- advertisement -

New member, but long-time diabetic

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by garnett_21, Jul 20, 2010.

1. garnett_21

garnett_21 New Member

Hello everyone! My name is Nathan, and I'm a type 1 diabetic. I was diagnosed when I was 18 months old, back in 1990 - I am now 21, and still going strong :) I've known about these forums for some time, but never signed up (don't ask why, as I don't even know!)...well, I'm here now at least! Looking to find others with diabetes that I can chat with - I'm the only type 1 diabetic in my area that I know of, and I really only know a handful of diabetics in all...it would be nice to just be able to talk to other diabetics about our different difficulties - I'm willing to talk, listen (read), give advice, and take advice. Thanks for having me, and I look forward to chatting with you all!

2. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Hi Nathan Im glad you decided to join us. There are many adults here with type 1 diabetes and of course us parents of CWD. We share information and support and hope that you stick around to share both. There are also a couple of chat rooms, one here and this one where we have a several adults with T1 join us on a regular basis http://type1chat.org/. come join us when you get the chance:)

3. Richard157

Richard157 Approved members

Nathan, I have been type 1 for 64 years and I am very healthy. With good control we can have long, healthy lives. I am going to send you a private message. Look for it in the upper right hand part of the page.

Richard

4. sheila

sheila Approved members

Welcome to the forums, glad you joined.:)

5. zakksmom

zakksmom Approved members

Richard, I just wanted to mention to you what a true inspiration you are and have been since I joined this forum. Please keep on keeping on with your ongoing posts. They really do help.

6. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

Agreed
    :cwds:

7. Heather-Nate's Mom

Heather-Nate's Mom Approved members

Richard,
    Thank you for giving me hope for my 11 year old son. I lost my brother and best friend to complications from poor control of Type 1 and have seen the ugliest side of this disease. He died at 29 years old. My son was diagnosed 10 months ago. We are doing well so far, but the fears I have from watching my brother have so many seizures and trying desperately to get glucose of some form in him while seizing, are hard to get over. I have had a fellow parent of a diabetic tell me that I WILL experience my son having a seizure, that all diabetics do at one time or another and that really scares me. I never want to see that again. I feel if we stay on top of his sugars well enough that we can prevent that from happening. Have you ever had a seizure from being too low? I also already worry about him going off to college. I am afraid that without me there, he might slack off with taking care of himself or drink alcohol, get too low, and pass out. I am trying so hard to teach him the importance of good management, without smothering him so he doesn't hate his disease like my brother did and just accept it as part of his life, knowing that he can still do anything, he just has to take a little extra care than most people.

8. wilf

wilf Approved members

Your "friend" is an ass.

There's no reason to think that your son is going to have a seizure. A small percentage of people with Type 1 diabetes do have seizures, but that percentage is going down steadily as D management techniques improve.