- advertisement -

new to CGMS....need some help

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by sweetkid4, Jun 4, 2010.

1. sweetkid4

sweetkid4 Approved members

I am currently on hold w/ MM ( 45 min wait :eek:)........thought I might get a faster answer on here!

We started the sensor a little over 24hrs ago. Today about 2pm I get a weak signal alarm, so I moved to pump closer to the sensor. Checked a few min. later and it was reading no data....it read no data for 2hrs and never alerted me of a lost sensor. I went to "find lost sensor" and nothing ever happened. So I went to " reconnect old sensor" and that worked like a charm. So, here we are once again w/ the same thing happening......am I doing something wrong? Is this common? Any suggestions?:confused:

2. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

It doesn't sound like you are doing anything wrong.. Its hard to tell whats going on without actually seeing it.. Michelle just started using the MM cgms and was having random restarts happening to her.. when it was reading no data, did you notice when the next calibration time was? I'm wondering if it restarted itself, making you wait the 2 hours.. if thats the case, its either A) not taped down well enough (if the transmitter and sensor are moving and causing a loss of communication between the two you will get restarts.. the two hour warm up starts when the green light blinks at connection.). OR B) you are having similar issues as Michelle (Frizzy) had..

3. sweetkid4

sweetkid4 Approved members

Just talked to MM .....they asked if this started happening when he was nest to a cell phone in use, or computer,etc. I know for sure one time he was. She said sometimes other electronic devices can cause the signals to be blocked. She was VERY helpful and she got me started again.....lets see how I do!!:cwds:

Kim, thank you so much for response and the helpful tips!

4. Flutterby

Wow, I've never heard of that.. glad she's got you going again though!:)

5. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Eh, I think the helpline fed you a hefty helping of BS. What you had is a "spontaneous restart." My best theory is that it happens when the transmitter comes very briefly unattached from the sensor and reattaches almost immediately. I won't go into why I think that's what happens, but I'm pretty sure of it.

Be sure that you have taped well right over the place where the sensor and transmitter meet. If it happens frequently, MAKE THEM REPLACE YOUR TRANSMITTER. We had one transmitter replaced for spontaneous restarts (we were getting multiple ones on EVERY sensor) and the problem immediately resolved.

Good luck! Hope you like the CGM as much as we do! :)

6. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

I agree with Karla, that happens to us every now and then but with some transmitter's we've tried (and returned) it happens often. Minimed transmitters are inconsistent - we test-drove 3 recently before accepting the 4th one they sent us. Once you get a good one, though, it tends to work reliably for around 15 months.

If you get no signal for more than 10 min. with the receiver close to the transmitter, do a "Find Lost Sensor". If that does not produce a signal in 10 min, try "New Sensor". If that does not produce a signal in 10 min, detach the transmitter, plug it into the charger for 10 seconds, then replace it and look for the blinking green light. Once you see that, tape it back down and you'll be all set, just will have to go through the 2 hour warmup period before the first cal.

7. Flutterby

We were told not to do this type of thing as it 'confuses' the transmitter on whether its on the changer or sensor.. This was when we first started with the cgms, 2.5 years ago, and info changes.. but I always, as they suggested, give a few minutes between taking it off the charger and putting it on the sensor (I pull it off the changer as I being doing the insertion process..)..But again, this was a few years ago and info changes.