- advertisement -

new mm cgms sensor

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mandapanda1980, Jan 19, 2011.

1. Kunkfam

Kunkfam Approved members

2. selketine

selketine Approved members

The "$3000" sounds like a "maximum out of pocket" expense or something. An insurance that only pays for $3000 worth of coverage a year wouldn't get you a month for 4 people. I'll bet you a nickel this is what he is referring to - which has nothing to do really with your issue:

A "catastrophic cap" is the annual upper limit a family will have to pay for TRICARE Standard-covered services in any fiscal year. The catastrophic cap for families of active duty service members is $1,000. All others have a catastrophic cap of $3,000.

I think Tricare is like ...standard - cause it is military insurance. I got that from the webpage here: http://www.military.com/benefits/tricare/tricare-standard/tricare-standard-overview

I'd poke around that website and call the toll free number - I'm sure you could find out what is covered. Maybe post a general ? about tricare to the main board for those who have it.

3. HERMSman

HERMSman Approved members

We are focused on delivering Comfort Sensor ASAP. So resources are focused on that product. I have done clinical trials in the last two weeks wearing the comfort sensors 7-days. I do not know what the FDA will approve.

4. mandapanda1980

mandapanda1980 Approved members

Thank you ALL for your info. I now understand the 3000 cap. I gave a call to my ex mother in law, who was aalso trying to understand all of this. She now understands as well and informed me that my ex was looking into upgrading to prime. Gave a call to him and he confirmed that he is going to pay the fee and switch from standard to prime, which covvers the cgms 100%!! I'm very excited. It feels like the first step to getting dd on the cgms and I can't wait for the go ahead!

5. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

That is great to hear. Truly, at this point I could not understand the logic in coming out with the 6 day sensor, only to come out with the Comfort Sensor shortly thereafter. I just cannot tell you how much I am looking forward to "half the size and twice as accurate." And even though we're used to restarts on day 3 and 6, with a new sensor on day 7, man oh man, it would be nice to not have to think about it for seven whole days.

Thank you so much for your input.

6. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

same here! i mean, most everyone I know wears them longer than 3 days, so having that extra approval for 7 days..really means not much. I am looking for something smaller and more accurate. :)

7. katerinas

katerinas Approved members

So when is the Comfort Sensor expected to be out in Europe?

8. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I believe HERMSman said this summer.

9. frizzyrazzy

10. Joretta

Joretta Approved members

I would double check by calling tricare directly. I served on the insurance committee at work and with the new laws they cannot limit coverqage starting this year, but I am surethere are loopholes.

11. SarahKelly

SarahKelly Approved members

I can't agree with you more!

12. selketine

selketine Approved members

Ok...well.....HURRY UP! :p I'd really like to see this product.

From the screen shot it reminds me a lot of the Navigator - the inserter and the product - except the transmitter is that shell shape. I've been a loyal Animas customer but that product sure looks interesting.....

13. Adinsmom

Adinsmom Approved members

Ditto. ;)

14. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

We have all been hearing about a new minimed sensor for 3 years now. It was rumored to be coming out in 2008, then Feb. 2009, then June 2010... In my opinion there is no sensor on the way, just artist's drawings and fake prototypes to keep people from switching to competitor's products. Same can be said of the "smaller omnipod" and a host of other products that have promised "smaller, more comfortable, more accurate", etc. year after year.

I would get the currenly available sensor now. Every day you wear it is a day that you'll have better BG control.

15. twolittleladybugs

twolittleladybugs Approved members

I'm wondering what good the 7-day approval would do if my current pump doesn't have upgraded software. Won't it still tell me to restart at 3 days? We're taking a break from MM CGM right now. Emily used it for a year, but it got to be too much of a battle with the insertions and the biggest issue was that we got it for nighttime alarms, but could never hear them. Not to mention lost sensors when she laid on it wrong. We're excited about trying out the Comfort Sensors, but think we'll be waiting until they come out.

Kelly

Emily 8--dx @ 2 1/2, mult. food allergies
    Kaitlyn 4

16. frizzyrazzy

Darryl, I have to say I agree with you. MM (sorry, MM, we do like our pump...but..) has always talked about "whats coming next" as a way to entice and keep customers. This is not bad, in and of itself, but eventually they need to deliver on these products. I swear they got a LOT of pediatric pump users on the thought that the mysentry would be coming "soon" - and when I was first shopping for pumps everyone said "oh they'll have that in a few months"...

I just wish they'd deliver.

17. albasmom

albasmom Approved members

We talked with medtronic today, and were told that the new sensor would be out here (Denmark) in about a month. So middle of february. I hope that they are out the next time we have to order sensors. I am super excited and can't wait for the smaller sensor. :D

18. tom_ethansdad

tom_ethansdad Approved members

I second the sentiment here. Not to discredit HERMSman or anyone else, but if you are considering CGM, Pump or any other technology for that matter, make your decision based on what is available today, not what is rumored to be "just around the corner". And to be fair, HERMSman said get the CGM today.

It's fun to speculate, but these things get delayed or discarded too often to constantly wait for the "new better version that is going to be released soon".

19. HERMSman

HERMSman Approved members

All I can say....it looks very familiar. Yesterday I heard some news about a possible earlier date than summer. As I said we are diligently working on this product.

20. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

I'm a little tardy to the party, but I'm really glad this is working out for you. Just wanted to add though that you should never feel bad for "using up his new family's insurance" even if there was a max. His daughter has as much right to have her needs covered as his wife and other child!!! You don't let your child go hungry so another child can eat. Use what you need and figure out who needs what at the end of the year if there was no insur left to go around--glad that's not the case though, but just don't get in the habit of defering your kid's medical needs because his other child/family might have some needs at some point that might not be covered. It's always a good time to advocate for your kid an any man who would look you in the eye and say, "Well I don't want to spend all the ins on her since I only get 3K for my whole family" needs a mama bear smack down. Your response has to always be, "Well these are the needs of your daughter right now which we can't put off just because there is a possibility of someone else needing coverage down the road." And a firm glare. :mad:

Just my 2 cents--not trying to stir up trouble in your extended family. :eek: