- advertisement -

New Here

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Crystall, Oct 23, 2009.

1. Crystall

Crystall Approved members

Hey I am new here. I am looking for a good web site to purchase a Medical Id Bracelet.

My little boy is 14 months and I am having a hard time finding one small enough to fit him. Can anyone help me?

I am also looking for good carb counting books........I am lost when it comes to feeding him. I fix this great meal count all the Carbs and then Ean will eat 1/3 of it. He is to little to understand he has to eat all of his Carbs. Then I have to estimate how many he ate and try to get him to eat something else. Anyone with babies that can give me some pointers???? Thanks

Crystall

2. TripleThreat

TripleThreat Approved members

For the Food i would get a salter scale, it gives you carb counts for the food item. If your child doesn't finish just weigh the food again and minus from original amount. also Calorie King is a good book

You can also get temporary diabetic tatoos, but im sure someone with a younger child will let you know where they got bracelets

3. momma_fish2007

momma_fish2007 Approved members

My son was diagnosed at 21 months so in a way it's a lot older than yours and in a way I feel your pain :)

Julian can be a finicky eater but we just had to get used to figuring out what the whole would be and then dividing it by what he did eat. A little calculator might help. Like if I gave him 45g of spaghetti and he ate a third of it it would be 15 of course. You'll get quicker at it once your brain stops spinning so fast :)

And as for the medical bracelets www.fifty50.com is a good site. It has soft bracelets that are made out of like wetsuit material (called neoprene) and they have different designs. I think where Ean is so little you'll have to go with the rocket ship design until he gets older but the bracelets are $10 apiece and half the money goes to diabetes research. The bracelets aren't that good in that the designs come off relatively easily but if you just put it on him when you're leaving the house and had a couple on hand that would probably work out all right. Just snoop around the internet and you'll get what you're looking for. Good luck and if you ever need to private message anyone on here anyone would love to hear from you!

4. Gracie'sMom

Gracie'sMom Approved members

We use http://www.instyleid.com for our ID bracelets. They are adjustable and flexible, you can buy different bands and slide the metal ID portion onto it, and they are inexpensive also. We have had the metal part for over a year and it's still in good condition, and my daughter ruins everything:) They have some fun bands with themes also which are good for little one's.

5. 22jules

22jules Approved members

A great place for medical id bracelets is www.oneida-medical-jewelry.com. They have a bracelet jr. for kids in stainless steel and they are sized to fit. Also, they engrave, not stamp on the information so it doesn't wear off. They are very quick as well. Also, the clasp is impossible to take off.

As to the food--do you have an insulin to carb ratio? What insulin regime are you on? Knowing this will make it easier to help.

Sorry about the dx. I wish none of us had reason to be here:(

6. Mom2rh

Mom2rh Approved members

I found my son's medical bracelets on ebay.

7. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Hi Crystall, welcome:) I hope your little boy is doing well with diabetes. We always get STevens bracelets from the Fifty/50 company the bracelets in there can be adjusted pretty easily and they have nifty sports ones, dinosaurs and some other really neat designs. Have you asked your endo if you can bolus after your son eats? with babys like that its often easier to just get him to eat how much he wants and bolus for that amount of carbs after.

8. piratelight

piratelight Approved members

I second the above! And their customer service has always been great for us!

9. candise

candise Approved members

The Salter 1450 scale is amazing. We use it all the time in our house. For little ones who eat small amounts it would be very useful. It comes preloaded with lots of foods. So you just put the strawberries (or whatever you are feeding him) on the scale and scroll down to the item. It gives you carb counts for that portion.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2009
  10. gboysmom

gboysmom Approved members

Welcome!!!! :D

11. shirley83006

shirley83006 Approved members

12. Crystall

Thank you all for the help! I have to do 30 carbs for Breakfast lunch and Dinner. 3 15 carb snacks.

Thanks for all of the bracelet sites!!

13. Crystall

I am sorry I don't understand everything yet.....what does bolus for amount of carbs mean?

Crystall

14. sugarmonkey

sugarmonkey Approved members

It looks like you're not a carb ratio yet.
    Most of the kids here use a carb ratio to work out their insulin. You work out how many carbs they're going to eat, and then work out how much insulin to give for that amount of carbs.
    As an example:
    My son's carb ratio for tea is 1 unit of insulin for every 18 grams of carbs. Last night for tea he had 35 grams of carbs. So that was 1.95 units of insulin (he's on a pump so we can be pretty exact).

You might want to ask your doctor to put your son on a carb ratio. It's definitely a lot easier for littlies. You can't keep forcing a baby to eat a certain amount each meal.

15. 22jules

22jules Approved members

Giving insulin for a set amount of carbs--something that your doctor should be able to help you with. For example my daughter for dinner gets 1 unit of insulin for every 20 grams of carbs that she eats.

With a little one it would help tremendously because it has to be hard to force a little one to eat --and then you are stuck giving junk in order to come up with the 30 carbs. Also, it seems that it is easier to dose insulin AFTER your little one eats. My daughter is older so we dose before because she knows she is having to finish everything. Again really hard to have a little one understand that and you don't want to start battles around food.

If you can get a insulin to carb ratio from your doctor then you can see what it is they did eat and dose based off that. It could mean more shots through the day but your child will be able to eat whatever they want, when they want and also have the choice to not eat when they don't.

Please know that we have all been where you are and please keep asking questions---there is a lot to learn:D

16. 22jules

22jules Approved members

OOps Stacie beat me to it!:D

17. Momof4gr8kids

Momof4gr8kids Approved members

One thing I would ask your doctor about is diluted insulin, and half unit syringes. These will both help make it easier to give smaller doses so that you don't have to make him eat so many carbs to give him his insulin.

18. momma_fish2007

momma_fish2007 Approved members

Ahh, I'm sorry too. I forgot it's only been since May that we've been able to do whatever carbs we want. We went from last October til this May on that same concept. Stick to X amount of carbs regardless.

Now we've got an insulin algorithm they printed up for us where you take their before BG and how many carbs they're eating and match it up to your insulin dose but the Dr has to see the insulin sensitivity before that based on the info he gets from you from how you're handling this now.

19. Crystall

Thanks Shirly

I ordered a Id Bracelet from one of the web sites you posted....so cute!

20. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Hi again Crystal, is your little boy on NPH and humolog? My son was on these insulins for the first 4 years after he was diagnosed. He had to eat a certain amount of carbs for his meals and snacks and we would give him insulin in the morning and at suppertime only. Its a bit easier if the kids are on lantus and humolog because then they can eat as much or as little as they want and you can give them the humolog to cover that only.