- advertisement -

New to Animas Pump

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Abuchanan, Sep 18, 2007.

1. Abuchanan

Abuchanan Approved members

Ok so we have been dx since Jan 8 and things never seemed to get stable. So the middle of August Makaelas dr said we really need to get her pumping cause it will make a world of difference. So we have been pumping for alittle over 5 weeks and some days are great and others arent. It seems like her site comes out alot, or gets kinked or something. And now she has these big drops in BG out of no where! Most of the time she maintains a 100-110 BG which is great but then bam its 40! Or we can be doing great and then Bam its 350! Im just wondering if this is normal when first getting started or what! Just wish something would get normal here! I know its not going to be always perfect but these ups and downs are getting more common! And i swear she is developing a god awful attitude with it!

2. Abuchanan

Oh and if anyone can give me some pointers on management on the pump it would be great! I am reading some things on others post that I have not been doing! HHHHEEELLLLPPPPP lol!:D

3. Abby-Dabby-Doo

Abby-Dabby-Doo Approved members

Amanda~
    It takes a little bit longer to get consistent. Hang in there. Granted sometimes a 40 or 350 just happens. Just a couple ideas, if you don't think they're just happening.
    First, are the 40's coming from a site change? That is a common drop for us, up to 4 hours after a site change. We know it's coming now.
    The highs, we are learning that USUALLY they can come from bubbles in the tubing. Not all the time, but it's the first thing I look for. If you fill the reservoir with cold insulin, your chances are greater for getting bubbles. If you get bubbles, those little drops are big insulin amounts in little kids.
    Kinks, Oh how I hate kinks in the cannulas. We had problems after problems with those. We have the MM pump, so we switched to an infusion set that you can't get kinks.
    Hang in there, it sounds like things are going well for the most part.

4. Abuchanan

Oh thanks I didnt know cold insulin would do that, nor have I ever checked for air bubbles....I have been just changing out her site everytime it happens after 2 high BG levels

5. Abby-Dabby-Doo

Abby-Dabby-Doo Approved members

Granted, high blood sugars can happen. I want to be careful and make sure you understand that. Sometimes I just totally misjudge a meal and what it's going to do to my daughter. If it's a high fatty meal, like let's say McDonald's, you're going to see higher numbers later, because a lot of fat is going to raise your blood sugar later. Or illness. Now YDMV, but my daughters numbers start creeping up when she's getting ill.
    Start checking her tubing a little more often. While she's in the shower, while watching TV, or at a meal. Hold it up to the light and see if you see any bubbles or air in the tube line. If that happens, prime them out while she's disconnected.
    I hope this helps. Keep reading the other posts, LOTS to learn out there.

6. selketine

selketine Approved members

A Salter Nutritional Scale can help with accurately figuring out carb counts as this scale has codes for 100's of foods. You plop some grapes on the scale (for example), put in the code, and press the carb button and it tells you how many carbs you've got. That helps with home use.

William seems to need more insulin for high fat items (like ice cream) - more than just the carb count would indicate. I have to bolus him for cheese too even though it might say 0 or 1 carb which is generally a free food. If it is fatty cheese it will raise his bgl. Perhaps not everyone has that issue with cheese....and I couldn't begin to tell you how to bolus for fat.

I guess the thing to keep in mind is to rule out as much as you can (accurate carb counts when possible, bubbles, etc.) and keep a log book of what is being eaten can help too. It could be certain foods, etc. Or perhaps that butterfly flapping its wings in Africa....:p

7. mischloss

mischloss Approved members

She could still be honeymooning since it has been only since January. The insulin will flip, flop around for a few more months before settling down. I would advice to keep bg checks to every two hours during the day and then at least once or twice at night, to get a good feel for foods, amounts of foods and ratio for insulin to food. See if there is a pattern developing. Good luck, things will settle down and you will begin to love the convenience of the pump.

8. Nate'sMom

Nate'sMom Approved members

Hi, hang in there, my son's been diagnosed 2 years now and still honeymooning, been pumping for 16 months now and just when we think we've got all the numbers right it seems like it jump starts his pancrease or something and he'll start having lows for no reason. Once you're really comfortable with the pump it will be easier. Nate's Dr did tell us also that we should change his site every 2 days instead of 3 because they've found that after 2 days the tubing starts to absorb a little of the insulin so the kids are not getting the exact amount you're bolusing for. If she tends to run high on that 3rd day that might be the issue there. Also, we had alot of trouble with the insets we got from Animas and wound up switching to the Cleo 90. They are so much easier to put in and the tip doesn't seem to kink as much (although lately we've had trouble with the adhesive coming off, but he's been running and sweating alot at school) If you go to the Deltec Cozmore website there is a place you can click and request a sample box of the Cleo to try. Pretty soon you'll start to really feel comfortable with the pump and things will be a little smoother.

9. Hollyb

Hollyb Approved members

Hi,

Remember that as Makaela's honeymoon wanes you will see bigger spikes and drops. I went through a lot of panicky times at first thinking Aaron's infusion set wasn't working right before I realized that at this point post-diagnosis, sometimes he was just going to go high for reasons that had nothing to do with the pump (miscounted carbs on a BIG meal, hormones, weather, activity level, alignment of the moon, the pizza he ate the night before....?)

Also, it seems with us that when Aaron's I:C ratio is not right, we'll see consistent highs after meals or lows a few hours after, but when his basal is not quite right, we see higher spikes, both high and low. I don't quite understand why, but I think of it like having a foundation that's not quite solid -- so you're jumping up and down on a springy mattress instead of a floor. It's hard to adjust the basal perfectly without fasting, but we found that sometimes just a really tiny increase or decrease made a significant difference.

Definitely use room temperature insulin. We don't find that there's a huge problem with bubbles with the Animas but do get rid of any you see in the cartridge.

Finally, you mention that some of Makaela's sites are falling off. That was our biggest problem until we started using Skin Tac. Aaron pretty much needs to use it every time or his set will start peeling off.

Hope things are going more smoothly soon!

10. Abuchanan

OK heres an instance that confuses me....Ok so yesterday Makaela dropped to 41 after lunch 50 after dinner.....but then today she started out 401 before breakfast 360 after breakfast...changed her site...gave her a 4 unit bolus...which is what her pump said to give... and she still is 250-300's. This is what confuses me...cause it seems like her carb ratio is wrong for some days but then why does she not come down after breakfast and then still high after lunch today...its still all too confusing.

11. Momof4gr8kids

Momof4gr8kids Approved members

It is really hard to see trends sometimes. How was her morning bg yesterday? Does she normally wake low? One thing I've read and find to be true with my DD is that the higher she is the more insulin it takes to bring her down. Do you still call her numbers in to your doc, or CDE, or are you the one that needs to make the changes?

My take would be either she rebounded from a low this am, and is still pumping out extra glucose to compensate, or she is way insulin resistant in the am, and is just needing a bit extra to get down. Or maybe she is getting sick! Julia will show she is getting sick with her bg before any symptoms show up.

12. Hollyb

Hollyb Approved members

I'd watch the breakfast numbers for awhile, see if they tend to be consistently high. Many diabetics tend to rise before they wake up (dawn phenomenon) or rise after breakfast. For the first, the pump is brilliant because once you figure out when the rise starts (assuming it's at all consistent), you can increase the basal to counteract it.

Aaron, on the other hand, tends to wake up in normal range but needs twice as much insulin to cover his breakfast than at any other meal. Otherwise he's high all morning.

We, too, find, that once the BG rises past a certain point it takes more insulin to bring it down, and takes quite awhile before it starts to budge.

13. momtojess

momtojess Approved members

one thing to look at too..

is not only changing her site.. but maybe the insulin itself?

When Jess is having highs for no apparent reason, we check the site and tubing.. If it all looks good, we do a correction.. If she doesnt start coming down, we change the site.. if she is still high, then we change the insulin too. (this is all in about a 2 hr span.. of course she hasnt come all the way down, but as long as she is on the way down we stop trouble shooting.. also if she doesnt have an almost full insulin, we usually just change the site and insulin all in 1 shot)

I have found on the pump lately, especially this hot summer we had, I had to change the insulin cartridge abit more often. You can also contact animas.. They will have the local trainer call you and she can help you troubleshoot some of the things to look at.

Hope you get things figured out soon.. The pump is so great, once all the quirks are worked out.

Tammy, mom to Jess (almost 6), dxd 9/02, pumping 2/03