- advertisement -

Nervous??

Discussion in 'Teens' started by Poodle, Jul 8, 2011.

1. Poodle

Poodle Approved members

I am kinda nervous about getting the CGM. is it going to hurt going in? Does it feel like te regular site? I am getting the medtronic CGM. I just dont know. Can someone help?

2. malyssa

malyssa Approved members

The cgm is awesome! It's understandable to be nervous; I was too. But, I absolutely love it! I just started the MM cgm a few weeks ago, and I wouldn't turn back. I don't find it to be all that painful...but, if you do, maybe your endo can give you an rx for some kind of numbing cream.

If you absolutely hate it at first, don't ditch it right away, give it a chance. My trainer (who is awesome btw) told me to just give it at least a month to decide if I didn't like it at first. But, I was hooked by the second sensor. There is definitely a learning curve, and I am fairly new, and still learning about this particular cgms. But I'd say give it a chance! It's okay to be scared. There are many things about diabetes that are frightening. It's a scary disease, and I'll admit that needles, to this day still freak me out and I'm 20 years old and have had diabetes for 5.5 years. So it's ok to be scared/nervous. But just remember you have everyone here to talk through things with/to support you!

Good luck with whatever you choose to do! ANd keep us posted! :cwds:

3. Poodle

Poodle Approved members

Oh my gosh you are so nice! Thanks for your answer! I hear it hurts more going in then the regular site is. Also do you have to put the CGM on your stomach??

4. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I use the Medtronic CGM as well. I love it. It completely changes D management to be able to see roughly what BG you're at and whether you're rising, dropping or staying steady. It means that I mostly catch lows before they get too scary, and I can treat highs aggressively without so much fear about overcorrecting and going low.

It does hurt for a second when I insert it (yes, probably more than pump sites) but there are plenty of numbing creams out there if you decide you'd rather not have that.

I wear it on my upper arm and thighs mostly, rarely on my stomach. I prefer to keep my stomach for pump sites, because I find that's where they work best for me. Other people also insert CGM in their upper bottom area, and I've done that before but it's not my favourite site.

5. Poodle

Poodle Approved members

I have my site on my thighs and upper bottom area. Can I wear it on my thighs all the time? I hate things on my stomach but I think this would be worth it.

6. emm142

emm142 Approved members

It depends how well your skin does with it. Of course, scar tissue can build up over time and that's not great, so you should try to rotate sites as much as possible. That said, I know people who have used the same area for sites / sensors for a long time and aren't having problems, so you may be able to stick with thighs.

7. Poodle

Poodle Approved members

Alright thanks. I am still A little nervous. Not as much tho.

8. Leah

Leah Approved members

I have the medtronic CGM, and it is great!
    The CGM hurts a little, just like most pumps and blood sugar monitoring devices. I usually put numbing cream on my site for an hour before inserting, to make it hurt less. I really like that the CGM site and "controller" are waterproof, and that the site is so small. I have heard that medtronic is working to make the CGM with a smaller needle.
    I hope that you like the medtronic CGM! Good luck!:D

9. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Medtronic has actually already made the CGM with a smaller needle, and it is available in a lot of European countries, including where I live. Hopefully it will be available for those of you in the US soon.

10. Poodle

Poodle Approved members

This may sound...well crazy....but I HATE needles. I know it's weird! Lol but I think I might be fine.

11. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Doesn't sound that weird to me. (I'd find it a lot weirder if you liked needles!)

12. Poodle

Poodle Approved members

Hahaha! Thats funny. Btw, I saw you lived in Europe! How cool?!