- advertisement -

New Study Shows Infant Formula Linked to Childhood Diabetes

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by Alex's Dad, Jun 22, 2011.

1. Alex's Dad

Alex's Dad Approved members

Thought you guys might want to see this "report" about the "study", is kind of vague for me and shady but I thought I will share it with you.

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2011/06/10/new-study-shows-infant-formula-linked-to-childhood-diabetes/

HELSINKI – Choosing the right formula could stave off infant diabetes, according to a new global study distributed Thursday.
    The study showed that if a mother transitions from breastfeeding to "highly hydrolyzed formula," which is broken down for easier digestion, the infant may have a lower risk of developing type 1 diabetes.
    Type 1 diabetes can be fatal unless treated indefinitely with insulin.
    The study, lead by Dr. Mikael Knip of the University of Helsinki, examined infants carrying an HLA genotype, which puts them at risk for developing diabetes later in life.
    The trial, published in the American Journal for Clinical Nutrition, showed promising results in infants who underwent the transition from breastfeeding to the easily digestible hydrolyzed formula. By age five, the signs of diabetes in those children had decreased by 50 percent in comparison to children who moved from breastfeeding directly to foods such as cereals, fruit, or other types of formula.
    "Short-term breastfeeding and early exposure to complex dietary proteins, such as cow milk proteins and cereals, or to fruit, berries, and roots have been implicated as risk factors," for type 1 diabetes, the authors wrote.
    Most available formulas have a base of cow's milk, which can be difficult for infants to digest before their first birthday.
    The study's findings were confirmed in a follow-up analysis when the children were ten years old. The trial is currently occurring in 77 centers in 15 countries worldwide.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/health/2011/...a-linked-to-childhood-diabetes/#ixzz1Q2XLLKys

Last edited: Jun 22, 2011
  2. MamaTuTu

MamaTuTu Approved members

I dont meen for this to be disrespectful but this is stupid and you really shouldnt have posted it.

3. caspi

caspi Approved members

I have tried to search and couldn't find any other information about this other than what you posted. Do you know who funded this study? Where it states this in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition?

These types of "studies" really get under my skin. I breast fed both of my children exclusively.

Can you back up any of these claims???

4. Alex's Dad

I agreed with you that this is stupid, but it concerns me and a lot of parents with CWD, and it was posted on a major news network, that makes it even worse. I don't mean to cause any stir or offend anyone with the link, just sharing what I found. If it is offensive or inappropriate I'm sure Jeff will deleted if he does I will understand.

5. Alex's Dad

I don't know how they came up with this "study" either that's why I said its shady to me, but it was on the Fox News Health website, they don't link the study either or who did it.

6. Alex's Dad

I found more links didn't know about this studies until now.

http://www.jdrftalk.org/2010/11/29/early-results-from-trigr-study-released/

http://trigr.epi.usf.edu/PressRelease_Knip_NEJM2010_PilotDietIntervention.pdf

http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT00570102

http://www.healthfinder.gov/news/newsstory.aspx?docID=645775

http://www.canibaisereis.com/download/diet-in-infancy-later-beta-cell-autoimmunity.pdf

7. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

oh good thing I gave Ian nutramigen for his entire first year.

....oh, wait.

anyway, I think they're simply rehashing the old "cows milk causes diabetes" studies only this time saying that IF you transition from breast milk you should 1) not use cows milk and 2) not use traditional formula.

But all that "non-traditional" formula is expensive, really expensive. Ours was paid under DME actually.

8. MamaTuTu

"studies" like this are insensitive and usually come from a view point with some agenda. Some people only need an idea and can make the outcome how they want depending on who and what they look into. Unfortunately all of us here on this site are here because our children have Diabetes already. I cant speak for others but I know I have questioned myself to the point of tears on what I could have done differently and if I had done something differently maybe my DD wouldn't have to live the rest of her life as a diabetic. When I am being reasonable with myself I realize that this is her life and her diabetes is no fault of mine but Im not always rational... I feel guilty for my DD diabetes and reading some BS about formula doesn't help... Im not "mad" at you for posting this but I just think it is no help to any of us here. I guess thats why you posted it on "off topic" tho.

9. Alex's Dad

I think you are probably right, also they talk about babies with predisposition, and how do you know who has it and who doesn't? :(

10. Alex's Dad

Please don't feel that way, it was not my intention to make you or anybody feel bad, we are in the same boat, me and my wife question ourselves a lot after diagnosis and some days still do, but you know what, it was not our fault, and it was not your fault either it was nothing we did or didn't do.
    I'm deeply sorry this post came across the way it did, looks like I'm out of luck with this forum, that's why I barely post, just lurk.:(

11. MamaTuTu

I also didn't mean to hurt anyone especially you or anyone on this forum my rant is about the study... I didn't see how you wrote that it was "shady" till after I posted. I guess it is just touchy for me. Kinda still waiting for my DD pancrase to magically start working again...

12. AlisonKS

AlisonKS Approved members

cereal, root, berries too? breaking news-everything is linked to type 1 diabetes.

13. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

I formula fed both of my boys from the beginning. Yes, I felt an enormous amount of guilt over this after Steven was diagnosed, it ate at me and made me have alot of self hatred:( There have been numerous studies that have implicated cows milk protein. But this wouldnt explain why there are alot of older people with type 1 like Richard. I dont think they had formula back then. At least not the kind in cans or bottles. My Mother fed us all a homemade formula made up of sweetened condensed milk ( I think) some water and some corn syrup maybe:confused: None of us has type 1 nor any autoimmune diseases. I think if formula has anything to do with it its probably something in the cows milk that is different, the hormones maybe or the bovine growth hormone or pesticide residue. Who knows:confused: Ive talked to so many women now that said they breast fed exclusively, some of them right up until their child was diagnosed.

Alex's Dad. No worries:) No one is upset with you for posting this. Go ahead and do a search, youll find many threads about breastfeeding and d and formula feeding and d. I will resurrect an old thread I posted along time ago to let you all know what causes type 1 d;)

14. valerie k

valerie k Approved members

dont feel bad, its an important article. Heaven forbid formula caused my son his diabetes.... ya know what? OOOHHH WELL! I cant change the past, I did the very best I could, and if it was wrong, let others learn from it. We cant go 20 minutes on TV without some commercial about one drug or another that is now on the hit/**** list. You cant have had a knee or hip replacement, you shouldnt have ever been exposed to aspestas.... we learn. We just live and learn.

I took antidepressants during matts pregnancy. Ok... however, the situation at the time was DIRE, I was unstable, I had two other small kids to care for. Choice I made. I choose to breast feed him, did so for 6 months, had to stop. Went to formula, and great Heavens, switched him to cow at 10ish to 11 months old. My bad, I did what I did with the best of intentions, never meaning ever to harm my child. I cant un-do, but someone CAN not make the same choice if it truely is a mistake that can/may put thier child one step closer to this dreaded disease.

But I will be darned, I am not going to beat myself up over choices I have mad in the past when my intentions where pure of heart, its just not going to happen. I dont think anybody else should either.

I remember when car seats where not available, and I remember the first ones that came out, laughed at bike helmets becouse they looked so dorky. but Im a nerd now who probably would use a pocket protector so I wouldnt get ink on my shirt. :D live and learn.

15. maryellen816

maryellen816 Approved members

No one should feel guilty about anything based on this study. There are millions upon millions of kids who had formula who did not get diabetes so obviously there is no clear relationship.

If there ever is a very clear cause for type 1 and you feed your kid that *thing* anyway, then you can feel guilty when they get it. Right now we don't know and can't go back in time and change anything, anyway.

In my case, my daughter was breast fed exclusively. My non-d son was on formula exclusively. So we have concluded it is a matter of bad luck. And it stinks!

16. caspi

caspi Approved members

I just hope that new people coming onto CWD don't look at the title of this thread and freak out........:(

I am also very interested in knowing who actually funded this "study".....

17. Ali

Ali Approved members

FWIW
    I have T1. I am the only one of six kids. All formula fed. All the same shots, same food, same everything. I am number 5 of the 6.At least one of my siblings has my markers and did not get it. I got it. There is some connection like they suspect is in cancer between a genetic make up of individuals and a trigger from a virus or viruses and food or foods or other enviromental(sp) stuff or all of these things. The scientists are trying to "glean" out what is going on so they can develop a vaccine or lifestyle or genetic change approach to preventing the disease/diseases. :eek::cwds:ali

18. bibrahim

bibrahim Approved members

http://www.breastfeeding.com/reading_room/what_should_know_formula2.html

this is an old article, so clearly outdated, but it states that 2-27% of case of T1D are related to formula use. Well, if those states are true, 63-98% of cases are NOT related to formula feeding. Again, old article but I am putting the other side of the stats out there as the 2% and corresponding 98% as the outlying numbers don't look terribly damning when it comes to formula use and T1D.

I breastfed my D child for 19 months, my non-D child was formula fed. Both kids had vaccines, both kids had the same illnesses and my non-D child probably had more illnesses. Both kids had limited day care. Both kids had vaccines. Both kids lived in a manufactured home (just throwing that out there), both kids were dropped in their head accidentally (throwing that our there too).

Unfortunately, due to my 19 months of breastfeeding with my CWD, I was in the clouds when it came to noticing s/sx of D. It was a total shock to me when she was diagnosed because I never worried about it. I worried more about childhood cancer than I ever worried about D. And, I have an autoimmune disease and my cousin's child developed D three months before my CWD.

I am just thankful, so VERY thankful, that we have insulin to treat our precious children. There is no need to feel guilt about breast vs. bottle, Imm's vs no Imm's, or any other hot topic. It is unfortunate that our kids have D. I HATE that our kids have D.

I could not link the article from the OP, but I found the part posted interesting.

19. Jeff

Jeff Founder, CWD

This is a very well done, massive (77 center, 15 country) study and is very important in helping to identify potential environmental risk factors for developing type 1 in genetically at-risk kids. Funding in the US comes from the National Institutes of Health. The post here is quite appropriate.

Here is the study abstract:

Early feeding and risk of type 1 diabetes: experiences from the Trial to Reduce Insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus in the Genetically at Risk (TRIGR)
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21653795

The link between the gut and type 1 risk is being researched intensively. Here's another very interesting study:

The gut as a regulator of early inflammation in type 1 diabetes
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21681088

As parents of kids with type 1, I'm sure that we all will cherish the day when we see no more parents join our club. Research like this is critically important in achieving that goal.

No one should feel guilty for having made any infant feeding decisions in the past -- there simply was no data. Today, however, families who have kids with type 1 would be well advised to use a highly hyrdoyized formula (should they choose to use forumla) in light of this research.

20. SueM

SueM Banned

Insensitive? What? Since when are studies looking into the causes of type 1 diabetes considered insensitive? I understand that you are fairly new to all this and are carrying some sort of guilt... and that's ok... I get it. Sometimes, you just need to let go of the guilt and move on. :)