- advertisement -

New to CWD! Wanted to say Hi....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mischloss, Dec 6, 2005.

1. mischloss

mischloss Approved members

:) Hi this is a wonderful site. Already have found so much information here. My son is 10 and was diagnosed with T1, Sept. 6, 05. :( A sad day for us all, but I am thankful that he had no complications and is now adjusting to taking his multiple shots a day. He is still "honeymooning" with some remainder beta cells and hopefully that will continue for a while so that he doesn't have to use as much insulin and his carb/ratio is 1/50 for breakfact 1/40 lunch and dinner and 1/50 for bedtime. That gives us a lot of wiggle room for eating without needing to take an insulin shot for every meal right now. I am a working Mom so haven't had time to find local support groups to attend. Am trying to get involved with JD events around town. My son loved the JD Halloween Carnival (loved getting Free Glucose Monitors and lancing devices to try!)... : )

Thanks for listening and hope we can chat about our lovely children real soon.

2. Melanie

Melanie Approved members

Welcome mischloss, This is a great site and you will meet a lot of great people! My daughter has had D for a little over a year! she is 3 now and I know how devistating it is when you first find out! The honeymoon period is frustrating at first but gets much better after everything gets figured out. Sounds like you are doing a great job and I hope everything works out for your family!:cwds:

3. mischloss

Thanks Melanie! I have seen your posts already around the boards and have been answering and replying to a number of other posts too. I am working on getting my son on Insuflon and was having such a hard time with the insurance company and our prescription insurance but finally got in ironed out. Looks like it will be mailed out in a couple of days. When we attach it to my son and start using it, I will post some of our experiences and results with this catheter patch device so that other parents can get a perspective on it's success for D control. : )

4. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

When one uses the insuflon, do you only put the short acting insulin through it and still inject the long acting separately?

How much insulin does it take to fill the cannula?

5. Red (aus)

Red (aus) Approved members

Hi Ellen, mostly it depends on the type of long acting. If they're using a cloudy long acting that they'd normally mix with short acting it's no bother to inject them together into the insuflon. If someone is using Lantus, (and I guess Levemir although I haven't looked at this) it should be injected into a separate part of the body as it's preferrable that Lantus isn't mixed with anything else.
    The insuflon would still be beneficial for this. Taylor is on 7 shots a day atm, with one being lantus, so if she had the insuflon in for 3 day, she could have 18 shots through that and 3 separate for the lantus, still sounds like a good deal.
    The cannula for insuflon I'm not sure of the amount it holds. It wouldn't be much, but enough that could cause problems for some.

6. mischloss

Great to see Red that someone has experience with using Insuflon. I am in the process of having to sent to me. Of course had to jump through hoops with insurance and all but I think it is squared away. My son also using Lantus and Humalog. The nurses seem to think that it is okay to inject the lantus into the Insuflon tubing as long as there is a sufficient lag between the earlier Humalog shot. I am still at odds in my mind about this and will make sure to discuss it with them in person. When I receive the Insuflon, we are going to make an appt. to go get it inserted by the nurses since I have no experience with catheter insertion as of yet and want to make sure that I know the gentlest and best way to do this and also with regard to placement on the tummy and "angle" of injection. Just a worried mom I guess. My son right now only needs about 1 or 2 Humalog shots a day and one Lantus at night. We would at the most be saving 3 shots a day. I guess it is still worth the try! Can the Insuflon stay in for more than 3 days? I read 3-5 days but am uncertain. Also, can you give me any advice regarding bathing? My son takes nightly "soak baths" sitting in the tub for about 20 minutes while I read to him. : ) Can the Insuflon stay immersed in warm water for that long? Thanks!