- advertisement -

Nervous about pumping

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Shely, Nov 25, 2009.

1. Shely

Shely Approved members

Hello, my daughter Sabrie was diagnosed with type 1 on 2/27/09 which was about 1 month and 1 week before her 5th birthday. I sat up for 3 nights crying thinking how would we be able to handle this. It is still a struggle but managing her diabetes has become a part of our life. Sabrie's doctor has approved her for an insulin pump and I am a little nervous. Can anyone share their thoughts and experience with pump therapy?

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I think we were ALL nervous at first ;) It's a huge transition - but it can be, and is for most, a really great tool. For your daughter, I'd recommend gradually introducing the pump: talk about it, show her the pump, buy her a cute pump pouch, etc. But allow her a bit of time, maybe even a few weeks to adjust to the change. You, should learn as much about the pump and it's operation as you can from your CDE, the training DVD and here :cwds: For me the infusion set was a big hang up - I really needed to see some and try them on myself and my dh before I felt comfortable inserting one on Maddie. Hmmm...I know that there is more but just keep in mind that you've learned so much since dx, you can learn this too.:cwds:

3. LadyBug

LadyBug Approved members

i was 12 when i got my pump, but i loved it from the first. the freedom it gave me i loved-being able to eat what i wanted, when i want was so amazing after almost 2 years on the military regimen that is MDI. i also loved not having to have 'big needles' everyday. if your daughter is reluctant, maybe sharing these things with her will help her.
    which pump are you considering?
    after using Animas pumps for almost 4 years, i have nothing but good things to say about them, except that they do have the tubing. i've gotten kinda sick of that, so i'm switching to the omnipod, but as a younger child wearing the pump belt, wearing shorts under skirts/dresses, etc wouldn't be nearly as annoying as it is to me as a 10th grader(i'm guessing!).

hopefully that helps a little bit:)!

4. RosemaryCinNJ

RosemaryCinNJ Approved members

We are one month into pumping..(dx 2 and a half years ago)..I can honestly tell you that I love it and so does my 3 year old..Please know that you will be trained and given lots of instruction on the pump..It is normal to be nervous..I was too..but more nervous at dx when I had to give shots! Do you know which pump you will be using? Good luck and you have lots of support here too as well..

5. Toni

Toni Banned

I did not take to the pump right away. She was having a lot of highs, which I was not used to dealing with. I was very nervous about the site changes -- Sis did them all at first. But the pump grows on you. I would say in one or two months, you would never give it back. I would have a very difficult time if I had to use MDI to manage her diabetes now (puberty/teens). Yes, it is an adjustment. As long as you check BG at least 8 times a day, you will be just fine.

6. Shely

Shely Approved members

Thank you all for your thoughts!!:) We have chosen the Animas One Touch Ping for Sabrie's first pump.

7. tom_ethansdad

tom_ethansdad Approved members

That's a great choice for a pump, one of several very good options available. Like you, we were nervous when Ethan first started pumping a few months ago. But having made the transition from injections to pumping, I would not want to go back. For us it adds a lot of flexibility and additional control that we just weren't able to get on injections alone. The thing that made us nervous is that the pump is always there, always attached, always present; and so we thought this would increase the visibility of diabetes in our lives. But that just hasn't happened. If anything it has decreased it. With his pump in his spibelt and his tubing tucked away, it is often impossible to tell he even has a pump. He only gets poked every three days when we change his infusion set rather than getting poked multiple times a day with injections. We have had to increase the number of times we check BG from 5 times/day to 9 times/day (or at least we felt like we needed to do this). The reason for this is that with injections and a basal insulin always in him, there were times when we felt more comfortable not checking, knowing that he always had some insulin in him. But with a pump, if anything happens to the site or to the pump, and the fact that the pump only delivers fast acting insulin, he can quickly go to having no insulin at all. But a few more BG checks each day is greatly offset by the added flexibilty and level of control that we have been able to achieve, and all of our other concerns never materialized.

8. Denise

Denise Approved members

I was very nervous for our pump start as well. I started back on my anxiety meds b/c I was having chest pains (ekg ruled out heart issues). It's a HUGE responsibility..taking care of our D kids..any change to our routines is stressful! Our transition to the pump was great and Molly loves her pump.

9. SherryFromCAli

SherryFromCAli Approved members

My son has been pumping for 8 months with the minimed 722. He will be 13 next month. We love the pump - now. I was ready to throw it thru the window within the first couple of weeks - it was just a lot of work at first. But, Justin's issues mostly stem from puberty, growth hormones and the fact that he is very athletic. Pumping is going well and he loves not having to do shots. At first I thought the pump was a bad choice for him because he seemed to have better control with MDI. Now, I realize it was the best choice for him - he's much happier with the pump and his A1C's are showing some improvement. I would recommend the pump for any diabetic - no matter how young or old. Good luck - you will do great!!

10. sam1nat2

sam1nat2 Approved members

It is scary to have a device administer insulin. I remember being so scared the night before we started pumping!!! Just like anything, change takes some time to get used to.
    For us, its been a great thing!! We took a 5 day pump vacation this summer and my son was begging to go back on it.

Just know that like anything else, it is a process of trial and error to get basals right---and as soon as you get them right, they go through a growth spurt.

My only advice is to test often and ask lots of questions here!!