- advertisement -

New Baby!

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by Caydens_Mommy, Mar 10, 2009.

1. Caydens_Mommy

Caydens_Mommy Approved members

Want to see our new baby? We just got him Saturday.. He is 7 weeks old.. He is a flashy fawn boxer and the most loving thing you have seen, but he is ruining my carpet.. Any potty training tips ?

2. CC'sMom

CC'sMom Approved members

Oh my gosh!! He is way too cute!! (Your boys are handsome too!) What did you name him?

3. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

oh oh oh so sweet!

As for potty training tips, I believe in crate training....worked very well for our puppy....and watch your puppy every second. As soon as the puppy starts to sniff, run outside with puppy and praise praise praise.

4. MReinhardt

MReinhardt Approved members

Just love the new baby!

5. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Your boys, both big and small, look pleased as punch with the new baby! Congratulations!

It's really important to get rid of the scent of any accidents as the remaining smell is really tempting ;) I think this works well....

http://www.jbpet.com/Natures-Miracle,21.html

6. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Savy, too darn cute!!!!! I bet the boys (DH included:D) are in love with their new buddy.
    No potty training advice on my part.

7. Mama2H

Mama2H Approved members

Awe, he is adorable :D We have a reverse brindle boxer and he is the most loving yet excitable dog :eek: We also highly recommend crate training right from the start. If you odn't want to use a crate you can use the bathroom but at his age he will check on the door corners (don't ask how I know this LOL ) The whining the first couple of nights will be rough but eventually it will stop and he will start to think of the crate as his "home".

8. TEXSONMOM

TEXSONMOM Approved members

Are you sure he is real? He looks too perfect. Great pictures.

9. JacksonsMom

JacksonsMom Approved members

He is sooooo cute! I LOVE Boxers!

I too believe in crate training and the use of positive reinforcements when he does go outside.

I also think the pp suggustions of removing the smell from the old accidents is important as well!

Good luck!:)

10. kyleesmom

kyleesmom Approved members

Oh, he is so cute! Im another crate training fan. When our Shih Tzu was a puppy, he did really well at first with potty training, then we started having a lot of problems. We took him out every hour, or as soon as he woke up or started sniffing around and he still had accidents. A friend suggested a little bit of a different method and it worked wonders. She has raised dogs in apartments for years and this method was told to her by a breeder who also kept dogs in an apartment. The first day he had to stay in his crate in the same room with us pretty much all day. We took him out hourly to go potty, but he only got 10 minutes. When we took him to the door we would say something like go outside and go potty, then when we got outside we would tell him to go potty again. After 10 minutes he went back into the crate no matter what. If he went, we praised him like crazy. The second day he was in the crate like the first day, but if he went potty outside, he got to stay out of the crate and play for 10 or 15 minutes before going back in. Continue on like this, adding 5 minutes of play to every day. If they have an accident, they go straight into the cage and you start over again. After a week he would go straight to the door when he needed to go out. I dont know that it works for all dogs, but it sure did for ours. He is VERY social and has to be involved in everything that is going on. If a door opens or he hears a sound from a different room he goes running to see what we are doing. When Im in the kitchen cooking dinner he lays in the hallway between the living room and kitchen so he can keep an eye on both rooms so he doesnt miss out on something. He has to be where the people are. Ive never had another inside dog, so I dont know if this is common or not.

He isnt a crated dog anymore though. He slept in his crate at night for the first year, but after that he just slept on his pillow on my floor or on the bed with me. We also have a dog door, so he comes and goes as needed during the day while nobody is home.

11. Bsbllmom

Bsbllmom Approved members

He is adorable. I agree with the crate training. We did it with our dog and he only had 1 or 2 accidents during and I think 1 or 2 since when he was on some steroid.:mad: He scratches at the door when he has to go outside. I wish I trained him to ring a hanging bell or something.

There is plenty of info on crate training online. I just googled it and found tons of info.

Good luck.

12. KeltonsMom

KeltonsMom Approved members

Potty training tips..Crate training is great..Once he eats, take him outside, puppies are poop machines..After he drinks, take him outside..

Once he does his business outside praise him, every time he does.

Any time you see him sniffing, take him outside, if he goes potty praise him.

Boxers are smart, they learn fast..

BTW your new baby is as cute as he can be!!!:)

13. Danielle2008

Danielle2008 Approved members

He is absolutely adorable! I love boxers, they are fantastic dogs.

Congrats again on your new addition:)

14. piratelight

piratelight Approved members

Adorable. Another one for crate training here.

15. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

Abosolutely. Crate training works wonders.

16. Kalebsmom

Kalebsmom Approved members

Rocky is very very cute. I also am a huge fan of the crate training.

17. Judy&Alli

Judy&Alli Approved members

soooooooooooooo cute!!!:D We crate trained as well.

18. Wendy12571

Wendy12571 Approved members

We are odd balls here. We don't crate train, my mom calls it prison. Long story but we have a sister who brings their dog her and keeps the poor thiing locked up 23 hours a day. We actually corner train our dogs. Our dog Lilly was tied in the corner. Only allowed out of the corner if she was being watched or it was bedtime. I have had two jack russels learn very soon that if they want to sleep on the bed with mommy they can't pee or poop on it. Actually both had one accident, pee, each on the bed. They of course have slept with me since they came home.
    Wendy
    p.s. He is so cute.

19. Gaia

Gaia Approved members

He is just so adorable! Makes you just want to cuddle him right up! We have a fawn boxer, 15 months old and they are the most loving, expressive dogs I have ever seen!! We adopted him when he was 9 months old and the only time he has accidents or chews things up is if we go ANYWHERE w/o him....even for 10 minutes to the bus stop. It wasnt always possible to take him although he loves car rides, so we crate him. I hate doing it, but Id hate replacing my floors & furniture more. He's getting better w/ it. He used to run & hide when he saw the crate but now he just gives us a look like " oh, all RIGHT!' and walks right to it! My husband says its seperation anxiety. :p They are very much people dogs. We're going to try him a few minutes alone at a time. I think once they grow out of the puppy stage and realize that 'mommy' & 'daddy' come back, then the accidnts will lessen. Rip loves to climb in our laps just like a baby and loves to chew on fingers & hands....gums us really. We give him an inexpensive leather work glove to chew on. ( He goes thru dog toys like crazy! ) I definately recommend the glove for a teething dog. It doesnt tear for a really long time.

Enjoy your new baby! And expect LOTS of loving in return. Ours loves to cuddle up & sleep in bed w/ us. They are great family dogs in my opinion. And they get along great w/ other dogs. ( We also have a 9 yr old black lab & my step brother has a 4 yr old female boxer....no growling or anything....just OOOH OOOH playmates!! LOL ) Sorry to ramble. I love my furry babies :D

20. Hollyb

Hollyb Approved members

What a little beauty.

I think crate or no crate, the big thing with house training is that it requires a ton of vigilance on your part for the first long while... the more "accidents" he has the more it seems (and smells) like the right place to pee, so it's much better to prevent accidents than try to "correct" them. Crates help, but if you can really keep a constant eye on him you can get him outside BEFORE he has to pee. Keep him in the same room as whoever is "on pee duty," take him out every hour, every time he wakes up or eat, and every time he starts acting uncomfortable or like he's nosing around for a "spot." And praise him up every time he goes outside.

Good luck -- he's gorgeous!

PS Some of that enzyme cleaner that's supposed to get rid of the odour even to a dog nose might be worth getting. Otherwise every old pee spot will "call" him to pee on it again.