- advertisement -

New Pump & CGM

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by akgiauque, Sep 17, 2015.

1. akgiauque

akgiauque Approved members

We're elidgible for a new pump. We're using a Medtronic and they want us to upgrade to a 530G + enlite. We're thinking 530G + dex due to the reviews of the elite. These are older than a year so I'm curious if they are still accurate. We're leaning to 530 + dex, we like the Medtronic pump & have had great functioning hardware & service. Thought?

2. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Love Dexcom, but have never used the Medtronic pump or CGM.

My feeling is the Dexcom is working more closely with pump makers and is more universal so to speak. While we love Dexcom we love our Animas PING with a meter/remote and would never give up the remote functionality, my girls simply do not touch their pump during the day and honestly I think that has helped them not feel so attached even though they are. both Animas and the t:slim now are integrated with the G4, yet Dexcom has already come out with the G5 and when you are in a 4 year warranty most likely during that 4 year time you will have to pay for he upgrade if it is available at all OOP.

Right now I think the G4 is the best, we can use non=proprietary tech like CGM in the Cloud/Nightscout, and it has a good life span when using these alternate systems. The G5 I understand has a limited life which is not advantous to me or my pocket book but now one is using it yet so it is all hearsay.

3. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

Last I heard, Medtronic would not sell the 530g without the CGMS, which will impact your ability to get a Dexcom through insurance.

4. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

We are new to MM. My 2nd daughter got hers in March and we got the Revel. LOL, my daughter told them point blank "my friends at camp have the 530G and personally, I think it stinks!" She went on to point out the issues and the rep didn't deny. So, we went with the revel, but chose not to get the CGM part. We got the Dex and our doc wrote a letter stating that due to accuracy issues, we are getting the Dex and not the integrated CGM.

5. Andii

Andii Approved members

Medtronic will sell you the Revel if you don't want to use their CGM. DD had the Revel with CGM for 4 years. But we grew frustrated with the accuracy issues and so many failed sensors. So I convinced her to try the Dexcom as the pump was going out of warranty. She liked the Dexcom, but wanted to stick with Medtronic pump as she was going off to college for the first time and didn't want to have two new devices. She's happy with her choices.

6. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

Dexcom rocks, would not trade it for anything. There is no substitute.

Medtronic pumps are great, solid pumps but I wouldn't lock yourself into that because of familiarity. All the other pumps on the market do a good job. We started with the tslim because I felt it was the most cutting edge pump and loved the touchscreen. Well a year later and we're using the Omnipod which doesn't have a touchscreen or as granular dosing capability and a clunky old controller that looks like it came from the 80s and we couldn't be happier. You have to try them all and see which feels right. They all have pros and cons and they all deliver insulin. Try out the other pumps if you can, maybe you'll fall in love with something different!

There are other threads on here about integrated pumps and the consensus seems to be that because CGM technology develops faster than pumps, by the time any integrated pumps come to market the CGM tech will be obsolete. In fact the next version of Dexcom will go right to your phone and I think most would rather take a phone out of their pocket to check BG than pull out a pump. The only time an integrated pump really makes sense (in my opinion) is closed loop and we're still a ways off from that.

(Yes, I know the threshold suspend for the 530g is more than just the pump displaying BG data and is indeed the first step toward closed loop, but if the sensor is not accurate it's moot.)

7. funnygrl

Hey now, they didn't have colored screens in the 80's on portable electronics. The Omnipod controller definitely looks early 2000's ;). The new one they're working on looks SLEEK. I can't wait for that to be released.

I agree, Minimed pumps are solid. I used them for years and still like them. I had a 522 for ages, upgraded to the 523 through the Pathways program. I used the Sof Sensor CGMS on and off, but it kind of turned me off to the idea of CGMS as a whole. I decided all CGMS wasn't really worth it- too time consuming and no accurate enough. I used my 523 for ages past the warranty expiration, because I had no interest in switching brands and Minimed hadn't come out with anything new yet. When the 530g came out I jumped on that and was super stoked to try their new and improved CGMS. I thought for sure this would be awesome. I didn't think there was anyway a relatively new company like Dexcom was beating an experienced company like Minimed at the CGMS game. The Enlite also left me disappointed and bummed. I gave up on CGMS again.

Then I had a type 1 patient come in to my unit at the hospital for a long stay with a Dexcom. It was amazing. It was right on through his whole stay. Then I wanted one. I told my educator I wanted one, and she was like, "Oh, you're going to love it." She fought with my insurance to get me one.

So that's my convoluted CGMS journey. It is possible to get a Dexcom and a 530g with a few stumbles along the way. Lol. But even after that through another weird journey, I ended up buying an Omnipod, an Asante Snap, and then a Vibe all out of pocket. And now I'm using a Vibe and a (stand alone) Dexcom.

8. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

We have recently gotten a new pump, and decided at the same time to look into cgm. We looked into 530g + enlite and got the same results as you--that most people like dexcom waaaaay better. The one feature that would keep us with Medtronic was the low thresh suspend, which was not useful if we went with dex. So we decided to go with the tslim instead. Personal preference. Medtronic was our second choice.

even though it's integrated, people still choose to go with dexcom for cgm.

I think the only difference between the 530g and the revel is the thresh suspend. They do still sell the revel, for those who don't want that feature or who use a different cgm. And you can use the enlite sensors with the revel, or so I was told. The suspend feature can be turned off with the 530g but I'm not sure if you can get just the pump without the cgm. You'd have to call them (and maybe your insurance) and ask.

I agree with jenm99, it doesn't hurt to look into other pumps to see what you like. You may end up staying with Medtronic, maybe you will like something else better. Our dr. Recently asked us to switch to someone else because we wanted to use dexcom--he was stuck on Medtronic and didn't like any other company. He was pretty closed minded about it. Our new cde said, "we love what you love." They were much more open to let us use what we want. Maybe your dr, is not closed off to other options, but like I said it doesn't hurt to look around.

9. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

Wow, I would not want a doc who was not open to learning new and multiple technologies.

10. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

I agree. I was surprised he didn't want us to use dexcom. He seemed to pretty say, "do what works for you" up until then. Even though the new clinic is further away I'm glad we switched. Wish we had done it much earlier; didn't know what we were missing!

11. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

We use the Medtronic Veo (530g) and the Dexcom (my son used the Revel and the Medtronic SofSensors at first, then we switched to the Dexcom. We considered going with the Vibe this time, but I really do like the Medtronic pump). I'm happy with both. Insurance had no problem with the combination. I don't think the company even realized that we were "doubling up" on CGMs. And now we do have two CGM systems, which gives us options!

12. forHisglory

forHisglory Approved members

Or, unless your child doesn't want to carry two items (pump/receiver or phone) on person and has no problem whipping out his pump to check the CGM. That was our main goal in getting an integrated pump. I think he really likes showing off his pump so doesn't mind getting it out to check. Oddly too, the pump CGM is often more accurate than the Dex G4 share!

13. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I think the relative value of integrated vs not-integrated depends a great deal on the age of the kid. I know that when we tried it with a teen it was an utter failure. She disliked having to dig out her pump and it was much easier for me to "keep and eye" literally, on her trends without pestering her with the separate receiver (and later the share).

MM pumps are solid but we haven't had success with the cgm technology and for us, the accuracy couldn't touch what we have seen with the various generations of the dexcom.

14. funnygrl

I'm not sure how billing works in Ontario, but in the US, items are billed to insurance by CPT code and Medtronic bills the pump and CGMS CPT codes for the integrated system. Getting one would definitely effect eligibility for the other in most cases.