We'll try this for a week.
    Have her change her carb coverage from 1:8 to 1:10 Correction 1:45 Basal settings
    24 1.0
    12 0.8
    17 1.0
    Have her also make sure her target in pump is 120-150.
    I pray that this works.
    I also hear you about tight management. I've let up on her before, but then she stops doing what she is supposed to do in regards to sending her flowsheets to her CDE, eating loads of candy, sneaking food. I'm not sure what I'm really supposed to do as a parent. Do I back off or do I watch what she is doing? Is there a happy medium? I have two girls and I want to keep it that way. I guess if my girls weren't my life I would probably ease up off of them. Caitlin always tells me, "Ma, you can't go to college with me...I'll be okay." Why can't I?

14. kierbabi09

kierbabi09 Approved members

Hi Cait's mom. Welcome to CWD:)

15. SueP

SueP Approved members

Hi Kiersten's mom. Thanks for the welcome. I've been looking for other teen moms. Cait said that there were some out there, but the majority were younger kids. I'm glad to hear from you.:) There is a lot of information and everyone is so welcoming and very nice. I am so glad that I joined the forum. I only wished that I had joined sooner.:cwds:

16. BozziesMom

BozziesMom Approved members

Welcome Sue! I do have older kids, but the one with D happens to be little. :) He's two. The others are 12, 18, and 24.

Great you joined to support your daughter. We do lots to support our kids I think that may be uncomfortable. I'm a huge introvert myself, though you won't know it the way I drone on in type. :rolleyes:

17. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

She's 15, still a child, it's up to you to do your best, but unfortunately, you can't do it all. You do have to watch and check up on her, candy in MODERATION, with insulin once in AWHILE!! is ok
    Consequences at that age IMHO are a must!

Good luck.

18. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

Oh, you're gonna be fun! :p Glad you got bullied into signing on!:D

19. SueP

SueP Approved members

Consequences - perhaps you can help me with them.

But first let me tell you a little bit about my daughter. She is a home body and very independent.
    She is in the 10th grade and is in the IB Program. She is an honor roll student and has been since middle school. She has a 4.25 gpa. She loves the computer, when I take her power cord she watches tv. When I unplug the tv, she reads. When you take away her reading books, she does extra homework. Take away her radio, she goes to sleep. When I made her pooper scoop, she got mad at me when I told her to come in that the yard was done her comment to me was, "I'm not finished yet, don't give me a job to do and expect me to do it half way."

Cait can be a real stinker when she wants to be. It's hard to come up with consequences for a child that is so independent. She doesn't need much to entertain her since she doesn't like to be around people. She pretty much stays to herself. She loves her friends on CWD and has a couple of really good friends from school that she goes out with *on her terms only*. But her friends understand her and they are okay with that. I'm pretty much the same way. ;)

20. SueP

SueP Approved members

I'll have to tell you how she did it. One morning, last week, I had gone into the refrig (we have two - one in the garage and one inside the house) in the garage where we keep her insulin. I noticed that she was down to a box. I asked when she came downstairs to let me know when she gets down to 2 boxes to let me know so that I can call in a refill. My sweet baby girl must have been PMSing. She went off for no reason and she NEVER, EVER, EVER does this. I thought the devil itself was talking, because my child had lost her mind. In the mix of everything she said and it was all about her diabetes, she wanted me to join the forum. She also said that she wanted me to leave her alone about her diabetes and in the same breath she said that she wanted me to be more involved with her diabetes. Her sister thought she was crazy...I thought she was crazy. I was furious because I am so involved it's ridiculous. Anyway, they left for school, 2 minutes later Cait comes back in - she forgot something. She acts like nothing happened. "Mom, have you seen my agenda book? I love you." Later, when she came home from school I sat her down for a talk...she remembers nothing of the conversation. Her sister and I had to tell her what she said. Do you believe that or...:D She wanted me to join the forum...she could have come across in a completely different manner. I'll knock her out if she ever comes across that way again...that was not my baby girl.;)