- advertisement -

New to cgms

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Charlene, Mar 21, 2011.

1. Charlene

Charlene Approved members

Sam has had his sensor since Thurs. It was right on up until yesterday. Today it is all over the place. Im not sure if Im doing something wrong and is there a way to fix it? THank you!

2. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

WHich CGM???

3. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Yes, we need to know whether it's a Dexcom or a Medtronic sensor.

If it's the MM, there are two possibilities: (1) the tape has come a bit loose and the sensor is "pistoning" in and out, causing the fluctuations; (2) the sensor is simply dying and needs to be replaced.

4. Charlene

MM sensor. Really its only 4 days old. Is it possible I cal. wrong or I didnt restart it right?

5. hawkeyegirl

Doubtful. You can always restart it again to see if you had some bad calibrations, but usually when it's up and down all over the place, it's one of the two reasons I listed above.

6. Charlene

Ok thank you! Things have been crazy here so I was worried it was me. I will change it when he gets home!

7. Charlene

Ok so I did my first solo insertion. He has very little fat so it was not easy! I tried to do his belly so that the sensor might work longer and it is bleeding a lot. Is this normal?

8. hawkeyegirl

We've never done a sensor on the tummy (we use upper bottom exclusively), but we do have some bleeders occasionally. They've all gone on to work fine. :)

9. Charlene

Thank you! I went ahead and took it out. He was really freaked out about it. It wasnt worth all the tears. I think we will be using the upper bottom from here on out though.

10. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

Welcome to using the CGM! Please read the CGMS Calibration link in my signature below. Also to prevent bleeding with the MM CGM, tilt the inserter a little more straight up than 45 degrees.

11. Charlene

Thank you so so much. This is info they should give you when you start. I really think the reciever is messing up on ours. We keep getting lost sensor then instead of the 15 min for lost sensor it goes to the 2 hour restart. I am soooo frustrated. Im calling tonight. I have waited long enough to get this and I want it to work darn it!

12. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

Receivers are rarely/never the problem. MM has poor consistency with transmitters. If you are getting a lot of restarts, request a new transmitter. They will tell you that the sensor is bad and to replace it. Don't replace it (the sensors are rarely/never the problem). Persist and after a while they will agree to send you a new transmitter. We've gone through a total of 6 transmitters in the past 4 years to get 2 that work reliably without the restarts, and the 2 we now have work flawlessly.

One thing you can do to avoid restarts with a good transmitter is to insert the sensor, then wait at least 4 hours before attaching the transmitter. This means inserting the new transmitter at least 6 hours (taking into account cal time). If you try that and still have the problem, especially after day 1, you have a bad transmitter and the only solution is to replace it.

13. Charlene

Thank you so much! I will try that!