- advertisement -

new here

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by tabd22, Jul 12, 2011.

1. tabd22

tabd22 Approved members

Hi,
    Our daughter Sarah was diagnosed this morning with Type 1 Diabetes. Our heads are swimming with information. I feel like I am back in college!

I have only read a few posts, but can already tell there is a wealth of information here.

Tabitha

2. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

Hi Tabitha...I'm impressed that you can even type at this moment! I'm so sorry that you and your family have to jump into this world, but please know that things will get easier and you will become a pro at this juggling act!;) So, hats off to you for looking for all the information you can...knowledge is power!

3. Lance

Lance Approved members

Like others here, we're sorry to see you here, but happy you found this site. Lots of help and info here. It was a real help in those early days. The biggest thing you'll find is that people here truly understand what you're feeling.

4. kgerrick

kgerrick Approved members

So sorry for your child's diagnosis. But you have come to the right place! There a a lot of wonderful people here! I felt like I was back in school too!! I recommend that you get the "Think like a Pancreas" book by Gary Scheiner. It is very informative. Also I found the "The Joslin guide to Diabetes" by Richard Beaser with Amy P. Campbell very good also. Educating yourself is the best thing to do it will give you confidence as you begin your new "normal" with T1D. Best Wishes to you and your family. Feel free to message me if you would like to vent since we are both new to this!:cwds:

5. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

Welcome...so sorry you have to be here.:( Take it slow...there is a huge amount of information. Just take in what you need to know to handle day to day...which is pretty basic...and you will learn more advanced things as you go. We are almost 3 years in and still learning new tricks!

Know that you and your daughter will be okay. D does not have to stop her from doing anything in her life...and she can eat anything too with proper insulin. The next few months may be hard...but these feelings of grief, panic, and bewilderment will not last. Take one day at at time...you will get through this!

Let us know how you're doing. This is the BEST place for information on what it is really like to live with D. And the best place for a shoulder to cry on, too.

Hang in there. We're with you!:cwds:

6. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Hi Tabitha:cwds: I am sorry about Sarah's diagnosis. I know that this is all very overwhelming at first. Over the coming days and weeks it will sink in and you will learn a little more each day about type 1. The most important thing you will learn is that Sarah is going to be ok, she is going to be able to dream her dreams and work towards her goals and be a happy healthy kid;)

How old is Sarah? Is she feeling alot better now on insulin? How are you feeling? Make sure to take time out each day to rest and relax and put your feet up or take a nice warm bath

7. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Just wanted to say welcome and sorry you have to be here. It does feel overwhelming at first but as time goes on you will feel much more comfortable doing all the things you need to do to keep your child safe and healthy.

Here is some more "water" into the pool you are swiming in...:cwds:

Understanding Diabetes (aka The Pink Panther book)
    by Dr. Peter Chase of the Barbara Davis Center at the University of Colorado.
    http://www.childrensdiabetesfdn.org/publications.html

Think Like a Pancreas: A Practical Guide to Managing Diabetes with Insulin
    by Gary Scheiner, Barry Goldstein
    http://www.amazon.com/Think-Like-Pancreas-Practical-Managing/dp/1569244367

Sweet Kids: How to Balance Diabetes Control & Good Nutrition with Family Peace
    by Betty Page Brackenridge, MS, RD, CDE & Richard R. Rubin, PhD, CDE. Published by the American Diabetes Association, 2002. 250 pages. Softcover.
    http://www.amazon.com/Sweet-Kids-Balance-Diabetes-Nutrition/dp/1580401244

Type 1 Diabetes: A Guide for Children, Adolescents and Young Adults -- and Their Caregivers
    by Ragnar Hanas, M.D. Published by Marlowe & Company, New York,
    http://www.amazon.com/Type-Diabetes-Adolescents-Adults-Caregivers/dp/1569243964

Finally, in addition to the forums there is a chat room here where you can talk to other parents in "real time".

http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/chat/

8. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

All I want to tell you is that your baby will be just fine--I promise!!!! I know it sucks, believe me. But take a breath, paste a smile on your face for your child, and you can cry into your pillow at night. :( But you'll have fewer and fewer of those nights, and then something funny will happen and you'll laugh again for real.

The first snow is always fun--D kids all want to know how many carbs are in snow and if they can eat some. :D

9. ashadams

ashadams Approved members

Hi Tabitha.

My name is Ashley and my son was diagnosed on 4/26/11. I am so sorry to hear of your daughter's diagnosis. You have definitely found the right place! Good luck and don't hesitate to write everyone.

10. Joretta

Joretta Approved members

Sorry you have to be here. But welcome to a place were you find friends who will be there at all hours to listen and offer support.

11. Tracy1918

Tracy1918 Approved members

Wow. I can't believe you found this website so fast. Yes! You will find lots of information here.

The books listed earlier are great. They will help a lot.

I'm so sorry about your daughter's diagnosis. I pray she'll be feeling better soon and you'll find a new routine quickly.

I know it's scary right now, but your daughter will still be able to live a very normal life. She'll be thriving in no time! : )

12. CamsMom

CamsMom Approved members

Welcome! Its gonna be okay. Glad you found this forum. :cwds:

13. Scoutjr

Scoutjr Approved members

Hi!
    I'm sorry for the diagnosis, but glad you found this forum so quickly! My 8 yo DS was diagnosed in March 2011, so we are still pretty new to this diabetes game. I have found people to be incredibly supportive, and my son has really adapted well (better than expected). He knows what he can and can't have w/o insulin (not much) and he is pretty clued in to when he feels low, which I find amazing. He will come up to me and say "I feel low" and sure enough, he is. I don't know how he learned to pick up on it so quickly. Sorry, I am rambling here. How old is your daughter? Is she school age? My son's school nurse has been fabulous! Good luck to you, and someone who was in your shoes a mere 4 months ago, I can tell it does get better, it's part of our lives now.

Victoria

14. kimmcannally

kimmcannally Approved members

Welcome to the family. Sorry you have to be here. :cwds:

If you click on the smile in the upper left corner of your screen, you can access a chat room. It is really great to talk to people in real time when you need help or have questions you want answers to.

This is the best forum on the internet - you will find all the information you need. :)

15. tabd22

tabd22 Approved members

Wow! Thank you for the warm welcome.

Sarah is 10 years old. We homeschool and I am even more grateful of that now. (One less thing to worry about) She is doing wonderful and feels much better. We kinda caught this because we thought she had a UTI, come to find out it was a yeast infection because of all of the sugar in her urine.

My husband and I did all the injections today and are feeling more comfortable.

At the moment I can't imagine letting her out of my sight for long. That gets better, right?

I love all the information here and know this will be a great source of help and encouragement.

Thank you again for welcoming me.

16. Lenoremm

Lenoremm Approved members

Hi Tabitha, It does get better, I promise. This is not a club you wanted to join but once you are here a while you will realize it is the club with the nicest people! :cwds:

17. Lynnieg123

Lynnieg123 Approved members

Tabitha,

Welcome! Sorry to hear of Sarah's diagnosis but take comfort that she will be ok. It does get better and easier but you will all have days when you really hate diabetes and wonder how you will deal with it. We've all been there and it is part of the process of dealing with the diagnosis. Just remember, none of you are alone. I am impressed you found us so fast and it speaks to your dedication to care for your daughter. You will all be fine.

Lynne

18. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

Sending Molly off to college in a month. Little by little you'll be ready to let her go off and be a kid...just takes a bit more planning!