- advertisement -

New Pump arrives Friday - out with Omnipod in with Medtronic...

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by MissMadisonsMom, Mar 11, 2014.

1. MissMadisonsMom

MissMadisonsMom Approved members

I never thought I would be saying anything negative about the Omnipod, but Madison has just HAD it with the new pods (and now the test strip issue - I know not insulet's fault) and Insulet's customer service is absolutely useless on how to resolve anything. Week before last she had 4 failures in 1 day AT SCHOOL! She gets frustrated and embarrassed when that happens. So I casually mentioned that Medtronic has a new pump out with a CGM readout on the pump she said she would think about it. One more pod failure the next day and she said call the doctor. We were at the Dr. the day after that meeting with the Medtronic rep...everything has been approved and she gets her new pump on Friday.

Does anyone have experience switching from Omnipod to Medtronic? Any tips on making the switch? I have a call in to see if we can avoid the pump class and just have them help us set everything up :).

Madison is a Gold level Fastpitch pitcher...any tips on where/how to wear the pump while she is on the field?

I'm shocked that Madison is so anxious/excited to get the new pump. I just hope the tubing won't be a huge adjustment for her.

2. moco89

moco89 Approved members

There is a baseball player in the MLB, I think his name is Jason Johnson, who is a pitcher and uses an insulin pump.

I remember reading somewhere that he put the insulin pump on the backside of his belt (facing his back--not his abdomen), so that it was not distracting to the batters. He had to get permission from the MLB to do so.

3. 22jules

22jules Approved members

Congratulations!! Erin loves her medtronic pump!! Have Madison look at www.pumpwearinc.com for their pump bands. They are very comfortable- Erin ran cross country with her pump on in one! She gets the one that she wears on her waist. You can get them with one pocket or two. They are a little pricey but are really well made!

Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
  4. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I think you'll find the transition very easy. We were long-time MM users who had to figure out how to use the Omnipod in about a half-hour when his MM pump died unexpectedly. They're really not all that different when it comes to menu functions. You might want a little training on how to fill a reservoir and insert a site, but the pump operation itself is not going to be an issues for you.

5. MissMadisonsMom

MissMadisonsMom Approved members

Thank you! I figured the operation wouldn't be too difficult for us (especially since my dh is a genius with anything electronic), but filling, priming etc, will be foreign to us. Luckily Madison has a friend down the road with the Medtronic if we have any quick questions.

6. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

Good for you, that your daughter is willing to go to a different pump with all of those issues. My daughter used Minimed for years, and it was a good solid pump. I feel like people put up with so many issues just to stay tubeless. We are moving from Omnipod to the Tslim very soon. It has been years since she used a tubed pump, but it was never an issue for her before. In fact sleeping will be easier I know, because if the pump is easy to move out of the way. I'm looking forward to less trauma to her skin with regular infusion sets, and not needing to use a bunch of products to keep her skin in halfway decent shape. Try to get samples of different infusion sets to see which work best for her.

7. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

The pump has instructions on the screen for what to do next during a site change so it isn't hard at all. It doesn't let you forget anything important. :). You will have it memorized after one or two site changes.

Pod failure is the biggest thing keeping us away from the pod. Ds doesn't mind the tubing so we are happy with the mm pump.

8. tammy82

tammy82 Approved members

We were thinking of going on the Omni pod but hearing so many negatives we will just stay on the Minimed, not worth the hassles.

Good luck!

9. Hstntxag

Hstntxag Approved members

My son plays baseball and the two options we have found successful are cutting a small slit in the inside pocket and running the pump and tubing through the back pocket or to use the spi- belt and turn it to the small of his back.

Good luck!

10. Don

Don Approved members

One surprise on my medtronic is when filling the reservoir, I can't draw insulin all the way to full 1.8ml mark. I risk pulling the plunger completely out of the rez, so the most I usually get is 170 units even if re-using already primed tubing. (Apparently this false advertising is common. I hear the Tslim's 300u rez is really 280u when all is said and done.)