- advertisement -

New D mom...not so new to D

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by NicolesMom, Mar 10, 2011.

1. NicolesMom

NicolesMom Approved members

Hello everyone!

My 11 year old daughter Nicole was diagnosed February 1st, 2011...a little over a month ago. As a nurse for 16 years, currently in pediatric intensive care, I am no stranger to diabetes, DKA, and the long term consequences of diabetes. My ex, Nicole's father is T1 since age 13...over 30 years. However, nothing compares to becoming a parent to a diabetic child.

We have been very fortunate in so many ways. Nicole had a time when she was about 7 where we had issues with nighttime accidents. Upon further investigation, she had an abnomal glucose tolerance, at least one postive antibody, and some other random symptoms. After a year of waiting for her to convert over, they doctor told us to just treat her like any kid and if she was going to be diabetic, she would be and we just had to ride it out. So, we were not totally shocked when we got her diagnosis. Gratefully, we completely avoided DKA...she went to MD for a sports lacrosse physical and her BS was 504...no classic symptoms...no ketones...A1c was 10.4. We were direct admittted to hospital, no IV's, she got to eat and was started on her insulin. 2 days of teaching later, we went home.

I am so proud of her. From day 2 she has done just about everything...in fact, she is almost too independent. She checks her sugar, gives her shots, and counts her carbs like a pro. We do occasionally given shots in those "hard to reach places" to give her abdomen a break. We like the insulin pens for now because it makes dosing easier...especially at school. We have had to stress to her that Mom has to check insulin with another clinician at work...so she needs to check with someone too. This is a work in progress.

Thanks for reading my story. Glad to be here and I look forward to getting to know you :)

2. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Hi Cheryl, welcome to you and your family:) Nicole sounds like a very mature young lady. Im glad that shes adjusting to things pretty well. Its a different life living with type 1 but a very full and joyous one for us. Come back anytime to ask questions or just to talk to people who understand what your life is like now

3. tom_ethansdad

tom_ethansdad Approved members

Welcome to CWD. It sounds like you were at least somewhat prepared, but Dx still isn't easy. Your experience of having lived with someone with T1, and as a nurse, will be a big help to you and your daughter. And you have just joined a huge group of folks who have gone through and are going through the same thing you are, and that is invaluable.

4. VinceysMom

VinceysMom Approved members

Hi Cheryl, welcome to CWD Forums. We (my son) also had a slow onset, from about May '09 until December 26 09. My sister is a T1D for over 20 yrs, diagnosed at age 20. My son did not get ill either, as my sister checked the kids once in a while, when they would ask as they thought the meter was "cool." :( (our story is in the diagnosis thread here on this site)

Please come back often for support, etc.

Best wishes,

Kathy

5. Kaylas mom

Kaylas mom Approved members

Welcome :)

6. annemarie conors mum

annemarie conors mum New Member

totally new to type 1 diabetes

hi, my wee man was diagnosed with type 1 on the 23 of feb 2011, it was totally out of the blue, in hindsight all the signs were there, we have been through a tough time since as he has also been ill with tonsilitis, he has been so amazing i am the proudest mum, but i am really struggling to accept his diagnosis :mad: annemarie xx

7. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Hello Annemarie:) Wanted to welcome you to CWD also. I know this is scary stuff at first and hard to accept. How old is your little boy? Our kids are amazing, arent they? Very brave little heroes that deal with having diabetes and not slowing down much for it. Hope to see more of you in the forums. We dont have many members from Ireland

8. Rocky Mountain Mom

Rocky Mountain Mom Approved members

Wow -- we have some things in common, my new friend! (I, too, have a recently diagnosed child, and a T1 husband. I have been a health care professional, as well.)

I look forward to getting to know you better, as we navigate these waters....

:)