- advertisement -

New Medtronic Sensor

Discussion in 'Continuous Glucose Sensing' started by zuzinka, Dec 12, 2013.

1. zuzinka

zuzinka Approved members

Does anyone have any knowledge if Medronic is planning to release new improved sensors.
    I hear a lot about perfect accuracy as well as the length of wearing Dexcom so was just wondering before trying to switch to it.

2. Mish

Mish Approved members

Medtronic's 'new" sensor is the Enlite (with the Veo / 530g pumps). It's been out for a while (a year or so?) in the rest of the world, but just came to market in the US last month.

I wouldn't expect anything new from them for many more years.

3. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Believe it or not, the Veo has been available overseas since freaking 2009!

I haven't heard that they're close to releasing anything new, and Medtronic is usually promising stuff years before it actually happens, so I agree with Mish's conclusion that there is nothing new coming for a while.

4. zuzinka

zuzinka Approved members

yes I do have to agree with Veo and Enlite sensors. We are living in Austria and have both already for god 3 years. Thats why for me its already pretty long so was wondering if anything new on the way. But I guess not since it only got approval in US. :(

5. Mish

Mish Approved members

I had no idea it was that long. But yeah, as far as I know they aren't even working on anything right now.

Personally, we switched to the Dexcom and haven't once regretted it. Even with the new enlites out here, there's just no way I'd even bother to try them. And, non-integrated hasn't once been an issue. In fact, I really prefer it.

So, I wouldn't hesitate to switch. :)

6. hawkeyegirl

I have heard that the next thing they have in the hopper is a device with predictive low suspend. So that it will predict that you are likely to go low and will suspend in resopnse. I can't imagine that will work very well, but I can't imagine the current low suspend works very well either.

7. zuzinka

zuzinka Approved members

But Veo already does low suspend.

8. Don

Don Approved members

The Veo and 530G will temporarily shut off basal delivery if the CGM reads at a certain #. The predictive system will shut off basal before the CGM hits that #. Obviously the sensor has to be accurate for either system to be helpful. I think many make too big a deal about this latest medtronic model. Suspending insulin is a good feature for the hypo-unaware but otherwise it is much quicker to consume sugar!

9. hawkeyegirl

Yes, but it's not predictive. The next model will suspend if it predicts you WILL go low in the next X minutes.

10. Mish

Mish Approved members

I hate to snort out loud at this stuff, but that was the least useful feature of the MM CGM for us. Literally, of all the features that worked badly for us, that one never, ever, ever was right.

11. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

We turned it off 99% of the time, the exception being when she was involved in an activity that dropped BGs really fast. Even with the predictive alert to help deal with the MM lag-time, it wasn't as good as alerting during activity as the G4 is.

12. hawkeyegirl

Hmmmm, low predict was probably the best feature of the MM CGM for us. The worst was any reading above 150 or so. Above that point, it was generally a random number generator.

13. snail_on_wheels

snail_on_wheels Approved members

14. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

Oh I hope we are not allergic to it. It says they are changing some of the adhesive? It think the false low has to somehow be corrected too. We get that on Dexcom and our Enlite. I have often thought of making something to strap on at night so they can't press on it. They would love that, Not!