- advertisement -

New Parents with Type 1 Son

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Threebeans, Jan 3, 2007.

1. Threebeans

Threebeans Approved members

Hello to everyone,

Wow, have the last 17 days changed our life. My son was diagnosed with type 1 on Dec. 19, his 11th. birthday. What a shock for us and the whole family. So much for all the sweet goodies that come with the holidays.

I found this site throught the info our endo gave us and it has been a big help for us. We have learned a ton of info and have been able to see what other families have gone through before us. It has taken the "what now" feeling away and has given us a new look at the day to day life activities. And for this, we thank you all.

Just like every new member, we have a ton of questions and have found several by reading the topics here. But we have not found one on the "Friends for Life" conference held at Disney. Can anyone give us their experiance and thoughts of this conference? We plan on attending this July, and want to take in as much as we can. It's sort of ironic that it is held at Disney, since we where staying at Disney's Pop Century Resort and visiting Epcot when David, our son, started showing the first signs.

Thank you in advance,

David and Clarice Bean

Last edited: Jan 3, 2007
  2. selketine

selketine Approved members

Welcome! Although I'm sorry you had to join us but you found a good place for information.

There is a "sticky" at the top of this particular board (for parents) about the CWD - FFL conference. You might also try doing a search although some might abbreviate it FFL rather than spelling it out (I know I usually do).

You should definitely come to the FFL! I went 2 years ago and it is a great experience. Your son will have his own set of activities - which are fun things - not sitting around at a table in dark room being lectured on diabetes - but lots of activities and sports, etc. My son who is type 1 is just 4 so he is in the daycare group but my son who was 7 at the last conference had a great time (all of your children can participate - diabetic or not).

The conference sessions are great and it is just simply amazing being around that many parents of type 1's and type 1 kids and adults. And the icing on the cake (for me) is that it is at Disneyworld. Being a disney fan I don't even need another excuse to go there but it is a great place to be - CSR is a beautiful hotel and I highly recommend staying with the conference group if you can.

I also recommend the book Sweet Kids for eating issues and how to work those regular things back into your child's meals. It certainly gets easier as time goes on.

3. zimbie45

zimbie45 Approved members

HI
    Sorry to hear about your son's dx, when my daughter was dx, it was 11 days befor her birthday... hang in there, it does seem overwhelming at first..but it does get better, IF you do have any questions please ask.. we have lots of info..

4. allisa

allisa Approved members

Welcome, my son is 9 and in March will have been 4 years for us since dx.....you found this site nice & early...I have learned more here than I have from books and endos,,,,and I only just found my way here in 2006.....

Lucky that you live right in Fl....Disney conference is easy to get to !

5. nantomsuethom

nantomsuethom Approved members

I have not attended the conference yet. I do plan on going this year though. I have several friends that go and say it is wonderful and the kids always have a great time.
    I also want to let you know of our support group. We have several families that meet once a month, and usually have a speaker. Our meetings are the 4th Wednesday of the month at 6:30pm in the Dunedin Library (Pinellas County). It is really nice to sit and chat with people who are going through the same things that you are and know what you are talking about.

6. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

HI and welcome to the board.. kaylee, 3 almost 4, was dx last year, 1 month before her 3rd birthday.. we are coming up on her one year mark soon! You'll be surprised at how much information you know about type 1 by the end of your first year, and it all becomes routine..at first its so overwhelming.. this is a great place to be, so much information and great advice.. there area a lot of people here so there is sure to be someone to answer any type of question:) We've never been to the FFL, I'd love to go but not sure we can make it finacially this year:( maybe next year.. I hear its a wonderful thing to do...
    nice to *meet* you:)

Last edited: Jan 3, 2007
  7. OSUMom

OSUMom Approved members

Hi Threebeans,

Sorry to hear of your son's diagnosis. My son (19 yrs old now) was diagnosed 6 months ago, so we're new to this also.

Our diabetes educator and the whole office has been a great source of information, and we like Diabetes Health magazine plus others we come across. We are researchaholics in this household. :)

Wishing you all the best with dealing with the new diagnosis and keeping everything under control.

Take care of yourself too! :cwds:

8. Boo

Boo Approved members

We have never (yet) been to a conference, but would like to someday.

However, we were in Disney with our 11 year-old D son (and our other kids, of course ;) ) from 12/11-12/16--maybe about the same time as you!

Welcome to the forum!

9. mom23boys

mom23boys Approved members

Welcome threebeans,

Hope you find this site as useful as all of us at one time or another. When the doctors don't have the answers or are not always as available or like me, you don't want to call them too much. This is a great resource place.

My son was dx'd this year age 11 also, I am so thankful he was a bit older, he grasps things better than I sometimes and sometimes two brains are better than one with trying to figure out carbs and dosing.

Terri, wife to Tony 17 yrs
    Christian 12, dx'd 4-3-06
    Gunner 10 and Micah 6