advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Medtronic pump approved

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by dshull, Sep 27, 2013.

1. dshull

dshull Approved members

2. Mish

Mish Approved members

Yea. I'm less than impressed really. The pump itself is the same pump, plagued by the same general issues as the Revel (quiet alarms) and the sensor, from what I have heard from those who already use it elsewhere in the world, isn't really any more accurate or less inclined to give a false low when you roll over on it. Because you really can't hear and respond to MM alarms, I can just imagine that many people are going wake up with highs and realize that their pump suspended for 2 hours during the night because of a false low. We never had a MM sensor read low enough that it would matter anyway.

I don't really think we can even call it new technology. The pump really isn't doing anything novel, it's reading a sensor and performing an action. It's not really making a decision about anything, it's just responding to a number in the same way it alarms in response to a number. In this case, it's just shutting off the pump.

I know that it's been approved under the FDAs new AP category, so it's not really MM's fault for calling it such, but it's a bit disingenuous really. It's not an Artificial Pancreas by any stretch of the imagination.

3. Ndiggs

Ndiggs Approved members

on our trial we saw the sensor to be much more accurate than the soft sensor, and it read our daughter better the the Dex 7+. That said we have not tried the g4, but we are happy to have it out, FINALLY :D

4. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

We are thrilled:D Can you tell? My younger son uses the MM sensor because of extreme allergy to Dex. Now if I can figure out if we can try the Enlites with the Guardian we have to make sure he is not allergic to the new sensor.

5. Mish

Mish Approved members

Carol, it's my understanding that it does NOT work with the guardian or even with the Revel. that sort of irks me too in away. Revel came out in March of 2010, so the very early users (and we're one of them) will be ending warranty very soon in time for a new pump, but most people won't. And what's the likelihood that their insurance will cover a new pump? Almost none.

6. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

It will not work with the Guardian. Medtronic doesn't care about stand-alone users. They want to blackmail you into using the Veo. ETA: It's the same transmitter, so it will technically work with the Guardian. But you won't get the improved accuracy of the Veo algorithm. And I think they're going to stop producing the Guardian units. (I will send you ours if you want a back up.)

Oh, edited again to add: I actually don't think the FDA will allow them to send you the sensors unless you have a Veo pump.

7. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

Our current insurance has never purchased a pump for us so that is an option

I think Revel users will be able to get an upgrade maybe for a fee. MM has always had that in the past

We have two Guardians, newest about 2 years old

8. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

I have a feeling that is true. They want even one to switch

9. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

Also, I will say for those pump users still in warranty with same insurance that purchased it. Twice over the 12 years of pumps we have got new pumps at 3 years because of different features of new pumps. Endo just sent in request and we got it.

10. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

We are one of those very early revel users. At this point unless they come out with something much better, we are going with the t:slim and g4. In the early spring when our warranty is up. Dexcom has come out with 3(?) version and this is MM first to be approved. The 3k mysentry has me totally turned off of MM.

11. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

Can the mysentry be used with the new pump?

12. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I've heard that it cannot.

13. acoppus

acoppus Approved members

I have heard that too. The My Sentry actually wakes me up at night. I'm not sure I want to give that up, but would really like less painful sensors.

14. valerie k

valerie k Approved members

what I need, is a pump that will give him a bolus when HE forgets!!!!! correct the highs.... He responds to his lows. That's an artificial pancreas!:mad:

15. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

This is not an AP but in my opinion this is HUGE news for tube pump users - both the Enlite sensor and the low-BG insulin cutoff. I can't tell you how much I want insulin cutoff for the Omnipod.

16. Danielle2008

Danielle2008 Approved members

I got an email from Medtronic that they would be contacting current users shortly about upgrading. I am curious how that is going to work with the CGMS.

Can we return unopened boxes of sensors for new ones? I wonder.

17. Mom264

Mom264 Approved members

Thanks for posting. This is the long-awaited feature that has kept us from switching pump brands!

I hope it does work with MySentry. I can't even imagine how they could release a "new" pump incompatible with a relatively new device so many people had to pay for out of pocket. That would be crazy.:eek:

18. Mom264

Mom264 Approved members

I was told "yes" to that question by a mm customer svc rep some months ago. (I think it needs to be full, unopened boxes, but I'm not sure on that, so I could be wrong.)

19. Momontherun

Momontherun Approved members

Exciting news!! We got our pump in March with the option for a free upgrade. How will that possibly work? Trade in the old pump. Will the Mio work with both? We just a one month supply of sensors. I also wonder if they can be returned.

20. Danielle2008

Danielle2008 Approved members

I hope that really is the case! I have two completely unopened boxes of sensors.