- advertisement -

New Puppy - Suggestions??

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by jules12, Jun 9, 2011.

1. jules12

jules12 Approved members

In a moment of weakness, I have agreed that we can have a new dog. Our old dog passed away quite a while ago and even though we have missed having a dog, diabetes just seemed to take too much of my time to want to add anything to it. Actually, I am very excited and so are the kids. This will be their first dog as the other one was my baby and way to old for them to enjoy. The puppy is a rescue puppy and cute as can be.

We pick the dog up on Saturday. Any suggestions on potty training? I have worked up a schedule to get the family on board and have a "plan of action." Anything you wished you did differently? We aren't telling my son until we go to get it - he will be so surprised!

Thanks!

2. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

3. kimmcannally

kimmcannally Approved members

I second the crate training. And spend lots of time teaching the puppy to sit, lay down, etc. An obedient dog is a good dog! :) We spent lots of time teaching Buddy to sit - now when he wants something, he sits! LOL

4. manda81

manda81 Approved members

I think the best thing we ever did was spring for the doggy door. Our dog was very good about training, but I have enough to do in the middle of the night, she can see herself out. ;)

Good luck & have fun! I totally miss having a puppy around, they're so fun!

5. 5kids4me

5kids4me Approved members

Crate train, crate train, crate train!

6. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

Crate, and acceptance of the fact that no matter how good your schedule is, Mom will probably end up doing the bulk of the training/walking/feeding.

7. jules12

jules12 Approved members

I accepted that - LOL

My schedule is so that if/when they decide to help - at least they are trying to be consistent with what I am doing. We have a crate from our previous dog so I have that ready to go. Don't think I can stand it to wait until Saturday!!!

8. Lee

Lee Approved members

For my puppies, we didn't crate them, since we were away for so long, but we did isolate them and they picked up on puppy pads pretty quickly. We also made sure to put them out 30 minutes after eating or drinking and we made a big deal out of outside potties! Puppies cannot control their bladders at all until 14 weeks of age, so punishing them for accidents before then is futile.

Once our puppies were 12 weeks old and able to use the stairs, we introduced them to the doggy door. The rest was history. We have only had 1 accident since - and that was when the doggy door was accidentally blocked.

Honestly, potty training was easier then I ever expected. Oh, and I put the pads down on an old piece of linoleum...but my puppies are 8 months old now and in their terrible toddler stage!

9. valerie k

valerie k Approved members

:eek: 8 months is the terrible toddler stage??? my puppy is 16 weeks old now and horrid! He is going to get worse? eyye yyye yyyyyeeeee

10. Lee

Lee Approved members

Yes - I am sorry. I cannot even begin to add up the cost of what they have destroyed.

11. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

I would say read the book Monks of newskete, My mom read it and did every thing the book said and we had the best dog in the world, she is great with kids and really obedient. some of the stuff they do sounds really mean but it works! I'm not sure if it was that book or another one that said if the dog goes in the house take it up to the mess and put its nose very close to "it" and say "SHAME SHAME" over and over in a deep "Mad " voice, we did this with our dog once and she has never gone in the house since. also a dog is never to young to train.

here's the web site for that book http://www.dogsbestfriend.com/

Have fun with your dog!

12. Wendy12571

Wendy12571 Approved members

I was never a big fan of crate training, but know what it worked wonders with my dog Petunia. She actually needed an open wire crate hated the plastic one I first got for her. She is now a 10 lb dog with a crate for a 100 lb dog, but is great. We also have her on the invisible fence by canine fence, best money ever spent. We live on a bad road for dogs.
    Wendy

13. Lee

Lee Approved members

This is the only kind of fence that would contain my Great Pyrenees. Now that we have two standard poodles, it is a life saver.

14. bibrahim

bibrahim Approved members

two things I regret: letting her play with socks...she picks up every sock on the floor and carries is around the house and then there are more things laying on the floor. I also wish we had been better at leash training. We should have gotten a leather leash right away as the retractable leashes weren't strong enough for her as she got bigger.

We did the crate training also. She does very well with it and is happy, happy when we come home. She will go to her kennel when we say to and then at night she sleeps with my DD16 which they both love. She LOVES to go in the car also, most labs seem to.

15. jules12

jules12 Approved members

Thanks for all the replies - we pick her up tomorrow. She is a rescue pet and is maybe a shih-poo - so basically a mutt but she is cute!!! We have had poodles and shih tzu's in the past so either one is fine - both have traits I love.

I have the crate ready and picked up some more supplies last night. I know I will be the main person but I am hoping to incorporate my kids moe now in the training. I am getting so excited that Hubby thinks I will break down and tell my youngest. I will post a pic later tomorrow.

16. valerie k

valerie k Approved members

so far, the leg of the antique end table I have had in the family since I was a child is a gonner :rolleyes:

Just like a baby, he has no interest in the toys I have purchased for him, he wants my toys, the remote, the phone, cords... pest. :D good thing he is a cute little stinker.

17. emm142

emm142 Approved members

We have a 4 month old puppy right now. She's amazing, but watch out for pump tubing is all I can say! It's her favourite thing, in the world, ever. :rolleyes:

We got her over a vacation from school so there was always someone around to take her out to pee every hour. She got treats and attention for going to the bathroom where she is supposed to. At night she's in her crate, and she cries if she wants to go outside, mum always wakes up (she sleeps more lightly than the rest of us) and takes her outside. She never really had many accidents indoors.

During the day when everyone is at work and school, she and our other dog (they get on great, and they're good company for each other) stay in their room, and she has a litter tray in there and she uses that. Mum or I come home at lunch to say hello to her and check they're, although I'm not sure that's really necessary. :p I've not been at school much anyway for the past few weeks so that hasn't been a problem.

18. zoomom456

zoomom456 Approved members

LOL - My dog figured out that if she jumped over the invisible fence and just kept running the shock would stop and she could roam the neighborhood!

The advice we give to clients at the clinic I work at...
    puppies can hold their bladders for their age in months + 1 hour. So a 3 month puppy can hold their bladders a max of 4 hours. If you are aware of this, you can make many methods of housebreaking work.

19. LizinTX

LizinTX Approved members

My next house is going to have a doggy door, and my next "puppy" will be an adult dog already potty trained. :D

I can't wait for pictures on your new puppy!!!

20. vettechmomof2

vettechmomof2 Approved members

I recommend getting your children involved in the Dog 4-H program. THe coursework is wonderful and getting the children to learn how to care for another is great teachings!