- advertisement -

New here

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Sususmomma, Feb 27, 2012.

1. Sususmomma

Sususmomma New Member

Hi everyone, I'm a little disappointed to be joining this group but glad that y'all are here!
    My three year old Susu was diagnosed T1D on 16 February after a month of crankiness, a horrible diaper rash that wouldn't go away and constant thirst. I had my suspicions, as my grandmother is T1D, but was hoping for something else. I took her to the doctor after one particularly bad night of drinking three gallons of water in a 12 hour period, and we were immediately sent to Seattle Children's, where she spent 5 days.
    It's even more frustrating to me as I suffer from SLE and my older daughter has Asperger's syndrome and is bipolar. Susu was my healthy one :(.
    We are still adjusting, although I've been around T1D my whole life, it's a whole different ballgame when it's my own child. Susu is still fighting her shots every once in a while, and her BG is still running high (upper 200s- 500s) while the endo team adjusts her dosages. She is also constantly hungry, and no amount of free snacks fills her up. So frustrating.
    Anyways, this is my introduction and I look forward to talking with y'all!

2. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Hello Jenna and welcome:cwds: I am sorry you have to be here but you are in the right place. My son Steven was also 3 when he was diagnosed. He hated the shots at first and it was a very traumatic time for all of us:( I quickly figured out some things that seemed to help quite a bit. Steven really liked having a syringe with the needle removed to give his stuffed animals and all of us our insulin too. I would also try to find something on TV that he was interested in watching while I did the shot. I would do it quick and then tell him we could get on with our day;)

I remember how hungry Steven was when he was first diagnosed. Keep in contact with the endo team and let them know that your daughter is very hungry and needs more carbs to eat. She probably lost some weight before she was diagnosed. Steven was a spindly little 32 LBer when he was diagnosed. I just thought he was very thin for his age. Now he's a big guy, almost 11 and kicking my butt in bowling on the Wii:cool:

3. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

I'm so sorry about your daughter's diagnosis. My daughter was 11 at diagnosis. The first few months are the hardest. Weeks 3-4 were the absolute worst in our house. I hope they're better in yours. We were told at the hospital that we would hit New Normal in two weeks. I remember thinking at the 3-4 week mark, "If this is New Normal, I really don't like it!" But, slowly, gradually, life does change to New Normal. Sometimes it's a pain, sometimes we feel utterly burnt out, but most of the time, I watch my daughter with joy that she's with us and doesn't let diabetes slow her down.

The eating continues for about a month and then drastically slows down. My daughter hadn't grown or gained for a few months prior to diagnosis. She grew 5" and gained 24 pounds the first year. The hand-me-downs shifted in and out of her drawers quickly that year.

4. lynn

lynn Approved members

Welcome to our community. I'm sorry for your daughter's diagnosis, and the fact that you have so much other medical to deal with. There are many tricks that the people here have learned, so when a difficult situation comes up then be sure to ask for pointers. We are here for you as you.

5. Connor's Mom

Connor's Mom Approved members

Glad you found the site! It took me 2.5 years to look for support! My son was 9 when he was diagnosed and like others, free didn't equate to full no matter how much he ate. Let the Endo know she's hungry and needs more. Toddlers need to eat more often and sometimes just nibble. Not a great combination with Type1. Hang in there and use your support system! I love the idea of a needle-less syringe for her to give her lovies their shots too!

6. Jake'sMama

Jake'sMama Approved members

Welcome ~ I know it is bittersweet, but welcome all the same.

This site is a wealth of information and don't be afraid to post about anything. These people have been such a great support.

I understand how difficult it is to juggle several chronic diseases - we have a hemophiliac, diabetic and migraine sufferer. We call my daughter "The Healthy One" too! Although she's been so sick this winter, that name hasn't been true. She's got several appts coming up with allergist ENT trying to get to the bottom of her stuff.

My son was 6 when dx (diagnosed). It's never easy at any age.

Hug ~

7. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

So sorry you have to join us...but glad you are here.:cwds: My son was 4 at dx...and of course hated his shots too. We found a sticker chart to be helpful in the first couple of weeks. We called it his "Good Shot" chart, and he got a sticker every time he came to us without a fuss and stood still...rather than running and hiding. We never asked him not to complain or not to cry...only that he stand still so things were safe. After so many stickers, he got a small reward of something fun to do or a dollar store trip. Didn't need the chart for more than a couple of weeks...they adjust so fast. Moms?? Well, we take a bit longer to adjust.;) :(

Be kind to yourself in the coming weeks...this is the best place to be for support and advice.:)