- advertisement -

New looking for answers

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by MaddyJaxmom, Jan 4, 2010.

1. MaddyJaxmom

MaddyJaxmom New Member

I have a 3 year old son. I had gestational diabetes while pregnant with him and still need to monitor my own blood sugar periodically.
    On Saturday night I noticed a fruity smell on his breath. I decided to check his blood sugar and it was 229. This was 2 hours after eating dinner. Yes, we had pancakes with syrup. He is only 3 so he does not get a lot of syrup on his pancakes, but still. I called his doctors office and I was told that anything over 200 was really high. They told me that it didn't matter what he had eaten, that his sugar should not be that high. They advised me to take him to Children's Health Care. An hour had passed since my first call to them, and I decided to check his sugar again. It went down to 119 so we did not go to the ER. But I called his doctor's office this morning. They said that 229 was not that bad after eating pankcakes with syrup. But I was told Saturday night(by his office) that 229 was way high and to go to the ER???
    I know that when I had gestational, even after eating 2 pancakes with a teaspoon of syrup, that my sugar never got that high. I am supposed to do a fasting test on him, and I am also going to get some ketone strips. Am I just over reacting here? Are kids glucose levels supposed to be that high? :Thanks for any advice!
    Alina
    Mom of Maddy age 8 and Jackson age 3

2. mjtjmcouch

mjtjmcouch Approved members

Make an appt for your little one. If you are worried, it's best to get him checked by his pediatrician in person or an endocrinologist. Good Luck

3. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

I suggest you follow the advice of your pediatrician. I'm not sure what we could tell you.

4. Lee

Lee Approved members

Other then saying you should always take your child to the ER when you are told by your Pedi, I want to follow what our founder says: