- advertisement -

New school breakfast company ? help with crab counts needed

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by WillowBean, Mar 28, 2009.

1. WillowBean

WillowBean Approved members

My school?s school is starting a new breakfast food company. I need help with some carb counts and I hope someone else have these same food/company. It is from Aramark ? and no they will not provide carb counts because. ?They can not be responsible for that?.

3.2 oz Sausage/cheese Tony?s breakfast pizza
    .88 oz each French toast sticks
    Cinnamon apple slices
    Mini Lender bagel
    2.25 oz cinnamon roll
    8?? flour breakfast burrito with eggs/meat/cheese
    1.2 oz Biscuits and Gravy

Thanks for your help.

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

3. WillowBean

I was not able to find it on their website. (Hopefully, I am just overlooking it)

The director of student of services for my district asked Aramark for the nutritional information in their last contract but Aramark still will not provide it.

4. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

This first link it a story about a college student with Type 1 forcing Aramark to make carb and all nutritional info avaliable

http://www.newswise.com/articles/view/545662/

Then this next is a link to the food kiosk at her school and has some nutritional info

http://www.campusdish.com/en-US/CSS/Alabama#

I'm not 100% sure that this is spot on, but if it's the same company then at least it's a start.;) Good luck!

Adding this in edit
    http://www.thedailyplate.com/nutrition/search.php?q=&b=Aramark&page=1&so=
    It's a pita, have to scroll down and keep hitting next to see the whole long list and I can't make heads or tails of the order in which the food is listed but this might have what you are looking for.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2009
  5. badshoe

badshoe Approved members

It was in the contract?! Holy hot buttons Batman, so not providing it would be a breach of contract?

6. WillowBean

It was not in the contract - they refused to allow it in the contract.

Since we are in a very small area there is no other competition for Aramark so they can do what they want and the school does not have much choice.

7. momandwifeoftype1s

momandwifeoftype1s Approved members

I've just run into the same problem. I talked about it in this thread: http://forums.childrenwithdiabetes.com/showthread.php?t=34886&page=3

Apparently, nobody wants to claim accountability for accurate nutritional data for school hot breakfast/lunches. This is a huge problem because children are not receiving the right amount of insulin if the carb counts are just guestimates. If anyone can find data to correct me on this, let me know...but as far as my ADA Advocate and I can deduct - there is no federal law that says that school foods have to have accurate carb counts. :confused:

8. momandwifeoftype1s

momandwifeoftype1s Approved members

Did you see the disclaimer at the bottom? :(

9. badshoe

badshoe Approved members

That's a Bummer

10. twicker1

twicker1 Approved members

Our district uses Aramark and I know that the food service director sends all the nutritional information to each school nurse every month. I would be glad to get a hold of a copy on Monday and check to see if they are the same serving sizes and then get you a copy if you want. :)

11. WillowBean

While Josh was in preschool last year I had an Executive from our local Aramark sit on one our 504 meeting. The exc. told me that they were not able to provide nutritional info because their food is not always made the same. One time pancakes may be made from mix A - the nest time it could be mix B and the third time it could be the leftovers of both mix A and B combined.

So far I have choose not to fight this battle but it looks like I may have to get readyt o fit.