- advertisement -

New here, would like to introduce myself

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by BittysMom, Aug 21, 2011.

1. BittysMom

BittysMom Approved members

Night checks- I feel like she's a newborn in some respects, but with added worry. I suppose I'll get used to waking up to all kinds of numbers during the night.

2. BittysMom

3. BittysMom

Thank you. This board does seem very welcoming. :)

4. lgouldin

lgouldin Approved members

Hello, Sorry you have to be here:( You will be so glad you found this site:D. I'm new also but have found a lot of helpful info!

5. acjsmom

acjsmom Approved members

Hi, Linda. Welcome, although I am sorry you have to be here, if you know what I mean. My dd was five and half when she was diagnosed. I understand about being nervous about school. I was scared to death the day school started, and she had actually had the same teacher the year before. I know everything is overwhelming right now, but it will get better in time. My dd was a nightmare at first about the shots, but she finally resolved herself to it. I took about a month or so with her, but most children take about a couple of weeks. My dd is just a little on the dramatic side.

We are now two years into this and dd doesn't remember a time without diabetes. Kind of sad, but in a way it makes it a little better because she doesn't remember being without. Life is a lot better with the pump. One day when you and she are ready, I hope that is an option for you.

6. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

oh ..when it rains it pours. I totally get this. Rant away. My dh was deployed during our DX and I just would stop often and think "what part of the universe thought THIS was a good time for a diabetes dx?"

7. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Hi Linda, Im sorry about Caroline's diagnosis. I know its all very frightening right now, lean on your diabetes team. That is why they are there, someone's always on call night and day. And there is always someone here to help you out with any questions or concerns you have. It's amazing how resilient and brave our kids are. I remember my son crying and getting very upset when it came time for a shot then he'd race outside and get right back in the game:)

8. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

Hi and Welcome.

My daughter was dx at almost 3.. I remember the whole starting off to kindergarten thing.. it was terrifying! But everything worked out, the school was (and still is) wonderful. Sending them off to be in someone else's care for the first time is scary by itself, through diabetes care into it and it can be overwehlming at times.

You WILL be able to make judgement calls and decisions.. You are taking in so much information right now.. but soon it'll be second nature. Take it one day at a time.

9. jbmom1b2g

jbmom1b2g Approved members

My DD was just diagnosed in June also. She is starting school tomorrow. It has helped me to be in contact with her teacher and the school nurse. I am still way nervouse about her being in school but I know she will be fine. It is definitly a hard adjustment but it does get easier. Good luck with everything

10. BittysMom

Just this morning she asked me when she can stop doing the shots. I think she's forgotten our conversations in the hospital. I had to remind her that she'll always need insulin and she cried and said she wouldn't do it anymore. I let her measure her cereal and then she let me inject her with no problem. I think it's going to be a series of little acceptances for her. I'm hoping school will keep her mind so busy with new people/tasks that the d will be oldish news. I hope she'll get on the pump at some point, seems a bit easier.

11. BittysMom

I can't imagine not having DH around for this. That must have been so tough.

12. BittysMom

Thanks so much for the encouragement.

13. BittysMom

I think once I can get this addressed with her teacher/nurse I'll feel a bit better. I'm thankful that I don't work and her school is at the end of my street.

14. BittysMom

Good luck with her first day of school! I have to remind myself how happy *Caroline* will be going to school. It can't be all about my fear.

15. Pavlos

Pavlos Approved members

Hi Linda!

We have all faced the frustration of being newbies at this, I can assure you that things will get better. Knowledge, love and insulin are the three pillars to tackling diabetes, and this site will help you with the first two.

Here is my 5 cents: Is your kid using a syringe or a pen? In case you are using a syringe, ask your endo about possibly switching to a pen. In the case of my daughter, it made a heck of a difference - besides being much more practical, it has the huge psychological plus of making diabetes care appear much less clinical :)

16. BittysMom

Thanks, I'll ask about the pen, we're just using syringes.