- advertisement -

New Diabetes awerness campaign: no mention of type 1

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by JacksonsMom, Aug 12, 2009.

1. JacksonsMom

JacksonsMom Approved members

Hey everyone,

It's been a long time since I have posted anything but I came across this on People.com this morning. I think it's wonderful to have d awareness but again there is absolutely not distinction between type 1 and type 2 here. I feel like these types of blanket statements give uneducated D people a false view of our children and lifestyles. While I agree that there should be awarness for type 2 as well, why can't they just get it right and make the distinction for everyone!

Thanks for letting me vent. I know this isn't the first article nor will it be the last!

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20297323,00.html

2. Lisa Marie & Alyssa

Lisa Marie & Alyssa Approved members

I just posted the same link. I think it is awesome that they have a new face making more people aware of diabetes. The first thing I looked for was a type1 or type 2 distinction and I understand your frustration. We are new to the whole D thing and I just love to see new people making others aware in any way.

3. JacksonsMom

JacksonsMom Approved members

Awarness is good but if it's thorough and correct. Without a distinction it gives the impression that our children have diabetes because they aren't active enough, don't eat correctly and even worse that it can be controlled without insulin (Halle Berry). Children don't need this stigmatism especially when they are dealing with a disease that that silently attacked them without them doing anything to cause it!!!!!! And children need those around them to understand what they are going through, not to cast stones and make comments when the eat a cupcake. Also, it gives a faulse impression that if we all do these things as a family, then we can keep D away. Yes, it helps with Type 2 but not Type 1 and your child could still get it!!!!

I know, I know, I'll get off my soapbox now plus, I know we have gone though this many many times before!

4. Lisa Marie & Alyssa

Lisa Marie & Alyssa Approved members

I agree with you! :)

5. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

uggh. that campaign does make it sound like "if only our kids got out and exercised"

what's funny - you look at the pics of the kids here and we've got, on the whole, very few kids who even come close to looking like couch potatoes.