- advertisement -

New patient treated with Stem Cell Educator

Discussion in 'Research' started by carbz, Dec 20, 2012.

1. carbz

carbz Banned

2. momofT1Dgirl

momofT1Dgirl New Member

I have been following Dr. Zhao's work and am very interested in it. I read through the results of his last trial (and watched his video lecture on vimeo) and I thought they were some of the best results I've seen published in trials. They are also allowing children into the trial in Spain because it seems so safe. Diabetes researchers in Florida are also working with him to verify his findings. I am hoping the efficacy of his stage II trial is even better than the results from phase one which I thought were great, especially since it was testing primarily for safety.

3. Senninha

Senninha Approved members

Is the first time they will be repeating the treatment 3 times in the same patient, hoping in dropping more than 25% the insulin requirements achieved until now in one single treatment per patient.

4. carbz

carbz Banned

From my understanding there was a 25% drop and more in the initial trial so with multiple treatments you would think the results would be superior? At the end of the day true success means insulin independence and no dietary restrictions. Truth be type 2 diabetics though most still produce their own insulin can struggle the same way type 1's do. The only big difference is its not instant death if they skip injections. I wonder if Zhao's treatment realistically has the ability to get people off insulin? Either way the results thus are superior to Faustman's results.

5. Ed2009

Ed2009 Approved members

Rough content of the article in English

The article is at: http://www.tianhecell.com/uploads/NewsArticleSpain.pdf
    ( http://ciencia.elcomercio.es/el-hos...an-pionero-en-europa-para-paliar-la-diabetes/ )

The main highlights of the article are (the ones different than what I've read so far about the treatment):

"...
    The HUCA (University of Asturias Central Hospital) starts a pioneer plan in Europe to palliate diabetes.

The HUCA started to apply a new therapy... designed in the US uses umbilical cord cells to improve insulin production.

The techinque was designed in the US and was tried successfully with 2 patients (in the HUCA).

Differently than what was performed so far by Dr. Zhao, the HUCA will perform 3 therapies per patient, repeated at 3 and 9 months, and we trust to reduce the use of external insulin in more than 25%.

Dr. Zhao: We treated 150 patients throughout the world, results are encouraging but we need to keep working.
    ..."

These are highlights. The rest is -again- a description on the reeducation process, the numbers of people that has diabetes in Asturias (75,000, 8% of it T1), and the consequences of not treating the thing. I think that everyone is familiar by now with these contents.

Now, when the article refers that the 2 patients were treated successfully on December 5 and 10 (or so), I think it means that they survived the procedure :), as it does not mention any insulin-A1c reduction as of yet (which is too soon I think).

Bottom lines (and my conclusions on the article):

- 2 people were treated in December, and will receive 2 more treatments at 3 and 9 months to see if it improves over the original protocol.

- More people to be treated in the HUCA soon.

- 150 people treated so far all over the world.

- Although they say the HUCA will start treating, later somewhere between lines they say is a trial.

A link to the google translation of the article is:

http://translate.google.com/transla...a=X&ei=CIjUUMTtIJHm8gTbtoDICA&ved=0CDsQ7gEwAA

Enjoy!

6. carbz

carbz Banned

Thank you sir Ed for the translation link. I am dreaming of a reversal like this. Today was an all severe low day and I was out of my skull. There is just no way I can ever feel well unless diabetes is gone.

7. adjusting dad

adjusting dad Approved members

Does anyone know anything more?

8. Turtle1605

Turtle1605 Approved members

I am really hopeful these clinical trials are successful (as far as clinical trials go) and I hope this idea explodes into even more scientific discoveries that will take us one step closer! The faster, the better :D!