- advertisement -

New Here

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by BellasMom, Sep 10, 2009.

1. BellasMom

BellasMom Approved members

Hi,

My name is Meagan. I am a Mom of 3 kids. My daugther Isabelle, was diagnised February 3rd, 2009...injecting Novolog and Lantus. I am new to the forum and have been reading posts...already seeing some words I don't recognize... I look forward to meeting parents who also deal with this dis-ease.

2. hdm42

hdm42 Approved members

Hi Meagan, and welcome to the club you never wanted to join. There are lots of people here to answer questions or just to "chat" with. There are no dumb questions, either, so feel free to ask anything. Diabetes is a constant learning experience.

3. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Hi Meagan:) Welcome to the family! Im sorry you have to be here but hope you find strength being part of this group. We are all here to give you a hand, answer questions, give support and understanding. How old is Isabelle? Is she doing ok with the diabetes? Are you doing ok with everything? Join us in the parents chat room if you like

4. iluvmhp

iluvmhp Approved members

Hi Megan, you found the right place. Welcome and hang in there.

5. dvane

dvane Approved members

Welcome Megan. Sorry you had to join. Here you will find so many wonderful people that know what it is like to live with diabetes.

6. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Hello,
    I just wanted to say welcome, but sorry you have to be here. You have found a great site for support and information. The early days are very tough, you are overwhelmed emotionally, sleep deprived, and scared. But over time you will become more comfortable dealing with all the things you need to do to live with this illness. You will find a "new normal" believe it or not and things will get into more of a routine. All the parents here are proof of that.

Here are some books you may find useful:

The "bible" of childhood diabetes, "Understanding Diabetes" (aka The Pink Panther book) by Dr. Peter Chase of the Barbara Davis Center at the University of Colorado.
    http://www.uchsc.edu/misc/diabetes/books/ud11/ud11.html

Think Like a Pancreas: A Practical Guide to Managing Diabetes with Insulin [ILLUSTRATED] by Gary Scheiner, Barry Goldstein

Sweet Kids: How to Balance Diabetes Control & Good Nutrition with Family Peace, Second Edition by Betty Page Brackenridge, MS, RD, CDE & Richard R. Rubin, PhD, CDE. Published by the American Diabetes Association, 2002. 250 pages. Softcover. US$16.95.

Type 1 Diabetes: A Guide for Children, Adolescents and Young Adults -- and Their Caregivers by Ragnar Hanas, M.D. Published by Marlowe & Company, New York, 2005. ISBN 1-56924-396-4. US$34.95.

Not sure what your school situation is, but here is a link to a thread that has a lot of info about dealing with schools.

http://forums.childrenwithdiabetes.com/showthread.php?t=20042

Finally, in addition to the forums there is a chat room here where you can talk to other parents in "real time".

http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/chat/

Hang in there :cwds:

7. 2type1s

2type1s Approved members

Welcome! This is a great place for support and to learn. I joined the group 8 years into dx, and learned a ton!

8. BellasMom

BellasMom Approved members

Thanks for the welcome...and all of the information! I do have a couple of those books and need to start reading Think Like a Pancreas. I've practiced Holistic medicine for almost 8 years. I very fortunate to have some amazing people around me. So I've really just jumped in and started research. It is still such a frustrating thing. Isabelle is 9 and she's a trooper! I'm really impressed with her approach to the whole thing.

Thanks for having me here...seems like a great group of people!