- advertisement -

New pumper - ketone question

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by HanksMom, May 16, 2011.

1. HanksMom

HanksMom Approved members

We have been pumping for a week and a half, and I think we are getting very close to getting his doses where they need to be, but I have one question.

We have backed his basal way down from 11p until 6a (.075) because he falls tremendously overnight. For example, even with this basal, he went from 220 to 109 in an hour last night. Daytime basal is set at .2 which seems to be doing the trick during the day, except for the first few hours he is awake.

For the last couple mornings he has woken up pretty much in range, had breakfast, was high at am snack (around 300) but then with a correction has been fine by lunch. No ketones at am snack.

So I was suspecting that maybe he was waking up with ketones from basal being so low overnight and his morning insulin was fixing that rather than his bg. I tested this theory this morning, and sure enough, .5 blood ketones with an in range bg.

We gave a little extra insulin and will talk with the CDE today for her opinion, but do you think we fix this with a higher morning bolus, or tweaking morning basals?

Is it normal to wake up with this?

Thanks!!

2. bibrahim

bibrahim Approved members

I have never tested for ketones at a normal number unless my CWD is ill so I am not sure. We have a bunch of different basal rates but we started out on a flat basal when we went off lantus.

Now we have different ones at 12, 2,6AM, 8pm and 12pm. My DD has higher needs at 6 am and then drops in the evening. I would work with your CDE to keep tweaking the basal rates.

3. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

We we actually see ketones in the morning if basal isn't high enough, off just by a little bit.. we don't necessarly see high numbers but mid to upper 100s... Ketones were higher 1.6 and above...

.5 ketones are considered to be negative (anything under .6) although, I know that when we start heading up to .5/.6 during the day that something is going on, however, in the morning, I wouldn't worry about those. He's so little that I'm sure you are seeing ketones simply because its been so long since he has eaten (all night long).. If his bg is good during the night with you backing off the basal, then I wouldn't worry about it. I'm sure those ketones disappear as soon as he eats. :)

4. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

Molly is consistantly at .6 ketones. It's her "normal".

5. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

Ditto on the .5 ketones. It is nothing to worry about.