- advertisement -

New pumper - so frustrated!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by momof2kids, Dec 5, 2011.

1. momof2kids

momof2kids Approved members

My daughter's insulin start was 6 days ago. We are already on our 5th infusion set. The cannula keeps getting bent and I'm so frustrated. All will be fine for awhile - even as long as 36 hrs - and then all the sudden her bg just starts to climb and climb, boluses do no good and we start to see trace ketones. Change set, repeat. The cannulas are visibly bent when we take them out. We've been using inset 30's. Tried a different kind (regular inset) in the middle of the night last night. Seemed great until this afternoon. Another goner. Now we are waiting to get our sample of 2 contact-detach (sure-T) sets.

Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

2. emm142

emm142 Approved members

This exact thing happened to me when I went on the pump (but for several weeks, as I was on vacation and unable to get any new sets). It was horrible and honestly, I was totally ready to give up and go back to shots.

Switching to steel needle sets helped me SO much. I'm having some issues with them just now, but for the first 3.5 years they have been so good.

3. momof2kids

I'm glad to hear that the steel sets were helpful for you. I wish I had one to try right now! Did you ever have any discomfort when wearing them?

4. MamaLibby

MamaLibby Approved members

What kind of pump are you using? i remember how frustrated we were...We started pumping MM 3.5 years ago, and her numbers were all over the place. It took me a while to figure it all out, but after about 6 weeks, I started to LOVE the freedom it provides us. Hang in there.

5. momof2kids

We are using the Animas Ping. I know we are going to love it once we get the sets working correctly. I don't think we've had a single good set yet. :(

6. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

We have a Medtronic, so I'm not familiar with the sets you're mentioning, but I do know that our CDE and pump rep both told me that it would be very important to use the sets that aren't straight in. In Medtronic, it's called the Silhouette; I'm not sure what Animas calls it. They said if we used the others, we'd be dealing with constant kinks as my daughter is thin and muscular.

7. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

We love the Sure-Ts (contact-detach). No, they don't seem to bother DS at all unless he falls straight on them--and then, it is really only a momentary ouch. Good luck with pumping when you get the infusion set sorted out!

8. momof2kids

Yes, we are using the ones that go in at an angle for the same reason. Unfortunately, they are still kinking horribly. I suspect that we will end up with steel sets.

9. Ndiggs

Ndiggs Approved members

We started on the Inset 30's and had the same problems. Olivia is very very very trim, and when we switched to the contact detach it was as if all our problems went away (well that might be a bit rosey, but you get the idea). She is so slight that the insets hit the muscle layer and bent and kinked. In the 8 months or so we have been using the contact detach we have not had a site go bad.

10. Butterfly Betty

Butterfly Betty Approved members

We've only been pumping a few weeks and have a few do the same. We're also using the inset 30's. Where are you doing her sights at the most? We found that her thighs were not going to work, too much muscle. We alternate between her belly and her back.

11. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I have had occasional discomfort with every set I have tried, but no more so with the steel ones. It hurts if I hit it hard on something (I'm clumsy :eek:) but no more than the teflon sets I tried. I hope you will be happy with it.

12. jamierb

jamierb Approved members

My daughter tried the Ping 2 years ago & had the same problem with the insets. After 6 weeks of changing out them out too often & high blood sugars, she was begging to go back to shots - so we did. It was a combination of poor training & wrong site location. We went back on the pump 4 months ago using the inset 30 & she's doing great. We had someone else come out to train us again & the insets can only go on her backside now since there isn't padding anywhere else. If you are struggling, I highly recommend you get someone from the pump company back out to help you. We waited to long to ask for help.

13. momof2kids

Thank you - we are trying to get someone to come and visit with us. Unfortunately, our local person is on maternity leave, so apparently everyone in our area just doesn't get any help. Someone is supposed to get back to us on Monday to let us know if there is anyone who can come meet with us.

Meanwhile, we are officially back on shots indefinitely. We have gone through 2 contact-detach sets in as many days. First day, we had to take her home early from school because her BG got so high. She was fine through the night and we were so hopeful, but the site just quit working. We seem to see this around 12 hrs into using a site each time, regardless of the set type. Corrections, carb boluses - no response. Just higher and higher blood sugar and we have to give her a shot. Animas is sending a new pump, but I know that it will make no difference. I think she just has absorption issues after 12 hrs. We obviously have no interest in 2 site changes per day.

So so so disappointed - I can go so far as to say broken hearted. Just horrible to fight for this for so long, finally get it and get a taste of how much better it would be for her to be on a pump, only to come to the conclusion that it won't work. I hope I'm wrong, but I think that she will not be able to have a pump.

14. jamierb

jamierb Approved members

I'm sorry you have to go through this. I know EXACTLY

15. jamierb

jamierb Approved members

EXACTLY how you feel. Don't give up on the pump though. Wait to see what your trainer says. If you aren't going to try it again now, you will want to at some point down the road. Good luck:)

16. momof2kids

Thank you. We finally got the attention of our nurse when I told her we were going back to MDI. She had been pretty much ignoring our troubles thus far. We are going to go meet with her, our trainer, and hopefully our endo next week. Trying not to get my hopes up too much, but maybe we'll get some help then.

17. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

I hope the steel sets work better for you. Try using something to keep the sites in place. It may be affecting stuff, kwim?

18. Connor's Mom

Connor's Mom Approved members

We have been pumping for 3 months. We have had a horrible time trying to get his basal levels straight. We tried the steel sets and it made no difference. For us, it's insulin resistance. We have to use different basal settings for each area we use. We also cannot use the same area twice in a row. If we are using the left belly, we can't just move it to a different spot on the left side of his belly. I had to make the adjustments myself based on my gut feeling. Our CDE didn't think the area of the site had that much impact on his basal settings. It does and I have a log for each setting. Occasionally we need to tweak each setting but, for the most part it's getting better.

19. Connor's Mom

Connor's Mom Approved members

We have gone through 2 contact-detach sets in as many days. First day, we had to take her home early from school because her BG got so high. She was fine through the night and we were so hopeful, but the site just quit working. We seem to see this around 12 hrs into using a site each time, regardless of the set type. Corrections, carb boluses - no response. Just higher and higher blood sugar and we have to give her a shot. Animas is sending a new pump, but I know that it will make no difference. I think she just has absorption issues after 12 hrs. We obviously have no interest in 2 site changes per day.
    [/QUOTE]

We had this problem too! I posted above that I need to use different basals for each site I use on my son. I also have to adjust those usually by day 2 bumping them up slightly in order to keep things level. It's just what I had to do to make the pump work for him. Once I got it working, I have found that I don't have to bump it as often and we can usually make it to day3.

20. Charliesmom

Charliesmom Approved members

How frustrating! Our endo required us to start with metal sets so we didn't have to deal with cannula issues right away. Hope you get the sample and it works better for you.