- advertisement -

New 504/IEP for full day school

Discussion in 'School and Daycare' started by namacker, Aug 1, 2011.

Tags:
  1. namacker

namacker New Member

Hi everyone,
    This is my first post, though I have been a member for a few months.
    My son is 6, almost 7 and he is going in to first grade in a few weeks. He was diagnosed June 24, 2010 and has been on a Medtronic pump since last July.

We had an IEP in place for him for half day kindergarten and it worked out well, thanks to an amazingly cooperative and helpful school nurse.

My question is: now that he will be in full day school, do I need a new IEP, or can I just request to modify the one we already have?

Last school year, we had him tested by the nurse about 1/2 way through his school day, twice if it was gym day. Can anyone suggest a plan for a day that will start around 9 am and end around 3:30? He will eat lunch packed by me around noon, but there is no snack period like there is in kindergarten.

Thank you!
    :confused:

2. CAGrandma

CAGrandma Approved members

There is a big difference between an IEP and a 504. IMO every child with diabetes should have a 504 to insure that they receive the help they need without penalty. If everything is going well now, then it should be easy to get, and having it later on (if things are not so great) will be an advantage.
    Does your child need insulin at lunchtime? Does he need to test at lunch, before or after PE, before going home at 3:00? What about birthday party and special event snacks? What about field trips? Do you really want him walking to an office by himself if he feels low?

3. selketine

selketine Approved members

You cannot have both an IEP and a 504. If you have an IEP in place already, then you should be able to modify that for 1st grade. Any diabetes accommodations that typically are put into the 504 will go into the IEP. The IEP offers similar - if not better - protections than a 504.

The big difference between an IEP and 504 is that learning must be affected to get an IEP - and usually some special services are required to bring the child up to grade level in that area (for example both of my kids briefly had IEP's while getting speech therapy at school - once they moved out of speech they went to a 504).

I also wanted to say welcome to CWD and unfortunately though you've posted in the right place for your question - most people post their school questions on the main parents board so you might want to re-post over there as well.:cwds: