- advertisement -

New to CWD - not sure where to post!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by SPS, May 3, 2011.

1. SPS

SPS Approved members

Not sure where I should be posting this - I am ok with the diabetes but give me a computer and it all goes to pot! lol :confused:

Hi my name is Robyn, we are in the UK, mum to Georgia age 10, dx at 2 1/2. We also have 4 other daughters the eldest is 21 and about to give us our first grandchild.

Georgia has been on a spirit pump for 4 years, we recently had problems with the down button so they upgraded us to a Combo but no handset

She has trouble recognising hypos and we tend to catch them by the way she is looking/acting ~ and testing more often. She also gets headaches when her blood sugars go above 10. We would feel happier if she had a CGM and have asked the Doctor to apply for one, although he informs us that the chance is very slim, we feel this would give her a better quality of life on a day to day basis.

This forum is excellent and well done to everyone for sharing, I have learned new things already.

Latest A1c 7.5

2. fredntan2

fredntan2 Approved members

welcome!! let the posting begin

3. selketine

selketine Approved members

Welcome to CWD! Post anywhere you like!:cwds:

4. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Welcome to CWD, Robyn. :cwds: I'm in the UK as well, and pumping and CGMSing. Well, the NHS pay for me to use 10 CGMS sensors every 6 months, so the CGMS is very part time (but a lot better than nothing). It's somewhat of a rarity I think.. I managed to get some sensors prescribed because I'm not aware of hypos and went below 0.6 a couple of times (and similar bad lows). I wish I could use the newest sensors and I wish I could go full time.. but I'm waiting until I win the lottery. ;)

CWD is great; I hope you like it here. By the way, the numbers posted by US people are in mg/dl and our numbers are in mmol/l. To convert from mg/dl to mmol/l you have to divide by 18 (10mmol/l is 180mg/dl).

5. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

Welcome to CWD! LOVE the accent (ha, ha!!::p;;))!

Good luck with the cgm. What do you have to do to qualify for one there? My son does not have one yet, but I know we will do it eventually. His endo seems to think it will not be a problem--and our insurance is really pretty good...excellent, really--we do not pay any co-pays for any of his pump supplies; and paid $0 for the pump itself. The only things we pay for are numbing cream, alcohol wipes, and glucose tablets. And eating pizza--he ALWAYS "pays" when he eats pizza!;)

Anyway--look forward to your future posts!

6. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I'm not the OP, but I can answer your question about qualification. There are no fixed criteria, but I've never heard of anyone being covered for full time monitoring and I'm the only person I know (internet or real life) who qualifies for part time. The fact that I'm the youngest person in my area on the pump probably tells you something..

7. SPS

SPS Approved members

Thanks for your lovely welcome!

Emma - 10 every 6 mths??? Does seem rather mean! I presume they expect you to self-fund for the rest of the time. Love to know your views on how well they work.

At our hospital there are two children on CGMS but they are only part-funded too. They had a battle to get them. I do know one nine year old who gets full funding but she has coeliac to contend with as well :(

DsMom - Glad you noticed the accent - all those elocution lessons must have paid orff ;) We only have to pay for cotton wool on the good old NHS. Oh and Pizzas....for quite a few hours afterwards!

I think the only criteria for CGMS is the hypo unawareness. With funding cuts etc....chances are very slim. Fingers crossed xx

8. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Yep, it's a little mean, but I took the view that it was better than nothing. (That doesn't mean that I don't get annoyed that I can't have more, but you know.) I've got my fingers crossed for you as well. Btw, CGMS is good for pizza. Being able to track the spike means I can put on a mega temp basal until it's done. As to how they work, I find they work really well. I'm on the Medtronic CGMS (it sends the readings so they display on the pump screen), and I've found it to be accurate for trends and catching lows and highs before they get so bad.