- advertisement -

New diagnosis

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mom2Hanna, May 8, 2013.

1. mom2Hanna

mom2Hanna Approved members

So sad to find out one of the families in my neighborhood had their daughter dxd last week. So it is the 3rd child in my neighborhood in 6 yrs. my daughter is one of 5 in her grade, in a class of 300. Doesn't that seem like a lot?

2. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

So sorry to hear of your neighbor's diagnosis. :(

Yeah, that does sound like quite a little pocket of D diagnoses. My kids are being moved to a bigger elementary school next year, and selfishly I was hoping there would be another kid with D there so my son didn't feel so alone, but out of 750 students, he'll still be the only one.

3. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Our grade class size is about 120 and we have on average 2-3 kids in dd's grade each year. Two D kids on our little street, maybe 6 in the immediate neighborhood. Makes me wonder if CT or even our county is a hot spot :confused: I might ask our CDE next time we see her.

Sorry to hear about your neighbor. I'm sure you will be there when they are ready :cwds:

4. 3kidlets

3kidlets Approved members

We have a lot in our school district too. We're not a heavily populated town (big land wise but rural). There are 4 in Hana's grade of about 150 and maybe 10 or 11 in the school district with T1.

Sorry to hear abut the new diagnosis.

5. momof1CWDinohio

momof1CWDinohio Approved members

We used to live in the western suburbs of Boston. In the Weston/Wellesley area, there was such a concentration of T1D that one mom contacted the CDC. After a thorough review, the area was determined to be a hotspot (or whatever the proper term is) for T1D. Connecticut isn't far from Massachusetts. Wonder if something similar is going on near you...

6. mom2Hanna

mom2Hanna Approved members

That seems like so many in your town. Hanna did a study and she has a gene that predisposed her but even so. In the extended neighborhood I realized there is actually 4 kids, it's a big neighborhood but doesn't cover a lot of ground, if that makes sense. Maybe a square mile.

I called as soon as I heard and dropped off a JDRF backpack, and a delica and one of those cuter accucheck cases. I told the mom it's like a club that you don't want anyone to join.

7. LoveMyHounds

LoveMyHounds Approved members

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNmCJJ6S48c
    We're not that far from them.... :confused:

8. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Yes it really does. Especially considering CT doesn't have any really huge cities, large yes, but still it seems a lot for a small state.

I remember when we used to go to camp down in Greenwich that this topic of conversation came up. There were families comparing how many kids in their schools, almost a game of "can you top this?" I was kind of an honorary member of this club because even though I wasn't from CT I was born and raised there:cwds:

I remember this and it's been reported on (and referred back to) many times. I am happy this mom started the quest to try and find out what was going on.

9. Anyelday

Anyelday Approved members

There is another little girl on our street that has T1 and 4 kids at the local school which is only grades 1-4...seems like a lot to me too.

10. SandiT

SandiT Approved members

When Kira was in Boston Children's, one of the staff said that there had been 50 new cases in the last 30 days alone. She sounded as shocked as I felt.

We live in NH, but interestingly, our martial arts instructor said, "We have several diabetic children in classes here now".

I know it makes me sound insane, but something is going on. A catastrophic surge in diabetes in kids... something's happening to our children's immune systems. Someone needs to get on top of this, pronto. Figure out what's going on and why so many children's immune systems are doing this.

Anyway, in our school district, Kira is the second with diabetes, but I've been hearing about others in the surrounding areas, too.

However, both kids from our school district live in our subdivision!

11. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

I think these hotspots need to be investigated further. K was diagnosed while we were in CT, and there are definitely a number of other kids with D in our town and the town over. By contrast, I've been at the same school in Ontario for 14 years, and there has never been a child with diabetes there. I recognize that this is not exactly a large sampling, but I do think that the higher incidence of diabetes in some places over others bears further study.

12. SandiT

SandiT Approved members

I'm sorry, in my dismay over the steadily increasing number of diagnoses of diabetes, I forgot to mention that I am glad you took your time and effort to go see them. As a new diagnosis for whom a neighbor did the same thing, please know that it means the world.

Also, don't feel bad stopping by now and again... it's so easy to get caught up and it's depressing, too. Sometimes that outside impetus to keep in touch with someone who "gets it" can be really heartwarming. For some of us, there's a big fear of reaching out and "pestering" people. Of course, if they seem reluctant, you'd not want to push, but stopping by every once in a while can be helpful when you're in the thick and too caught up to think of anything else.

13. tiger7lady

tiger7lady Approved members

Oh my goodness I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks this is odd. In our town, about 30,000 we seem to have a higher concentration on one side of the town. There are 9 students at my son's school with Type 1 but only 1 at all the other schools. I've always thought this was strange and wondered if there is an environmental factor.

14. KylorsMom

KylorsMom Approved members

Isn't that the truth :(

15. KylorsMom

KylorsMom Approved members

At our D group on Monday the mom's were talking about the Mcdonald School Wave (a local elementary school) there were five cases of t1 in the 4/5 grade in about 6 months, all boys. And in our group there is one girl and about 6-7 boys, so weird... also when we were dx'ed about a month and a half ago the doc said we were the 4th case in three weeks, we live in a tiny town only 30,000.... there really must be a connection we just need to find what it is :)

16. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

When we were diagnosed, 7 kids in our practice was diagnosed in a two week time span. Not the same time but a fairly tall geographic area.

17. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

When my daughter was diagnosed in 8th grade there were 13 other T1's at the Middle School. At our 504 meeting the district nurse said there were 22 at the High School this year. I think there are about 1800 kids total at the school.