- advertisement -

New Pumpers and a quick question

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by karliesmom, Oct 28, 2009.

1. karliesmom

karliesmom Approved members

Hi! Karlie started on her pump as of Monday...woohoo....we are liking it so far. Alot to learn but it is coming along okay.

This may be kind of a dumb question :eek: but I figured the best place to ask was here. I am a bit sleep deprived and don't know where to find the answer in our pump book. We are going to do a site change after her bath. Do I also need to fill a new cartridge at the same time? The cartridge that is in the pump now has 140 units of insulin and that is plenty until the next site change...even after I prime. This is my first time doing this without our CDE there to help me out. A bit nervous...Thanks for being here!

Kim :)

2. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

its a good habit to get into to change out the reseveroir each time you do a site change.... especially in hot or really cold weather as that can effect the insulin in the tubing.. if you don't want to waste the insulin then don't put as much in.. if she's using about 80u in 3 days, put a bit extra, put in 100u.. that way you'll have a bit of extra in case of whatever, but you won't be wasting much if you don't use it :)

3. twicker1

twicker1 Approved members

I am totally not endorsing this as I am not a professional, but I fill up Brandon's cartridge almost all the way, and don't change it until he is down to 10 units or so. I know that we were told in the beginning to change the cartridge every three days, but then I think in the past two months there was some study that was done that said the insulin could last 7 days (or maybe it was 5). I think Ellen posted the study.

No matter how hard I tried, I was either running out before site change, or throwing away too much insulin. Now that I just fill it up, it lasts a good 5-6 days.

4. emm142

emm142 Approved members

When I started on the pump I was told to just fill it all the way and use until it runs out, so that's what I do. Of course, we don't have really hot or really cold weather in the UK ;) so maybe that's why. 180U lasts me about 4-6 days.

5. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

On average, we change the cartridge every 6days, and the site every 3.
    We just make sure we put enough insulin in the cartridge for 6 days.