- advertisement -

Nervous about school lunch..

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Mom2Deacon, Aug 18, 2010.

1. Mom2Deacon

Mom2Deacon Approved members

Deacon is going to Kindergarten tomorrow. I am worried about him and the lunch. His teacher is going to watch him get his food at the cafeteria, put what he got on a post-it and take it to the nurse. Deacon is to bring his tray up to the nurse when he is done eating. The nurse is also going to check on how he is doing throughout his meal. She has another child with diabetes who will be eating lunch at the same time as Deacon too. She is in 1st grade and was diagnosed over the summer.

This set-up is different than his old school where he ate with his classmates and teachers. He was at early childhood last year.

What do you guys do for your 5 or 6 year olds and school lunches?

--Sara

2. sammysmom

sammysmom Approved members

That is exactly what Sam did in kdg...when he was finished, he would bring his tray to the office and the health tech added up his finished carbs and dosed him. Now that Sam is older he gets 100% bolus up front but only becuase he LOVES to eat and has no issues finishing everything that we pack or what he buys.

3. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

Last year, DS was in 2nd grade, and I packed his lunch for most of the year. I put a paper inside telling what the carb count was for everything, he showed his lunch box to the secretary (no nurse) and she helped him figure out what his dose was, and he gave himself his shot.

The schools usually have pretty good carb information, but it might be easier to get the right carb count if you pack the lunch (depending on how lunch is set up). It's more work for you in the morning, but, at least for me, it was worth it, if for nothing besides my own peace of mind.

HTH!

4. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Jack brings his lunch most days. I put a note card with the carb count for everything in his lunchbox. He goes in for his pre-lunch BG check and gets a 20 carb pre-bolus. When he's done, he takes his lunch bag back to the nurse and she doses him for the rest of his meal. If he buys hot lunch, he goes for the check and predose, and just brings his tray to her after lunch so she can see what he's eaten.

5. Ginagbaby1

Ginagbaby1 Approved members

David will usually buy lunch 2 x out of the week and take lunch the rest of the days. If he takes lunch, I will put a note in his lunch box and if he buys lunch, we go over the menu in the am and he decides what he wants to eat. If he buys lunch, we'll put a note in his pocket with the carbs. He's also good about eating the food that he's agreed to so e pre-bolus for all his food up front. He goes to the nurse for his pre-lunch bs check and bolus about 5 minutes before the rest of his class goes to lunch. When his friends come out to lunch he is usually already waiting for them at the table. The nurse's office is right across from the lunch tables so when he's done he peaks in and tells her that he's finished all his food.

6. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

This year, DD will be eating lunch at school (she did at dx, but I went to school at lunch time until she switched to a 1/2 day program).

I met with the school nurse the other day -- I'll be packing lunch and providing a detailed carb count. DD will go to nurse's office before lunch for BG check and correction if she is over her range -- we haven't decided on whether or how much to pre-bolus, but I think 15-20 g. would be good. She'll then go have lunch and return to the nurse's office with what remains of her lunch and the nurse will bolus as needed.

As I write this, I wish we had "practiced" lunch over the summer.