- advertisement -

New DX

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Bear, Apr 9, 2009.

1. Bear

Bear Approved members

Hi everyone. I'm brand new, both here and to the diabetes world. A week ago last Tuesday, in the morning, my ten-month old Charlie (we call him Charlie Bear, hence the handle) was fine. Tuesday afternoon he was sick, saw his pediatrician, was diagnosed with a nondescript bug and was sent home with tylenol. Wednesday morning he was in obvious distress and, upon return to the pediatrician, was immediately taken by ambulance to Children's in Houston. He was critical on arrival with glucose over 850. Instant diagnosis, type 1. After a scary day in the PICU, intubated and wired to the nines, he recovered and was sent to the floor. We just got home from Children's today with the whole works in tow--Humalog, Lantus, 4 precision meters, etc., etc.

We are handling things pretty well but obviously have a lot to learn. I figure that I'll probably be a regular here and wanted to intoduce myself. Here's a few pics of Charlie at Children's:

Charlie looking the best he could in the PICU

[​IMG]

Charlie standing up in his crib, getting back to normal

[​IMG]

Charlie with his grandmother on the floor

[​IMG]

Anyway, it's a pleasure to meet you all as we start this new journey. Hopefully I'll read read some good stories and get some good advice.

2. CButler

CButler Approved members

Awww,poor baby. Welcome and feel free to join in and post questions of any kind. You guys must be worn out and overwhelmed right now.

3. ShanaB

ShanaB Approved members

Welcome to you and Charlie! My 11 month old was diagnosed a week ago Friday and although I have finally recovered from the trauma of what lead up to the diagnosis, the reality of the disease is setting in and I'm having difficulties. :( Just like the bg's, I'm up and down!

All that to say, you have found a great place for information and emotional support - these people really know their stuff and they are awesome to talk to. Be easy on yourself, it's a big change and can be overwhelming at times.

If I can provide any support, please ask!

4. mrcool

mrcool Approved members

This is a great place to get advice, we've got so much knowledge here! You only need to ask a question and somebody will surely help you.

Hope your baby is doing good and all the best as you adjust to the new life!

5. Denise

Denise Approved members

Bless those of you who have little ones who have T1. I simply cannot imagine. It was hard enough having an 8 yr old for dx. I just cannot imagine having a young one. Welcome to the newbies...keep reading, ask questions (no such thing as a dumb question)...and know you are NOT alone!

6. 2type1s

2type1s Approved members

Welcome...your little Bear is adorable. I'm a little distressed at all the babies being diagnosed...I've never seen so many in the 10 years I've been dealing with this! Your are lucky to have found this site so early....it's been a God send and lifesaver many times. Post often in the children with D forum and let everyone know how you're doing!

7. Eve

Eve Approved members

Welcome to CWD. Sorry to hear about your little guy. This place has got the best people around to talk to and help you along. Come visit the parent chat room. Hope to see you there:) Take care ((hugs))

8. Omo2three

Omo2three Approved members

Hi .....your little one is soo cute:cwds:

I can't imagine what it is like with a child so young...Ambrea was 12 at Dx.
    I am glad you found us on CWD....welcome!:)

Hugs!

9. tiffanie1717

tiffanie1717 Approved members

Welcome to CWD! I know you are probably feeling very nervous and overwhelmed right now. It's okay, we were all there, too. Just know that it DOES get easier to handle - you'll learn a lot over the next year and just take it one step at a time.

Ask any questions you have, there is always someone on here that can help out! ;)

10. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Hello,
    I just wanted to say welcome, but sorry you have to be here. You have found a great site for support and information. The early days are very tough, you are overwhelmed emotionally, sleep deprived, and scared. But over time you will become more comfortable dealing with all the things you need to do to live with this illness. You will find a "new normal" believe it or not and things will get into more of a routine. All the parents here are proof of that.

Here are some books you may find useful:

The "bible" of childhood diabetes, "Understanding Diabetes" (aka The Pink Panther book) by Dr. Peter Chase of the Barbara Davis Center at the University of Colorado.
    http://www.uchsc.edu/misc/diabetes/books/ud11/ud11.html

Think Like a Pancreas: A Practical Guide to Managing Diabetes with Insulin [ILLUSTRATED] by Gary Scheiner, Barry Goldstein

Sweet Kids: How to Balance Diabetes Control & Good Nutrition with Family Peace, Second Edition by Betty Page Brackenridge, MS, RD, CDE & Richard R. Rubin, PhD, CDE. Published by the American Diabetes Association, 2002. 250 pages. Softcover. US$16.95.

Type 1 Diabetes: A Guide for Children, Adolescents and Young Adults -- and Their Caregivers by Ragnar Hanas, M.D. Published by Marlowe & Company, New York, 2005. ISBN 1-56924-396-4. US$34.95.

Finally, in addition to the forums there is a chat room here where you can talk to other parents in "real time".

http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/chat/

Hang in there :cwds:

11. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

He and welcome to our family:cwds: Charlie is just gorgeous! Im so sorry you have to join us here but I promise you we will give you lots of support through your journey. We've all traveled down this road, some for many years some others just starting out. Its a much easier load to carry if you have people to help along the way. Ive come to depend on this site for support and understanding. The people in here are kind, loving parents and friends and we all share a common bond. Join us in the parents chat room when you get a chance. Theres usually someone in there to chat with.

12. RosemaryCinNJ

RosemaryCinNJ Approved members

Charlie is sooooo cute...welcome welcome!!! So sorry you had to find us...We had the same experience at diagnosis..ICU, DKA...horrible!!!
    But I am glad you found CWD...you will find tons of support here for little Charlie and your self as well...he is a cutie pie!!

13. debbiefran

debbiefran Approved members

Welcome to the group.. I am so sorry that Charlie is so young and you found out so recently... I hope that things will get better for you and Charlie... My five year old daugther was diagnosed in september 2008 and she is doing well... Charlie will do well and it will seem like second nature to keep his sugars under control... Please feel free if you have any questions or concerns...