- advertisement -

New site, high BG. Is belly a bad choice for a 4 year old?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by scarral, May 21, 2016.

1. scarral

scarral Approved members

My son showed interestcin trying his catheter on the belly beside the belly button yesterday, so we tried it for the first time. I vaguely remember the nurse at the hospital saying that belly was not so goid, but what I remember is that it had to do with something psychological about their bellys, something to do with feeling protected or something like that.

Today we had lunch at 13:30, and I measured his BG at 16:30 as I saw that the sensor showed around 150mg/dl because we were planning to go get an icecream, and I wanted him to be 120 tops. His BG reads 160. So first correction. When we got to the icecream shop about one hour later I measure and he's 230. So I put another correction (always with the bolus wizard to avoid 'stacking' insulin) and increase basal 125%. Half hour later we come home and my husband measures 300. Another correction and increase basal 150%. 50 minutes later 270, another correction this time adding 25% extra insulin thinking about insulin resistance, and keep the basal at 150%. 40 minutes later 230 and I change the catheter to one of his usual sites. Since he hasn't eaten for 6 hours I give him chicken nuggets with 6g of carbohydrates (and the usual amount of insulin to cover that) and pray he doesn't go much higher again... At some point he peed and there were no ketones.

Does this sound to you like the belly is a bad place for him? Or is it one of the many diabetes mysteries we've had in the past? I really liked the idea of the belly being a possible site, but if there's some other reason other than psychology to avoid that I would very much like to know.

Thanks in advance for your comments!

2. scarral

scarral Approved members

By the way, we put the catheter on his belly yesterday afternoon, and during the first 24 hours that followed it seemed to be working perfectly. If there were absortion issues at the site, would we have noticed straight away, or would it be normal to start seeing elevated numbers the day after?

3. scarral

scarral Approved members

Another potentially useful piece of information : just after 17:00 he got scared because his nose started bleedong quite bad. Just after that his sensor curve started rising. Could it have been stress hormones rising his BG?

Now it's 21:15 and his BG is 43... Treating the number...

4. dpr

dpr Approved members

We have never had any problem belly sites but different areas definitely work better than others. We can't use my daughters left arm, 24 hours and the site goes bad. Give it a week and try it again, if you have the same problem you know his belly just doesn't work for him.

5. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

It may have been an ice cream high, with all the added fat and all. And it being harder to count the carbs. (Then the low shows it wasn't a bad site. It's easy to overshoot on things like that.) I have had trouble with stomach sites with kinks so we use only sets with needle, not cannula there. We don't have that problem any other place.

Or a stress high is a possibility too, as you suggested.

But the fact that he did come down makes me think that you shouldn't rule out stomach sites just yet. I'd give it another try or two, just to find out if this was a fluke. It may be that you just have to wait until he's a little older to use stomach.

6. scarral

scarral Approved members

We actually didn't get the icecream because his BG was high. Actually yesterday under normal conditions (no stress...) his BG sarted rising again at around 16:00, so I increased his basal from 15:00. Now it's almost 19:00 and there's no rise, his BG was 55 just after 17:00, so maybe I increased it a little too much... I have the feeling that he's gradually coming out of his honeymoon phase, and that's why sometimes he suddenly seems to need more insulin at particular times of the day. Recently I've been adjusting his basal from 21:00 to 24:00 since his BG was rising at that time.

Yes I'll try again his belly another time, I think it was just an unfortunate coincidence.

7. Mish

Mish Approved members

I would say he was going high because of stress from the nose bleed, and then continued going high because he didn't get his ice cream after already being at the ice cream shop. Emotions like that always play a factor in blood sugars.

And there's nothing magical about a belly site, or any other site. Some people have better luck with some areas, and some sites. There's no magic. Just what works. But they do say keep it away from the belly button area by a few inches.

8. scarral

scarral Approved members

Hi, everybody! Time for a quick update. I increased his basal in the afternoon a couple of days ago, and his numbers in the afternoon look a lot better now. I'll definitely watch his BG closely in the future whenever he's stressed, I still think that might have had something to do with it. Actually it just occurred to me, if he's still in his honeymoon phase, could this stressful event have triggered another immune syatem attack on his beta cells, therefore increasing his insulin needs even further? Could stress in general be one trigger for developing T1D? I've heard of risk factors and environmental factors such as viruses, is stress one of those?