- advertisement -

New here

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by amyd, Jul 17, 2006.

1. amyd

amyd Approved members

Hello.

My baby was just diagnosed last monday with diabetes. Now I have 2 diabetic children, both of them diagnosed at age 1yr. Does anyone else out there have more than one diabetic child?

I also have a question about complications. My older son with diabetes has been complaining of tingling in his feet sometimes at night. He's had diabetes for 5 years now and I'm worried that it may be neuropathy. Can that happen in such a young child?

2. kittycatgirl

kittycatgirl Approved members

Hello,
    Well, I'm sorry to hear about your little one's diagnosis. I only have one so far with diabetes and she is 12.

She has mentioned her feet falling asleep lately..... both times it was at swimming class and both times she was low. I am going to mention it the next time we talk to the endo nurse. I will let you know if we get any answers.

Good luck and be strong.
    Diana

3. isaiah268m

isaiah268m Approved members

4. zimbie45

zimbie45 Approved members

HI
    welcome to the group , I am sorry to hear of your little one dx.. there are a few parents here of more that 1 child dx.. I only have one so far.. As far as the tingling... my daughter is 5 too , dx at age 3.. she has had the tingling ( mainly at night ) since dx... it does come and go, and she says the ants are back and eating my bones... :( .. her endo knows about it and has found it very interesting since she is so young and has only had this for such a small amount of time.. but its real.. He says it can happen any time that her bs are out of range ( high) or has been fluxuating alot.... You definatly have your hands full, keep up posted..

Chandra

5. EmmasMom

EmmasMom Approved members

Hello Amy and Welcome!
    I'm so sorry to hear about your second child being diagnosed, and at such a young age. :( I know how hard it is to have a diabetic infant, I can't imagine having another D child to deal with at the same time!
    My husband is type 1, so I have some idea of what it's like to have two diabetics under one roof, (I've had days where one is 450 w/ ketones and the other is 40 and shaking at the same time :eek:) but it's very different than managing two children!!

I would definitely talk to your endo about the tingling feet. The best way to avoid neuropathy, as I'm sure you know, is with good blood sugar control. Being dx'd very young and running high for years can start complications at a much earlier age, so keeping sugars as good as possible is key. I really hope it's nothing, I can't imagine dealing with a complication so early in life!

Keep us posted!

6. AmyMcCracken

AmyMcCracken Approved members

Hi Amy. My daughter is 6 and she has had problems with painful tingling in her hands and feet. She was diagnosed when she was 4 1/2 but has had problems with the tingling for at least 12 months before that. It doesn't seem related to her blood sugars and happens during the day and at night.

I plan on talking to her Endo when we see him in August.

7. Chase's mom

Chase's mom Approved members

Hi Amy welcome to this site. My son is also newly dx he is 12 I can't imagine having to babies with diabetes. Stay strong and keep hope that one day all of our children will be cured.My son hasn't complained of anything yet other than his stomach will hurt from time to time.Good luck:D

8. Jen Jen

Jen Jen Approved members

I remember when I went through a rough period with tingling hands and feet when I was about thirteen, my sugars were pretty even and in a good range at the time, I had been type one for a couple years at that point. I found stretching helped quite a bit during that time, also helped with the restless feeling in my legs, too. It may be hard to get a 5 - 10 year old to stretch properly or at all, but it's worth a try to help with circulation, for the younger, you can always make it a game. Another thing to keep in mind, potassium levels, insulin usage can deplete one's potassium. If they have low potassium, it can cause problems with muscle cramps(especially leg), weakness, and tingling. It doesn't hurt to have the Doc check when they're doing other blood tests. Potassium levels will in general be low in a type one D, especially with a bout of DKA under their belt.

9. amyd

amyd Approved members

Thanks for the welcome and advice. I do plan on talking to the endo about his feet, it just seems strange to see nueropathy in a 6 yr old. It scares me, actually. If he's getting complications now what will it be like in another 5 yrs?

10. RobinKop

RobinKop Approved members

Hi Amy & Welcome to the board.

I only have one daughter and we were only diagnosed 3 months ago - but I find this thread very interesting. Kim has ALWAYS had restless feet. When she was a little tiny baby I use to lay down in bed with her and she would burrow her feet under my body to keep them still. We have since graduated to some heavy pillows on her feet - but she HAS to have something holding her feet still to sleep. It's so strange......

Her feet have been a lot more calm since we were diagnosed and since we started the insulin. :cwds: Hindsight is always 20/20 - but I really think she has had this for quite some time.

I'm glad to know what it is and that we have tools and medicines to help! :cwds:

11. Kelly

Kelly Approved members

Hugs to you.
    My daughter was 10 months when diagnosed. So far she is our only child, but we are trying for a second baby (((fingers crossed))). I'd be interested to see how many others have more then one child with the disease. Good luck to you. Sorry I cant help you with the feet thingy.

12. kristy

kristy Approved members

Can't help you with the feet or having more than one child dx. The best I can do is send you hugs and keep you in my thoughts. Good luck to you and let us know how you are doing.

13. molly

molly Approved members

I would be inclined to say yes it can happen however check with your child's doctor to assure that it is neuropathy. I can't imagine having two children with diabetes. Is your son whom is experiencing the tingling in his feet pretty well controlled in his bloodsugars?

14. diabx2mom

diabx2mom Approved members

Hi,
    Sounds like you have your hands full!!! I do have two children with diabetes. They were dxd 9 months apart. My oldest had been tested for celiac, also...but thankfully it was negative. I don't know if I could have handled all of it!!!
    I don't know much about the feet tingling. My kids have never mentioned that to me. But I would definately ask your endo about it soon!!!!
    Goodluck with everything!!!
    Lorri

15. diabx2mom

diabx2mom Approved members

Hi there, I just noticed you are from Ma....What part?????

16. zookpr

zookpr Approved members

Hi! Welcome to the board. I have two children with type 1 d. My children haven't mentioned anything about tingly feet or hands. Sorry I can't help you out there.

17. muddymessalonskee

muddymessalonskee Approved members

I have two children with Type 1 diabetes, a daughter (diagnosed at 6, in 2001) and a son (diagnosed at 14, this past January). Our other daughter knows that she could end up with Type 1 as well. Sigh.

Neither child has complained of tingly feet. My daughter is extremely susceptible to athlete's foot, and rarely wears "closed" shoes, which is tricky in the winter in Maine! (She has the most trouble in winter, even though her time in boots and shoes is kept to a minimum.

Deborah

18. Cheryl in CA

Cheryl in CA Approved members

Two with D

Hi Amy..

I have two with D. My 2-year-old was just diagnosed 3 months ago, and my 14-year-old has had it since he was 8.

I'm not new to the CWD parent's list or site, but pretty new to this forum. It look slike you found a great place for answers and support.

19. amyd

amyd Approved members

Thanks everyone for the welcome, I really appreciate the support here.

I'm sorry I disappeared for a bit, it's been pretty hectic.
    Thanks again :)

20. Cheryl in CA

Cheryl in CA Approved members

Amy, complications don't usually show up before around the 10 year mark, or after, or never (hopefully). I would definitley check with your endo. There are some tests that can be ran to see what the problem is.