- advertisement -

New adventure

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Austins mom, Jan 4, 2013.

1. Austins mom

Austins mom Approved members

My son Austin is six years old and was just diagnosed three weeks ago with type 1 diabetes... What a life change. Hes been doing five shots a day and is really scared. His dr suggested a pump right away soooo... We are starting him on an Animus pump this Sunday. Im really nervous. Any tips on how to make this go smoother?:confused:

2. Brenda

Brenda Junior Member

Just be patient. You may be frustrated a lot the first week of pumping, but work with your endo/CDE and post here when you have specific questions. They usually start with very liberal basal and bolus rates so you may see higher numbers than usual. I really am not sure what advice to give you. I have no experience with pumping so soon after diagnosis. Hope someone else chimes in.

3. Ti'sMom

Ti'sMom Approved members

My DS was just diagnosed in August and started pumping in December. He is very insulin sensitive and so it was definitely needed. You'll find that it is much easier, less painful, and definitely less stressful. I was worried at first as well, but he is much happier with the pump. He started his cgm Thursday and will start the MySentry on the 21st of this month. Tristan's numbers did run higher at first but they are leveling out now. My recommendation would be to just keep reading the threads on here. I've learned so much! Good luck to you both!

4. emc71

emc71 Approved members

Hi-you must be having such a hard time right now but soon it will get easier. I am the same as Ti's Mum-my 8yr old was diagnosed in August last year and we started the pump at the start of December having been on just 2 injections a day at first, and then MDI. Already he says he would never go back to injections. Its really hard work at first trying to get the right basal rates but it makes eating much more flexible and treats can easily be accounted for. My son ate a massive chocolate Santa on Xmas day and his 2 hour reading was normal :)
    It is true that levels will probably be a bit higher for the first few weeks but its easy to correct the high numbers and they will settle in time once the rates are adjusted.
    The first few months for me were so traumatic and although Im still (and always will be) so sad about the diagnosis I now realize its not as terrible as I first thought it would be. My little boy is the same as he ever was!! :)
    Good luck with the pump...it will really make life easier for you all :)

5. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Hi and welcome:cwds:

My son has always been on the pump. There is no easy way to make it less scary, but you can use a reward system, or just plain encouraging, to help out a bit. Set aside a calm time, let people know not to distburb you, put on a movie or let him play a game (I've resorted to let mine play his Nintendo DS while I change the site:eek:). It needs to be done, so try to go about it in the calmest way possible. Let your kid help with setting things up if he wants - holding things like the disinfectant wipes or whatever - and say thank you at the end. No more, no less.

It should get easier with time. You should be able to reach a place where it becomes easier for you to do site changes. Sometimes, though, site changes need to be done in an emergency, so be prepared for those times.:cwds:

And I'm a big fan of using a numbing agent, like Emla. When possible, use it. Others opt not to. My kid prefers it.

If you're thinking about pump pouches at all, there's a lot of great sites out there. I really like the SpiBelt pouches, but MyPumpTastic is also good, along with PumpWear Inc. Shop around.

6. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

Absolutely agree here! We leave it on much longer than recommended...about 45 minutes before the pump site change. The 10 to 15 minutes recommended just didn't work for us. I also recommend a nice distraction during site changes. For my son, it was letting him choose any TV cartoon he wanted during site changes. Now...he just wants his IPod Touch...but letting them do something pleasant during the site change can make things easier on both of you.

Patience is also key. Frustration and confusion at first is common...so don't let that get you down. The pay off once rates are right and BGs settle down is huge!! More control, precision and freedom....we would NEVER go back to MDI.

Good luck.:cwds:

7. Austins mom

He has his first set on since yesterday. He chose his butt, like love handle area. Hes now regretting that... Any suggestions on easier sites??

8. Austins mom

Austin has been pumping for three weeks now. He loves it! Thanks for all the kind suggestions, very much appreciated