- advertisement -

New driver with T1

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by ChocolateLover, May 6, 2014.

1. ChocolateLover

ChocolateLover Approved members

Does anyone have a sticker on driver's side passenger window or rear window stating driver may have T1????

Looking for how others are dealing with this situation.

Thanks,

Jen

2. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

My friend has a medical alert sticker that says "diabetic on board." It's very large and you can't miss it. IMO, too large.
    I honestly don't know how I'd handle it. We have a while to go still…whew!

https://www.facebook.com/diabeticdecals

3. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

In our lawsuit happy world, this is not something I would want on my son's vehicle.
    Someone here said their child had a keychain, that might be a less visible option that would still be found, possibly. Encourage to wear a medical ID.

I guess for me, if I had a child whose diabetes was such that I was overly worried about lows leading to unconsciousness to the point where this would be needed, I wouldn't allow him/her to drive. Using dexcom, checking before you drive, knowing your body, that's what we focused on.

4. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

Mine would be horrified. That and she's strictly opposed to having any sort of stickers on her car. She does wear a medical ID. I've stressed the importance of testing not just because of lows but my concern is say someone hits her, finds out she's Type 1 and tries to use that to blame her for the accident. If she's got a meter reading or dexcom data showing she was in range that would help her defense. And she did get into a minor fender bender, totally not her fault and the other driver took responsibility. But it was a good example for her in that something can happen any time even if she's doing everything right.

5. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Makes sense.

Now, my friend who has one on her car also has a million other stickers, some D related some not. IMO, you can't see it through all the other stuff plastered on her car.
    Left wrist, necklace. Those are always the two places emergency responders are supposed to check. Plus, what if the car was in an accident and the part with the sticker was the one that was hit and isn't visible? You've got nothing. At least on the person it is visible.

My daughter saw the car I mentioned today and said to me "don't you dare!"

6. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I plan to require him to wear medical ID once he starts driving. (He doesn't currently.) So, no sticker, but either a bracelet or necklace.