- advertisement -

New from Georgia

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by cmsullivan, Sep 16, 2009.

1. cmsullivan

cmsullivan Approved members

Hi all!
    My name is Carrie, My youngest son Leland was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes last March. He is only 22 months, this whole thing has been a huge challenge but for the most part he does pretty well as far as not fighting sugar checks and the injections. We are hoping to get him on a pump soon :D I look forward to getting to know others who have kids with diabetes as well as some children who are willing to share their experiences.

2. Sunny

Sunny New Member

Here to help

My daughter was diagnosed Jan. this year and she is nine. I have learned alot since than and would help you as much as I can. I also have a sister whom is Type 1 for 11 years now so I have learned from her mistakes over the years and it came into consideration when my daughter was diagnosed. 1st step is don't panic and stay calm Type 1 is very manageable you just have to really get to know your childs patterns. I am pretty good a knowing what to do next when things seem to change from one day to another. I have been there with the large ketones and I have been there with a sugar over 500 and I learn everytime how to handle it and sometimes better the next time it happens. Diabetes takes over your life about the first year and after that diabetes is just part of your life and it comes to you easily. I am here to help if you need me.:eek:

3. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Hello,
    I just wanted to say welcome, but sorry you have to be here. You have found a great site for support and information. The early days are very tough, you are overwhelmed emotionally, sleep deprived, and scared. But over time you will become more comfortable dealing with all the things you need to do to live with this illness. You will find a "new normal" believe it or not and things will get into more of a routine. All the parents here are proof of that.

Here are some books you may find useful:

The "bible" of childhood diabetes, "Understanding Diabetes" (aka The Pink Panther book) by Dr. Peter Chase of the Barbara Davis Center at the University of Colorado.
    http://www.uchsc.edu/misc/diabetes/books/ud11/ud11.html

Think Like a Pancreas: A Practical Guide to Managing Diabetes with Insulin [ILLUSTRATED] by Gary Scheiner, Barry Goldstein

Sweet Kids: How to Balance Diabetes Control & Good Nutrition with Family Peace, Second Edition by Betty Page Brackenridge, MS, RD, CDE & Richard R. Rubin, PhD, CDE. Published by the American Diabetes Association, 2002. 250 pages. Softcover. US$16.95.

Type 1 Diabetes: A Guide for Children, Adolescents and Young Adults -- and Their Caregivers by Ragnar Hanas, M.D. Published by Marlowe & Company, New York, 2005. ISBN 1-56924-396-4. US$34.95.

Finally, in addition to the forums there is a chat room here where you can talk to other parents in "real time".

http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/chat/

Hang in there :cwds:

4. Seans Mom

Seans Mom Approved members

Hi Carrie,

Welcome to the CWD forums. I'm sorry to hear about Lelands diagnosis, it's always sad to welcome new members considering the circumstances.
    I'm glad he is taking it so well, our kids really are such brave troopers. Please join us in the parents forum for more support and interaction. Glad you found us and hope we can help you on this journey.

5. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Hi Carrie and Sunny too:) Welcome to the family. Im sorry you had to find us but please be assured that we are all here for you. Come in here often to ask questions or just cause its a good feeling to talk to people who understand and care. Also join us in the parents chatroom if you like.

6. tom_ethansdad

tom_ethansdad Approved members

Welcome to CWD Carrie. Your Leland was diagnosed just a month before our Ethan. We have found CWD to be a great resource of people willing to help, and people who understand what you are going through. Ethan started pumping a month ago and we love it. It gives him much more freedom as he doesn't have to decide if he wants to eat a snack bad enough to have another injection. Instead he can decide based on whether or not he is hungry or if he wants to join with the others who are snacking, just like any other child.

7. ccarrol4

ccarrol4 Approved members

Hi! I'm from GA too! Just wanted to say welcome to the forums. I was dx'd when I was ten, and I'll be 21 on Saturday. Originally I'm from Griffin, but right now I'm living in Augusta going to school. Feel free to PM me :)

8. cmsullivan

cmsullivan Approved members

Thank you all for the warm welcoming! I hope to learn a lot form this message board :)

9. Toni

Toni Banned

Welcome to the forums. I'm always sad to see such young ones diagnosed. When on this board, I am sometimes grateful DN was diagnosed at the ripe old age of eight.:( I do know there are experienced Moms whose children were diagnosed as babies on the Chat. Sorry your son was diagnosed but glad you found CWD. There is so much information on this site.

10. wdhinn89

wdhinn89 Approved members

Welcome :cwds:

11. 2type1s

2type1s Approved members

Welcome...this is a wonderful place. You'll find so many who are going through, or have gone through every thing you are thinking, feeling and facing! It's a great family!

12. Norsewitch

Norsewitch Approved members

Welcome to the boards!!!