- advertisement -

New Medtronic pump approved

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by dshull, Sep 27, 2013.

1. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Yes, they will send you the new pump and a box to send your old pump back to them. There's no reason the Mios won't work with the new pump. It's the same hardware as the old pump.

2. JackyH

JackyH Approved members

Hi Carole, Oscar's legs used to be a mess on the old sof sets - there is zero scar tissue or allergic reaction with the new Enlites. So much so, I've accidentally put a new sensor back into the same leg instead of rotating because neither he nor I could remember which leg the old one was in.... I hope you don't have to wait for them too long now that they have been approved - sadly it was quite a while between approval and availability in Canada.

3. 22jules

22jules Approved members

Do you know how much it would be to upgrade a revel pump that is 1/2 years old for this new system?

4. Mom264

Mom264 Approved members

It is coming! At the 2014 FFL I saw Ed Damiano's presentation on the dual chamber (insulin/glucagon) pump, which will integrate with a cgm. For me it was the highlight of the conference.

Here is a review from someone who trialed it.

diatribe.us/issues/55/test-drive

Too bad it is, at best, 3.5 years away. We will switch immediately once it is approved.

5. Wendyb

Wendyb Approved members

If you child is under 16 your "guaranteed upgrade" is not allowable. I could friggin scream.

6. Momontherun

Momontherun Approved members

I am also irritated. I called medtronic today and said we can't talk with you about the system because your son is 12. They recommended talking with your endo. I hear you loud and clear. I am going to ask for a letter of medical necessity and see what can happen.

7. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

I just got the email from medtronic about the 530G.
    They claim the enlite sensors are more accurate than the sof-sensors (if calibrated 3-4 times per day) but I thought I remembered people showing studies that said they were less accurate :confused:

8. ChaosRules

ChaosRules Approved members

My son uses the Minimed pump, which just went out of warranty for us, so a Medtronic rep called me on Friday to tell us we could get one of these new "artificial pancreas" systems. Sounds to me like there are only two advantages to using this system over what we currently have (a Minimed pump and a Dexcom G4 cgm). One is that there is only one receiver/pump, so only one thing to stow away in a pocket, and the other is that it will shut off insulin delivery if the cgm senses a low and its warning isn't responded to (it starts back up with insulin delivery after 2 hours - I forget what the reasoning was on that).

But how does the sensor compare to the G4? Does it hurt more? Is it more accurate? Less? They say it has to be replaced every 6 days - can it actually be worn longer like the G4 can? We initially chose a Dexcom cgm because they focus on cgm technology, not on pump technology. Has Medtronic really made a better cgm, or are they relying on the link to their pump to sell the product?

I don't know what to do. I guess I need to find out how much it would cost us out of pocket before making any decisions, since my son says he's perfectly happy with the pump he has now. I don't even know if we can replace his current pump with just a pump, or if we have to buy the whole system now that its out. Sounds like more money to me, and if we prefer the G4, where does that leave us if we just want a new pump because his is getting old?

I'll be curious to hear what you all think and do!

9. Marcia

Marcia Approved members

I am calling our MM rep first thing tomorrow morning to get the ball rolling. Our pump is out of warranty and we have been waiting for the VEO. Friday, Abbey was awakened from an afterschool nap and was very disoriented-her BG was 27. She was so frightened that she asked for a cgm, something she has not wanted to use. We found out Friday evening about FDA approval, what a fantastic coincidence. Abbey will be 16 Nov 1. This is like an answer to my prayers.

10. hawkeyegirl

Someone posted a study on here not too long ago that did show that, because I remember my eyes rolling right out of my head and landing on the floor across the room. I can't find it now, though. I think it was in this subforum, though.

11. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

This might be it:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23725474

The full text article has a really useful graph and table. I don't think I can post it but anyone can feel free to PM me with their email and I will send it out. It shows though that there is a selective group of people getting a 5% RAD with the sof-sensors. There was no one in this study getting comparable accuracy with the enlite sensors. My conclusion: I am not very excited about the enlites.

12. MHoskins2179

MHoskins2179 Approved members

What some may also be thinking of is the FFL 2013 presentation involving the Dexcom G4 and newer Medtronic Enlite, which shows that the G4 is more accurate than what the newest MedT sensor tech has. So while the Enlite may be more accurate than the previous MedT sensor generation, it is less accurate than what Dexcom already has had on the market.

13. hawkeyegirl

No, I was definitely thinking of the study that Meg posted the link to in the post directly above yours.

I'm glad people have choices, but I'm not remotely interested in the Enlites. Dexcom's technology is far superior.

14. nikichickee

nikichickee Approved members

I just got off the phone with Medtronic.

Not only is the upgrade not honored for those under 16. The Enlite is NOT compatible with the Revel and the 530G is NOT compatible with MySentry.

What is the point!?

15. ChaosRules

ChaosRules Approved members

It doesn't seem to me like it matters if they're compatible or not. You can't buy a 530G without an Enlite, and you can't buy an Enlite without a 530G. So you have to replace everything you already have anyway. What's up with that?

16. moco89

moco89 Approved members

Does anyone know:

1. How much the upgrade costs if you have an in-warranty Revel pump?

2. If the MySentry is potentially compatible with the 530g pump, in the future? (i.e. the 530g operates on the same frequency as the MySentry--and will therefore only require a software--not hardware update)

17. Ndiggs

Ndiggs Approved members

Pathway cost is $399 if you are in warranty.

From what I have been told, you can use the enlite with the current gen and the guardian, BUT you lack the new algrothriams and have to restart just like now.

And if you look at the other post and thread I made, it does look like Medtronic is going to honor the upgrade

18. Mom264

Mom264 Approved members

If the Enlite sensors will also transmit to the Revel, people with an out of warranty pump can use that to connect with the mysentry at night, maybe. Not perfect, but a stop-gap measure until MM gets that glitch fix.

19. Ndiggs

Ndiggs Approved members

we have friends in Detroit that bought a Veo in Canada and enlites. It does transmit to the MySentry, but when it stops insulin it reads as lost signal iirc

20. acoppus

acoppus Approved members

This is the first I have heard about the Veo/Enlites working with MySentry. I would be interested in hearing more on how this works. I use the MySentry due to my hearing loss. I have a love/hate relationship with it, but it is the only thing that wakes me up. I would love to try the Enlites but I hate to give the MySentry up.