- advertisement -

New book for parents written by paediatrician with Type 1 diabetes

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by rebesser, Oct 17, 2009.

1. rebesser

rebesser Approved members

Hello everyone, I wanted to introduce myself. My name is Rachel and I am a 33 year old paediatrician in the UK who also has Type 1 diabetes (diagnosed aged 9).

I wanted to let you know about my new book, Diabetes Through the Looking Glass, that is endorsed by both the JDRF and Diabetes UK.

http://www.class.co.uk/books-diabet...ing_diabetes_from_your_childs_perspective-236
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Diabetes-Through-Looking-Glass-perspective/dp/1859592090
    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss?ur...lass&x=21&y=18

The book answers questions that parents have asked me over the years, such as, What does it feel like to have a hypo? When should I talk with my child about complications? Will they grow up to lead a normal life?...It spans from diagnosis, through hypos, family and friends, injections and the teenage years, to growing up and leading an independent adult life (having a family, going to college, work etc).

I answer those questions with my professional and personal experience, through stories, poems and drawings from children with Type 1 and adults who were diagnosed in childhood, who share their stories with me. The book explains what it really feels like to grow up with diabetes from your child's point of view. Although this book is for parents, my aim was always to give children with diabetes a voice.

would be great to hear from you - maybe some of you will have contributed and came to my thank you launch?

best wishes,

Rachel (Besser)

PS I have checked with the Administrator of the CWD forum and he is happy for me to keep the post!

Last edited: Oct 21, 2009
  2. trisha

trisha Approved members

best of luck with your new book. I love your cover picture....explains so much! Is it available here in the U.S. as well?

3. rebesser

Hi Trisha

lovely to hear from you. I am so glad you like the cover - it was done by a boy called Louis, who was 12 years old at the time (13 now).

the book is available on Amazon, so sales world wide I guess....if you have problems let me know and I will ask the publishers about it (Class Health).

I was being bold posting a link on the forum, but I have been finding it difficult to get the book out there and feel a massive responsibility to all the children who contributed, to get their story heard.

hope all is well with you and thanks for getting in touch,

Rachel

4. wvchinacat

wvchinacat Approved members

5. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Hi Rachel,

I'm normally a bit cranky about posts that link directly to a "product", but I googled you and the book and think that it looks very unique and useful. :cwds: No doubt there is a need something like this.

Best of luck:cwds:

Sarah

6. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Hello and welcome. I would just suggest the next time you are in this type of situation that you contact the site administrator and get their permission before trying to sell something on their site. That being said, I think it is great that you are trying to promote awareness and information about this disease. Good luck...

Last edited: Oct 17, 2009
  7. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

This looks like a great book Rachel. I look forward to adding it to my collection.

Have you read the book " 50 Secrets of the Longest Living People with Diabetes"? it was written by Sheri Colberg and Steven Edelman. They both have type 1 diabetes also. I get alot our of books written by people that have type 1 diabetes as they understand better then anyone how a person feels with this disease.

8. rebesser

sorry!

Dear All

I am sorry if I have offended or upset anyone by mentioning my book, Diabetes Through the Looking Glass, on the forum. In my defence, I have type 1 diabetes since I was 9 and am part of the diabetes community, personally and professionally. I also saw other people mentioning products, and thought what a great way to tell people about the book.

For the record, I went part time for 2 years to gather stories from children and adults with diabetes to write the book, which I did without any payment and without any advance. I did it because I thought it was important.
    I also feel a massive responsibility to get the stories of all the children who trusted and confided in me, out there.

Thank you to all those people who have been nonetheless supportive.

I would really welcome discussion on anything contained within the book - these are issues that need to be talked about.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Best wishes,

Rachel

9. Sarah Maddie's Mom

No, I did not mean to suggest that you were doing anything wrong.:cwds: I think your book looks great and I'm sure it's one that will be of great help to many CWD families. ;)

Did I link to the right Rachel when I found the photo of a biker riding ... was it 40 miles or kilometes a day to raise $$ for D research? :D

10. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

Thanks for sharing you wrote this book. One small suggestion is to have the publisher add some pictures of what's inside the book to the Amazon.com listing to enhance the prospective buyer's decision about whether or not to purchase. :cwds:

11. rebesser

thanks

Hi Ellen

Many thanks for your message.

On the publisher's website there is a possibility of looking inside the book, as well as a separate selection of contents to view on a separate google link - under the books title and psychology.

Best wishes,

Rachel

12. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Hi Rachel! I think your book looks great, and wish you much success with it.

I'd also like to invite you to stick around and post more on our site. The insight of adults with type 1 (especially those who were diagnosed as children) is always appreciated around here. :)

13. rebesser

Dear Sarah

many thanks for your message - yes, you detect some general anxiety on my part that I ahve upset people and have done the wrong thing on the forum!! Ican only hope it will be useful.

Yes, you found me - I cycled over 500km through Vietnam and Cambodia to raise money for diabete research - wearing my pump!

best wishes,

Rachel

Last edited: Oct 18, 2009
  14. rebesser

Hi Karla

thank you so much for you kind wishes.

sure, I will happily log in and out, but it's now 1:30 am in the UK and I am off to bed soon!

best wishes,

Rachel

15. rebesser

16. rebesser

Dear Chris

I have checked with the Administrator and he is happy for me to keep the post.

best wishes,

Rachel

17. 2type1s

2type1s Approved members

I'm glad you posted about your book!!! I think it's a great way to reach parents. I have 2 daughters with D, and I'm always looking for clear, concise ways to describe this disease to new friends and teachers (and some family-STILL). I will be ordering it.
    Also congrats on the cycling! I do marathons and triathlons for "fun". Last night some of us CWD moms who live in the Middle Tennessee area got together for dinner. We talked about doing the Country Music Marathon to raise money for research and awareness. If we decide to do it..we'll post here, too!
    Please post often, your advice as a doctor that also lives with this disease is greatly needed!

18. rebesser

Dear Sharon

thank you so much for your warm welcome to the forum and for your words of encouragement. I am still amazed by the internet - I am sitting here just having had lunch with my mum in London (whom I am trying to nag/encourage into using the internet!) and you are in Nashville - amazing!

I will be very interested to hear you thoughts on my book - my feeling is that diabetes experiences are unique to each person, but there are common feelings, although I wonder if there are differences between UK and USA - you guys use more pumps, we are so behind, just as an example.

anyway, great to hear from you.

best wishes,

Rachel in London

19. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Hey - this is way OT but while I'm thinking of it ...

We spend a couple of weeks, sometimes more, in London each year visiting my in-laws. We've never had a D emergency but we've come close and I have often thought I should know where best to take Maddie in London if we had a low we couldn't manage on our own or a problem with highs and ketones ( rare for her, thank goodness). Any place you'd suggest? We are in the Gloucester Place area, near Regent's Park, close to Baker St Station.

I probably should have sent this as a PM - sorry:eek:

20. rebesser

Hi Sarah,

you will be able to go to any A&E in London - probably UCH (university college hospital) will be the closest to Regents Park - they have a small paediatric A and E, otherwise St.Thomas' at westminster, which is further away but larger and attached to the Evelina children's Hospital, where I used to work incidentally.

NHS is good for lots of things in the UK! (sorry don't want to start another forum about health insurance in USA, but couldnt help noting...)

best wishes,

Rachel