- advertisement -

New Pump Time

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by zoohouse3, Oct 9, 2013.

1. zoohouse3

zoohouse3 Approved members

My daughter is 18, and her Ping warranty expires on 10/15. She can't seem to make up her mind if she wants to stay with the Ping, or switch to Minimed. The only things she really doesn't like about the Ping is the 200u cartridge.

If you or your child has the Minimed, what do you like about it that makes you want it over another pump?

2. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

We just switched from the t:slim, but we spent 5 years on MM. In my opinion, the advantages it has are:

1. The 300 unit reservoir.
    2. Fewer steps to bolus than any other pump.
    3. In our experience, the pump itself is built like a tank.

I'd call Medtronic and see if they have a pump she can trial.

3. Mom264

Mom264 Approved members

Agreed on all above. Also like the reverse correction added to boluses for low BG values.

Would add the integrated GCM. We switched from Cozmo to Medtronic in 2007, because I wanted the integrated CGM. (Endo encouraged us to wait because navigator was supposed to integrate with Cozmo "very soon." :D)

Would also add the only thing keeping us with MM is the just approved Low Glucose Suspend (working in conjunction with the integrated cgm.) which we've been waiting years for.

If we did not need this, we would have changed to a different pump long ago.

4. Lizzie's Mom

Lizzie's Mom Approved members

Full disclosure: NO experience with MM.

That said, DD is sucking down nearly a cartridge a day in puberty, so I hear ya on the 200 unit limitation of the Ping.

Our solution, for now, anyway, is to pre-fill five cartridges at a time. They fit nicely in the insulin box that the vial comes in, and it minimizes the inconvenience of more frequent cartridge changes.

Just thought I'd throw that out there since you said she really likes the Ping otherwise.

If she can get a trial from MM, she could get a hands-on feel for which pump she really likes better and if the cartridge size outweighs the other bells and whistles of each pump.

5. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Any reason the t:slim isn't on the short list?

6. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

I just ordered a 530g and can't wait to get it. I never had much luck with the accuracy of the Sof Sensors, but I'm hopeful the Enlites will be better. Regardless, the 522 and 523 have served me well as solid pumps.

7. zoohouse3

The CDE said they have had experienced pumpers that are adults that had issues with the pump not delivering all of the insulin it said it did. She wanted to wait until it wasn't so new before the recommend it for anyone. I was bummed because it looks like a GREAT pump.

8. zoohouse3

We were encouraged if she went with Minimed to NOT get the integrated CGM because they have had patients complain about the insertion hurting too much. We have the G4 and Rachel refuses to wear it.

9. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

The 530G is only sold as an integrated system. You can't purchase the pump without the CGM as you could on the Revel. It may be a deal breaker for us when we next pump shop.

Has she considered the Accu-chek pump? It has a remote like the Ping but better (can do temp basals from the remote) but a large reservoir like the Medtronic.

10. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Everyone here who has it seems to be thrilled with it... I'd be tempted to push back on that advice a bit if the t:slim looks interesting to your DD. A pump that doesn't deliver insulin is a huge deal - an FDA sized deal - you'd think that that would be something we'd have gotten wind of by now.

We have no love for our MM - 2.5 years in and counting the months till we can switch (probably to the t:slim) We had a ping for about a week - disliked the dial-up and the cartridge size.

11. hawkeyegirl

Yeah, I'm a member of the Tandem FB group, and I've read a couple of people who swear that the pump (and its replacements) didn't work for them. Reading their posts, I'd put my money on user error, despite them being "experienced" pump users. ;)

12. zoohouse3

Accu-check pump wasn't even mentioned by the CDE. We were shown the Ping (which she already has), Minimed Revel, and Omnipod (which Rachel said absolutely not).

13. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

You could call Roche and ask to do a trial. I know the CDE at our pump start crossed it off the list because of not having features the others did (like a bolus calculator), but they've released this new one that is interesting. It's definitely one my daughter is keeping an eye on. She loves Accu-chek customer service for strips/lancets.
    https://www.accu-chekinsulinpumps.com/ipus/

The longer we're at this, I'm coming to see how hospitals, etc. are not nearly up-to-date as the DOC. Info here is far superior and often earlier than that of the hospital teams. Their info comes from the sales reps and a short trial (if that), not real life use.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2013
  14. hawkeyegirl

Yep. Our endo has no one in the practice on the Tandem or the G4. I did my own research, contacted the reps, and told the endo, "Here is what we want." With the Tandem, their rep actually sent me a demp pump to play with over the weekend. Their C/S is really, really great. And it's been out a year. If there was some widespread problem, we'd have all heard of it by now. With the G4, I wasn't worried, because I knew we could just go back to the MM CGM if we didn't like it.

15. zoohouse3

Thanks for everyone's input. She ended up choosing the new Medtronic. Now, to get it ordered.

16. Mom264

Mom264 Approved members

Awesome. I hope she is high up on the wait list and can get the unit soon.:)