- advertisement -

New to CGM Help!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by skyleysmom, Mar 27, 2014.

1. skyleysmom

skyleysmom Approved members

After nearly 4 years of pumping we decided to switch Riley to the MiniMed 530G with the CGM and she started on Tuesday evening. I still (and always have) test her blood during the night and have caught some lows in the 40's that she has been sleeping through and am terrified about her going off to college in a year and a half, so I figured it was time for a CGMS. The first night her BS during the night was in the 200's and her sensor said 85 so I corrected and turned the sensor off so it wouldn't alarm and wake her up. Yesterday at school, the sensor said she was in the 50's but she was really in the 80's and later when she was in the 80's it said she was in the 50's. She has calibrated several times. Last night when I tested her, I was happy to see that the sensor said 111 and her meter said 125. But this morning, her BS was was 183 and the sensor said 225 with two arrows going up. Riley, being 16, is getting very frustrated and "hates it". Are we doing something wrong? Or is there some learning curve that we need to figure out? Any advice would be so appreciated! We are getting frustrated and discouraged. This feels like so much work to Riley, who is dealing with SAT's, AP's and college tours. She is feeling overwhelmed. I do want her to pay more attention to her sugars, which the sensor is forcing her to do, but the mixed messages are driving us all crazy!

2. skyleysmom

Wow, I'm surprised that there have been no replies to this. Has no one else experienced problems with this? If the answer is "no" please say so. I am worried.

3. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

I think there are very very few people here using the 530g. Most CGM people here have switched from minimed to the dexcom so that is probably why you are not getting many replies.

You seem to have several issues I will try to address. I used the old medtronic sensors for 7 years and then the enlites for about a week. I switched to dexcom though so I am no longer using the medtronic sensors.

1. False lows at night. Almost always caused by pressure on the sensor/transmitter. If she sleeps on her stomach the sensor needs to be on her back/bum. If she sleeps on her back the sensor needs to be on her stomach. The arms are also an option depending on how she sleeps. If you post the graph I can tell you for sure that the issue is pressure but based on everything you have said that is my best guess for your problem at night.

2. Calibration. This needs to happen when her blood sugar is as stable as possible. Ideally totally flat in the range of 80-120 but I know that is often not possible. You get the best calibration in if she is stable for 30 minutes before and 30 after (but an absolute minimum of 15 min before/after). It is better to lose readings for a bit than to do a bad calibration.

3. It may make sense to turn the alarms off for the next few days. Honestly, it takes awhile to figure out calibration and the best sites and your daughter is just going to get really frustrated if it is alarming all the time.

4. Keep in mind whatever return window you have. There are some people who just can't get medtronic sensors to work and you do have another option. I hope you can get it to work though.

Good luck!

4. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

I did read your post, but my daughter uses a Dexcom and I don't know much about the Medtronic system.

5. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

6. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

I hadn't replied because we used Sof-Sensors when we used the Medtronic CGM rather than Enlites. I can tell you from our experience, though, that unlike Dexcom, Medtronic's CGM has a definite learning curve of when to calibrate, when not to, etc. Even with the Sof-sensors, though, we were able to have it read within 15 points most of the time. We switched because of the quiet alarms and the pain of insertion. My daughter likes having the CGM, but she has zero interest in returning to Medtronic's after experiencing the difference, though. She says Dexcom is "more polite", doesn't quit reading when needing a calibration, doesn't lose signal, can be heard, ..... She says her ideal would be to have it integrated with her pump but also a separate unit for parental types.

Darryl has lots of helpful posts on using the Medtronic; if you do a search, you'll probably find them.

7. Ali

Ali Approved members

I use the Enlites. Medtronic should have assigned you a personal consultant to work with over the phone. Check on this, I would not use the general helpline. Do not sleep on. Try stomach and arms. Do not place under or near tight wastelands of pants where you get rubbing. Try to tape exactly as they show in the guide book. I get lousy results first 12 hours. Try inserting before bed connecting and then turn off. W.hen you wake up turn on and you will be asked to calibrate right away. It is not as critical to only calibrate when super flat as old sensors were but relatively smooth numbers help. You need to calibrate three to for times. Try upon getting up, before lunch or mid afternoon and bedtime. I usually get in only three but have better results than when I was only doing two calls a day. Stay well hydrated, make sure you are drinking fluids. Set the alarms super wide for the first month till you learn the system. Above the typical spike levels, where you get freaked for lows, do not use the predictive alarms at first. After you start seeing data for the first month you will be able to start fine tuning both your insulin dosing but how you want to use the CGMS to you best advantage. Call and get a personal consultant to help you from Medtronic. Good luck. Ali

8. Mom264

Mom264 Approved members

My daughter has the 530g.
    I do not view the boards everyday, so I'm just seeing your post. I'm sorry you and your daughter are having a rough start on the 530 G.
    The main reason I wanted this system was the threshold suspend. I too am worried about lows at college in the future. The threshold suspend has worked for her as it is supposed to -- shuts off basal for 2 hours when the sensor reads below 60.
    I try to insert the sensor where it wont get compressed by clothing, and also I avoid spots where she seems to favor lying on.I have been known to roll her over in the middle of the night so that she is not compressing the sensor.
    We try to avoid calibrating too close to bolusing.
    Best of luck.

9. skyleysmom

Thank you for your replies! Mom264~ the threshold suspend was a huge motivator for us. I have forwarded this thread to my daughter so she can see what you have all experienced. Thank you, Ali & Meg, for sharing your experience and the link from Darryl. His experience and advice has always helped me and it has been a long time since I have checked in here so I really appreciate the guidance. It is also good to hear from a college student who "gets it". This is so overwhelming. I know it will get easier, but it is so hard to go back to everything being so complicated again, I really didn't expect it to be so confusing!

10. coeen

coeen Approved members

Hi,
    We have been using the sof sensors for a couple years and now the enlites. It is a learning curve but once you get the hang of it they aren't so bad. We found the side of the upper arm works best for us. We started with his upper behind area and that didn't work for us at all. We turn off most of the alarms too. Otherwise he would be beeping all day. I have it set to go off for lows and only at night to we set his high alarm. We like the integrated part of just having one piece of equipment on him. The Dex sounds awesome but we are sticking with Medtronics for now. Good luck.

11. skyleysmom

Thank you for your reply, coeen. We are still on our first sensor site and it is in her abdomen. She has got it set to vibrate during the day. I am honestly considering contacting Medtronic and telling them that it isn't working for us to see if we can return it and try the Dex. It just seems like most everyone has positive things to say about the Dex and not so much the Medtronic. I really do like the integration and the threshold suspend feature, but if we can't get it to calibrate properly, none of that matters! During the night her sensor said 85 and she was at 112. Even when they are closer during the day, they drift apart at night and she sleeps on her side so there is no compression.

I really appreciate all of the support and words of advice. This transition is quite a challenge!